Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Overrevs in range 5... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

As an owner of possibly the highest mileage 7.2 RS in North America I figured I'd weigh in.

My car had 59k miles when I bought it in 2013. At least 3 people passed on the car before I entered the negotiations. My car has plenty of small cosmetic defects that would drive some owners crazy, but the DME scan was very clean. The car currently has 67.5k miles and I've never loved it more and never regretted for a second buying it. It brings as much joy to me today (if not more) than the day I bought it.

My point, if I have one at all, is to focus on what makes you happy when you pick your GT3 RS. I could get bummed out ALL DAY LONG that my car has 'too much mileage' but I don't. I bought it well (at the top of my price range at the time) and have enjoyed every single mile and smile the car has given me. Although resale value was initially a minor thought for me when I bought the car, it has become a non-factor for me. Buy the car you love and pay a fair price and be done with it. Life is short, drive an RS!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:55 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Lots of good advice here so far. My 2 cents it to not buy from Mr Adair as his last RS was a terrible color...... oh wait! I’m loving this car.
I'm diggin' that color too!!!

.... Steve T & others have said it well above. Figure out what car is going to MOST make you happy first, then set your budget and be prepared to bump that budget when you find the RIGHT example FOR YOU.

in my case, I preferred to have the non-RS, and thus it was much easier on the wallet to find the perfect example, exact spec I wanted, & it just so happened to have only 10k miles (bonus yes, but I would have taken a 30K mile car if it ticked all my boxes),... and I only had to bump my budget by about 10%.

... hey Bill,... funny how your Aqua Blue looks so different,.. between our 2 pics.

=Steve
Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

yummy color! .. any pics from the back side?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:01 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

it's been on my list to take a few from other angles,... but just been too busy driving it (2K miles added since last Fall). Gotta take a breather & just pull it into some nice shade & snap some. But I bet Colorado has some from the rear, and his tasty ABM is a wide-body!!

So Elfer,... good advice given above by Bxstr too. Soooo,.. are you now thinking maybe to go after a regular GT3, spend less & get to keep the 993 (definitely keep the 993),... and get something that checks most all the spec options you want? ... from your avatar I'm wondering if you have garage space for one more. That seems to be the most prevalent Rennlister problem.

... or does it still have to be an RS?? As Mooty says "RS is RS".
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

I have some but it’s in the garage. I’m taking it out Saturday morning with my 13yo son and will take some pictures.

Agree with you Steve, how this color changes depending on the light is great.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would probably go for the nicer version of the lesser car, so just getting a GT3 instead of an RS, but buying a GT3 without a story.
^ I would agree with you that this probably makes the most sense... but knowing myself, I’ll want the RS after driving the GT3 around for a year or two... or, maybe not?

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Soooo,.. are you now thinking maybe to go after a regular GT3, spend less & get to keep the 993 (definitely keep the 993),... and get something that checks most all the spec options you want? ... from your avatar I'm wondering if you have garage space for one more. That seems to be the most prevalent Rennlister problem.

... or does it still have to be an RS?? As Mooty says "RS is RS".
Again, not sure if I’ll remain content with the GT3...

As for my garage, I have space for four cars, but the idea of dropping down to one toy car and being able to focus my attention on one car is appealing. And having some extra garage space is always a plus.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:37 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1
^ I would agree with you that this probably makes the most sense... but knowing myself, I’ll want the RS after driving the GT3 around for a year or two... or, maybe not?

Again, not sure if I’ll remain content with the GT3...
Been there done that. Purchased Gt3 got home and embarrassingly enough same day kept searching for RS. Tried to convince myself I was fine but always felt I settled. Two years and 45k loss later I found RS and haven’t looked back. My loss was paper loss as RS market had also come down but nevertheless still took a hit for taxes and trade in hit. The Gt3 with regular sport seats easier as daily, lwbs not so much if getting in and out a lot. I think you want and need RS based on your comments. It’s worth the stretch, the market has slowed and patience might pay off.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:11 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Lots of good advice here so far. My 2 cents it to not buy from Mr Adair as his last RS was a terrible color...... oh wait! I’m loving this car.

Good lord that car still shines. I miss it terribly. And I love that the 4.0 stripe is still on! That’s one of my all time best graphic changes I’ve done to a car IMO. And I’m even more happy you love the car. Now go rip it!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:13 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by CT944
I am not buying, like others just commenting I agree, if OP is willing to go higher in price, lots of choices without range 5s.
Ooops, sorry 🏁
Old 06-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I'm diggin' that color too!!!

.... Steve T & others have said it well above. Figure out what car is going to MOST make you happy first, then set your budget and be prepared to bump that budget when you find the RIGHT example FOR YOU.

in my case, I preferred to have the non-RS, and thus it was much easier on the wallet to find the perfect example, exact spec I wanted, & it just so happened to have only 10k miles (bonus yes, but I would have taken a 30K mile car if it ticked all my boxes),... and I only had to bump my budget by about 10%.

... hey Bill,... funny how your Aqua Blue looks so different,.. between our 2 pics.

=Steve
That’s such a sweet *** 997 GT3 color. A. I’ve never seen another one and B. It’s like 4 colors in 1! It can even look purple at times. You done good my friend that’s a keeper car of the first order! 🏁
Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
Been there done that. Purchased Gt3 got home and embarrassingly enough same day kept searching for RS. Tried to convince myself I was fine but always felt I settled. Two years and 45k loss later I found RS and haven’t looked back. My loss was paper loss as RS market had also come down but nevertheless still took a hit for taxes and trade in hit. The Gt3 with regular sport seats easier as daily, lwbs not so much if getting in and out a lot. I think you want and need RS based on your comments. It’s worth the stretch, the market has slowed and patience might pay off.
What GT3 dropped $45k in two yrs?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Can someone school me on the advantages/disadvantages of a .1 RS vs. a .2 RS? I’ve seen several people say that the 997.1 is better looking, but what is it that everyone thinks is so much better looking? I know the .2 has more HP, but how about the driving experience? Is there that much of a difference in how the .1 drives vs. .2?

Also, why do almost none of the .1 RS’s not have LWB’s? Shouldn’t that be pretty standard for such a car?
Old 06-29-2019, 12:43 AM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I think 7.2 is better looking but that's subjective. I know I am about to start a ****storm here but I have driven both .1 and .2 and RS and non RS and to me they feel very very close.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:52 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by noro78
I have driven both .1 and .2 and RS and non RS and to me they feel very very close.
So, are you saying that the RS and GT3 feel very similar or are you saying the .1’s and .2’s feel very close... or both?... implying that the RS might not be worth the extra $?
Old 06-29-2019, 02:17 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
What GT3 dropped $45k in two yrs?
A perfect 2011 Gt3 Garage Queen with 6k miles. Paid 145k plus 12k sales tax and reg on 07/2017 - out the door 157k. Sold back to same dealer 23 months later 06/2019 with 16k miles for 110k. 47k loss includes taxes and reg. The positive side is I picked up a garage queen RS for 170k in June 2019, the Rs would have fetched 200k in 2017.

Last edited by sixtyfiver; 06-29-2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Wrong date

Quick Reply: Overrevs in range 5... need advice