Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 coilover upgrade , Ohlins Road & Track or KW V3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 07:35 PM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Every car owner has their personal preference on what dampers to use and advocate a choiced source/shop based on their personal experience. All in good intention. My vote goes to electronic suspension, DSC Sport controller / Tractive DDA damper in particular. My 997 GT3 runs this package. Has been for 5 trouble-free years. On track it runs Cup car lap times, on street it handles bumps better than a new Honda Civic. Quite amazing actually. Its so versatile that I only use the Sport mode. With DSC I set the Sport mode to have a Damping Range of 10%-100% of the dampers. DSC is an active system that's load-dependent, with the primary load being G-force. Once the Damping Range is assigned, when I drive to work or to track the G-force on public roads is pretty low(usually 0g to 0.5g), this accesses the softer end of the Damping Range. When I want to take corners aggressively or need to brake quickly the damping force immediately increases to handle the load. The G-force data rate is 500x per second and the Tractive dampers' reaction time to the DSC commands is 166x per second. Obviously on track with the G-force well exceeding 1.0g DSC accesses the stiffer end of the damping range. Cup car stiff, only when needed. There are many threads on how great DSC is and attested by so many users, even on OEM PASM dampers. Enter the Tractive dampers, an ultra high quality damper designed and built to meet OE motorsport criteria using Tractive's patented DDA electronic valve that is the fastest reacting electronic Spool Valve in the world metering fluid flow to a traditional motorsport shim stack to produce infinitely shaped damping curves in real time to the driving situation. By the way, Tractive isn't a household name because Tractive is a relatively young company. A young and fast growing company with latest awarded contract by Dallara and RUF. For a dual-purpose car the only limitation is the spring rate selection because unlike the electronics, we can't adjust the spring rate onces the springs are installed on the damper. But even so, with 390/720 or 560/840 or in my case 670/1000 in-lbs springs, the ride is pleasant, made possible by the advanced electronics and DDA Spool Valve technology. Lastly, it takes more than the dampers and springs to make for a positive user experience. In that, the rest of the car's setup is critical. Respectfully speaking some users are unable to identify what makes a car not feel right or to their expectation. So in my position, I work actively with the end users to identify what needs to be changed based on feedback be it a sway bar setting or toe. As a joke, I not only sell Active suspension systems, I have to be Active in the setup support to ensure the end users have a positive experience even if I have to look outside of the parts that I provided. Having all the racing setup notes available for 996/997/991 from the pro racing side of the TPC definitely helps me do my job in achieving positive results for the end user swiftly. For what's worth, I am more than a passionate GT3 owner and driver. I manage a race car shop, do parts and setup development, test drive a lot of cars with different suspension on them for the purpose of evaluation and identify attributes so that I can continuously create better products. I have been at the job for 24 years and 2 months. Anyone who has bought a suspension package from me can tell you that I supply the setup specs from ride height, camber, toe to bar settings. And provide the after-sale setup support based on driver feedback. It takes a lot to make for a positive experience and often requires pulling every resources within the company.

That's my shameless spiel. Thank you for reading. We welcome inquiries on electronic suspension packages. I'll be working the SEMA show next week if any one wants a face to face.

Tom
info@tpcracing.com

Here's a youtube video from the Summer-
https://youtu.be/shTji-oViuM
Hello Tom
Thank you - very impressive credentials indeed!
I am in Malaysia a long way from you so am not sure how to proceed. In the next few weeks I will see if the Ohlins can be tweaked to improve. Reading the Tractive it sure sounds like what I should have installed!
Will keep posted. Thanks again for your information!
Cheers
Kheong
Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would strongly suggest you experiment with different damper settings on the Ohlins. I have found that a change of just one click makes a noticeable difference, at least on the track. I use different damper settings for each of the different tracks that I drive. It's not as convenient as PASM which can be changed on the fly, but the Ohlins have a much finer degree of tuning capability with all the settings that are provided.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 952 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by leongpengkheong
Hello Tom
Thank you - very impressive credentials indeed!
I am in Malaysia a long way from you so am not sure how to proceed. In the next few weeks I will see if the Ohlins can be tweaked to improve. Reading the Tractive it sure sounds like what I should have installed!
Will keep posted. Thanks again for your information!
Cheers
Kheong
Hello Kheong,
Thank you for reading my post and for your kind words. Over the years I have successfully supported users remotely in Asia, Europe, and Middle East. I agree with others that you should play around with the damper settings on the Ohlins since they are already on the car. If there's something I could possible do in the future please don't hesitate to email me directly. tchan@tpcracing.com
Best Regards,
Tom

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 11-03-2019, 03:18 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a data point here for anyone reading but isn't in the market for full coilovers: I have bbi bump steer kit, tarett drop links, stock shock/springs with DSC and am very happy with the out-of-box settings on the DSC with this setup. it was less than $2k (!) for all this stuff which is a pretty good value for a weekend car.

it feels better than my 991 turbo S now in terms of ride quality on the street. the stock porsche gt3 pasm 'sport' setting was getting to be pretty brutal on the street. when i was younger i could handle stiff-all-the-time but now it's just exhausting to drive.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:38 AM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Latest on the Ohlins Road and Track - after several outings with clicks towards the stiffer end of the damper settings on all four ends , I found the "best" handling for the hillclimbs and B Roads I drive on. Best defined as confident - hard /trail braking into corners good, loads up nice during and grips well on fast exits. I didn't touch the original Anti Roll bar settings. The ride is surprisingly comfortable overall even with the PMS rose jointed lower arms and torque arms installed earlier before the swap to Ohlins.

So my initial feedback " PASM was better" was hasty and I can now change it to " as good as PASM but more comfortable". Happy !

You've been great ! May thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and valuable comments!

Old 12-28-2019, 11:50 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Tom is the best. You will likely not find anyone who will be more helpful and responsive to your setup questions.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:00 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Great deal for someone for Ohlin TTX https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997...4-ee13b594a150
Old 12-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Great deal for someone for Ohlin TTX https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997...4-ee13b594a150
add in a rebuild and revalive and lots of parts to use them.... also i believe the rear connection to the upright may be different on the cup. And you’d need to check shaft length for droop
Old 12-29-2019, 11:17 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
add in a rebuild and revalive and lots of parts to use them.... also i believe the rear connection to the upright may be different on the cup. And you’d need to check shaft length for droop
yes even with all that. They are about 11k new.....

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 coilover upgrade , Ohlins Road & Track or KW V3 ?