Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Overrevs in range 5... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 02:33 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah the stripe has grown on me for sure...

oh oh I will be giving “Bertha” the blue Porsche (from my son) a workout in the morning! Hoping to take some pictures outside as well.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 03:47 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1
Can someone school me on the advantages/disadvantages of a .1 RS vs. a .2 RS? I’ve seen several people say that the 997.1 is better looking, but what is it that everyone thinks is so much better looking? I know the .2 has more HP, but how about the driving experience? Is there that much of a difference in how the .1 drives vs. .2?

Also, why do almost none of the .1 RS’s not have LWB’s? Shouldn’t that be pretty standard for such a car?
I've owned both and personally I prefer the .1rs over the .2 (most prefer .2). Looks are subjective, and I am in the camp that .1 looks better. Regardless of the color, I prefer the .1 styling over .2. Again, personal preference so there's no right or wrong.

Regarding driving, the .2rs is faster, has more torque down low and shorter gearing (many believe the gearing alone is worth it). The .2rs feels more planted and stable. The more twitchy feeling of the .1rs feels more raw to me and is more fun. Bucket seats are standard on the .2rs while the .1 only had the sport (sofa seats) seats as buckets were not an option back then.

When comparing a 997gt3rs (any generation) to any other 911, then these minor differences are negligible. You're picking at straws on these differences. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either one. When I had my .1rs, I wanted a .2rs. Down the road, I got into a .2rs but when I saw an orange .1rs on the road, I wanted it back. I regretted selling the .1 and eventually sold the .2rs to get back into an orange .1rs (which I paid more for than the .2rs).
Old 06-29-2019, 04:17 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1
So, are you saying that the RS and GT3 feel very similar or are you saying the .1’s and .2’s feel very close... or both?... implying that the RS might not be worth the extra $?
I have driven .2 RS and non RS (mine) back to back at auto-x and for me personally the price premium does not seem to be in-line with slightly more crisp feeling of the RS. My car has the monoball rear control arms and center mufler delete so perhaps with those 2 items I have inches just a tad bit closer to the RS. I understand that it's not just about the pure performace numbers I don't want to knock any of the RS owners but after driving it I felt like I got my non RS at a discount.

Plus to be honest I think the .2 non-RS rear wing is the best among all 997 GT3 variants.

In terms of production numbers all variants of the 997 GT3s are very close to each other so in terms of uniqueness there isn;t much diffrerence among them.

I like the wide body rear of the RS, I do not like the plastic wheel arch extenders on the front thought.. they seem like a budget way of widening the track.

To each his own.... that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream
bweSteve (07-03-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78
I have driven .2 RS and non RS (mine) back to back at auto-x and for me personally the price premium does not seem to be in-line with slightly more crisp feeling of the RS. My car has the monoball rear control arms and center mufler delete so perhaps with those 2 items I have inches just a tad bit closer to the RS. I understand that it's not just about the pure performace numbers I don't want to knock any of the RS owners but after driving it I felt like I got my non RS at a discount.

Plus to be honest I think the .2 non-RS rear wing is the best among all 997 GT3 variants.

In terms of production numbers all variants of the 997 GT3s are very close to each other so in terms of uniqueness there isn;t much diffrerence among them.

I like the wide body rear of the RS, I do not like the plastic wheel arch extenders on the front thought.. they seem like a budget way of widening the track.

Have had both 997.2 Gt3 and currently 997.2 Gt3 Rs. Love both for different reasons.

Its quite simple in regards to difference.
Gt3 / Gt3 Rs
1. Badge
2. Practice game / Real game
3. Daily / not really a daily with lwbs
4. Very special / even more special
5. Freeway kinda no problem / freeway waste of mileage
6. Passengers ok / passengers get in correctly, don’t damage my seats
7. Looks beautiful but parked next to RS, it looks longer
8. High gearing / low gearing - imo big plus for RS
9. Light weight flywheel / imo big plus for Rs
10. Big *** / imo big plus for Rs
11. More user friendly / less user friendly
12. Less attention / more attention
13. Less rear stability / more rear stability
14. Less planted / more planted

They are very similar in nature but far enough apart to make a difference on a drive to drive daily comparison. I like the casual feel of the GT3, its so amazing as a daily, the Rs on the other hand is more of a non-daily.

Bottom line, as Porsche or whoever said the following is spot on.
Gt3 is a street car that can be taken to track , Rs is a track car that can be taken to the street.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:04 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

thanks for the summary 65er, I guess you are leading onto an important question, how much do you plan to enjoy the car on the street. I find my car to be on the cusp of user friendlieness for the street. If it was any lower, louder, stiffer, bigger I would not enjoy it more.
bweSteve (07-03-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
At this RPM several things can and often happen: valve float and collision with piston, and the flywheel / clutch get messed up. As others have mentioned, get someone you absolutely trust to run the #'s, and bargain accordingly.

Ray
This is the most important factor. My first Porsche 964, missed a shift 5th to 2nd instead of 4th, flywheel tore apart. Porsche dealer repaired car, cost me 5k back in 1998, was broke but loved the car, car never drove the same, no one could tell but I could. Things could bend, you won’t know unless you knew the car, but they are bent and will take away from the overall feel of the car.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:28 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78

Well said, and I am SOOO right there with ya Noro. I feel the same exact way about my .2 nonRS. Plus, once I found the right example with ALL the spec options I wanted, that made all the difference in the world to me. And this is why my car is exactly the perfect fit FOR ME.

And as everyone has already said, that's why this 997 GT3 lineage is so perfect, because there is a flavor for each of us. Heck, Wider911 and I disagree completely on the styling of the .1 verses the .2, and yet we're friends (locally)!! In fact we are DUE to do a drive together with both cars SOON.

=Steve

Quick Reply: Overrevs in range 5... need advice