D1ESEL
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Great videos!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:27 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

Wow. This is my new favorite thread. I love tracking my 997 gt3 at Sebring and hopefully over time will connect with some other guys at the track like you all have done. I know some of you have moved on to 991 gt cars (which are obviously faster) but do you ever miss the good old days rowing gears on the track?
Old 08-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

It's fun to mix it in there sometimes but I don't really notice any more or less enjoyment due to manual vs dct on track. They have their pros and cons for having fun.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Pick up day

Hanging w old friends
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Good times. I remember the cars on track, even that session.
I was smiling then as I’m smiling now watching it..

More beating on 4.0..
https://youtu.be/E4FshOvXm88

Mr. Adair...

Curious, what was your max oil temp seen on the hottest of days? I’m curious if it aligns with a 3.8rs or if there was additional cooling added?
Old 08-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 143 Posts

OP - Nice driving!
Old 08-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

Great thread, great driving and great looking RS.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

i bought my 3.8RS from Mooty....with 1,000 miles for $115,000...lol nobody wanted it
u are smart and listened to trakcar "just wire him the damn money and stop asking questions"
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

izzone, nice driving and nothing like playing with friends on track

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I remember the last track day mooty did in a 3.8RS. He should have kept that car, that was a GOOD one, proper modded too.

I'm not fully DE retired, a few days a year in my 964.
Old cars fast is awesome. Finding myself reaching for my orange and red car more often these days. I'll likely spend mezger $ on an engine I've started for it...
Early morning canyon runs or afternoon coastal cruise. Blasts up and back to NorCal. We really do have some of the best roads in the world here and I try to exploit them all.
Gross-polluted PCH last night with the wife driving to dinner

The Greek posted some video of him trying to keep up w/ me in my 964 in the canyons lol He's fast but I had a 100hp and 20 year chassis advantage hahahaha

I think most of the DE buddies are still buddies, we just do different things now.
hahhaha, I know the feeling all too well

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I’m sure you guys wouldn’t trade those days for nothing. Great background on guys I’ve always read about on Renn but didn’t know the full story. Love how I’m still getting bits and pieces of Mooty’s 3.8 and 4.0 stories...
I was young once. now I just drive old **** with 75hp to buy coffee.
now if you call up your gal and speed up that Daytona delivery, I may feel a little younger ;-)
Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

old days were great
even if one didn't track, they actually drove their cars
today, not so much
25 mile cars are too hi mile and you cant flip them for profit haha
Old 08-17-2019, 06:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I'm still laughing, well played..

I thought my comment might strike a nerve, thanks for playing along
Back in 2009-2013 A comment like that would have set off a thread on its own in the GT3RS DE CUP LOL.

Originally Posted by Izzone
Back then a group of us were a rounding error apart in lap times...equal tires / equal car. I really just enjoy the old videos. Peter and I traveled north to south in the USA twice with these cars chasing each orher around, learning tracks together

My 3.8RS has
entire suspension mono balled
akrapovic sport cup
cup dif
full Clubsport cage
zero option / radio delete car
heavy gmg monoblock wheels (18”)

peter and I ran these out of date toyo RA1....most everyone else Hoosiers Or slicks . So we always had work to do...and depending on how cool out the lap times would go up and down a few seconds

I left the de world in 2012, went vintage racing in a 72 RSR clone...got full time pro coaching, burned hundreds of thousands of dollars....and hung it up to start a family in 2015. Watching these old videos cracks me up how much my driving has changed since.....pro coaching works, getting u faster but safer
I think after 2010, it was 10-20 guys within a hair, a second a lap max depending on tires and hangover, really...

Someone say beating on a 4.0?

I’m sure you guys wouldn’t trade those days for nothing. Great background on guys I’ve always read about on Renn but didn’t know the full story. Love how I’m still getting bits and pieces of Mooty’s 3.8 and 4.0 stories...
It was racing, really. Probably the closest driving ive done, including 3 years of PCA racing LOL.
No that we are a little older and no wiser and got the racing thing out of our system, I predict that 10 of the old GT3 DE CUP guys will be back, we're planning Serbing a few weekends and maybe Daytona, if we can run windows up.
It will be something to see most of them in a 991.2, the last few years nobody gave me really much of a challenge at Sebring, but these guys will change that quickly.

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Good stuff.

if a parrot could talk - lol

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Wow. This is my new favorite thread. I love tracking my 997 gt3 at Sebring and hopefully over time will connect with some other guys at the track like you all have done. I know some of you have moved on to 991 gt cars (which are obviously faster) but do you ever miss the good old days rowing gears on the track?
Some of the 2011-2012 Mancation / Winterfest / 48 houratsebring threads are pretty funny, 997 is great, you really need to be a good driver to get the last seconds out of it, the 991 Its the same, but even beginners can get within a few seconds of the fast guys.
Less technique involved. But I prefer PDK and 991RS now.

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Curious, what was your max oil temp seen on the hottest of days? I’m curious if it aligns with a 3.8rs or if there was additional cooling added?
I don't remember any difference in the cooling system, or any temp issues. Only on the hottest day with the nose firmly under another wing did the oil get close to 250F
4.0 good engine but the 3.8 was a little faster in the corner or certainly no slower. All else the same, brakes, etc.

Originally Posted by mooty
u are smart and listened to trakcar "just wire him the damn money and stop asking questions"
Sometimes there is just too much risk in asking. :-)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Holdens
OP - Nice driving!
Thank u...we spent a lot of time practicing back then

i remember that conversation...I should have listened when u tried to fire sale me ur 4.0 and peter bought savys

old days were great
even if one didn't track, they actually drove their cars

today, not so much
25 mile cars are too hi mile and you cant flip them for profit haha
No joke...when I came back to rennlist after a few years off...I was like wtf

threads about out how big the gas tank, if the car had lifters on the front, how much cow was on the dash, how pridledged u were to hsbe Porsche charge u an a$$ raping for CXX

paint to sample cars sat at dealer bs j them and sold under msrp....we thought it was stupid to pay for a color....cup cars come in white....shouldn’t a gt3ts?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
So after pretty intense DE and then competitive vintage racing, post retirement, what is the car hobby for you these days and what keys do you want to reach for?
Hmm funny question

i miss racing, but it would be cheaper to inject heroin. Got married, had a kid...had three Mechsnical failures (wrecks)....had a 996 cup snap an axle T1 at Sebring at track out and hit the wall pretty hard...blew a braided brake line in vintage car into a brake zone...the wall stopped me...and hung it up....if u race it’s not if u wreck it’s when...faster u go and the higher the grip the tire the quicker stuff breaks

all theee in the garage...I’ll take the 991 touring every time. My favorite car that Porsche made...probably my favorite car I’ve ever driven. I daily it, only car I drive really. I just don’t track it, I like it too much

I bought the 997RS for track days. Not a great street car, but absolute magic on the track...very close to 997.2 cup with paddles fun

I keep my 997 for the memories...too many to sell it....

but it if I had to have one car only..the 991 touring hands down
Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^If I lived in a driving city, 991 touring would be an incredible option for fun-dd; as you said, maybe best ever (when I was in Houston, would have be the perfect daily). Now that I'm in London/NYC, I get maximum 1x/wk opportunity to get the hell out of town and go drive somewhere (when weather and schedule permit). So I'm looking for hair-on-fire experience and purely for fun; not at all transportation or that's gonna be in an suv or public transportation. The new stuff (991/981/718) doesn't give me that unless it's on a track. So, I tend to reach for the keys on something that's more of a PITA but makes hairs on back-of-neck stand up, at no-jail-time-speeds. Even a 997 is challenged in that niche sometimes. and i think 997.1rs maybe better than the 7.2 or 4.0 for no-jail-time street fun. On track the .2 and 4.0 destroy the 7.1 (stock). But I'm starting to lean more towards even older AC stuff or CGT because they are fun at SLOW speeds. Saturday, I got glares/tail-gated by a half dozen cops and pulled over by one (in 4.0). "U weren't speeding but it sure sounded like you were because i could hear you gunning it miles away; WARNING." I was driving it like a grandma. In fairness I usually avoid saturday afternoons in the summer because cops are out in FULL FORCE and traffic sucks no matter where u go.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

What % of the "old school" DE crowd has moved on to 991 or other platform? How many still flogging a 997 on track? Seems to be a dying breed.

Quick Reply: Old School - RS4.0 and RS3.8.....on Traqmate HD