Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Drove a 2007 GT3. Loved it. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

For my 22nd and final Porsche I chose this 997.1 GT3 six years ago that belonged to a long-time, fellow Porsche enthusiast friend. I sold two nice cars and a Harley Road King to make it happen. Absolutely no regrets and it has been as reliable as an anvil. And I concur with the others that it is the best looking non-RS iteration.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Awesome cars no doubt, and what I actually wanted to buy when I bought my 7.2, but the small price delta was a no brained for me to step up to the 7.2. The 996s have fallen slightly which now makes it a little more appealing but still it’s a pretty small gap
I have driven 997 and 991 gt3/rs and I actually prefer the 6gt3. Then a friend offered me his 6k mile pristine example, and the rest is history. It will probably be the last car I own/sell.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Mine is for sale:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1136204

I'm literally about to remove all
The parts and convert it back to stock, in which in stock form and a good amount of the interior add ins I'll be selling for 75k.

If you are interested in any form feel free to message me and we can see what we can work out. Only reason for sale is we are going through IVF and I need to free up more funds, otherwise I would've never sold this car. Those that know me here can attest to the obsessive attention to detail I put into this car.
That car is... otherworldly.

In all honesty, for me, that car is too much of a work of art for my purposes. I want a car to hammer down my favorite backroads on weekends. A weekend on those (rock strewn and pothole laden) roads would be a crime in that beauty!

My hat is off to you though. Amazing passion project.

And best of luck to you and your wife with the IVF process. A good friend of mine is due any day now with her second child through IVF.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackb911
For my 22nd and final Porsche I chose this 997.1 GT3 six years ago that belonged to a long-time, fellow Porsche enthusiast friend. I sold two nice cars and a Harley Road King to make it happen. Absolutely no regrets and it has been as reliable as an anvil. And I concur with the others that it is the best looking non-RS iteration.

You are moderately cruel, my good man. I saw the picture first and said, "That is the one!" But nooooooo.

Are those Leggera HLTs? Probably something much nicer, but similar in style. I run Leggera HLTs on my 981 GTS for track/autocross and on my 991.2 Carrera for winter.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:14 PM
nad617
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

PM me I may have something you are looking for. Or ndsouza617@comcast.net
Old 06-14-2019, 03:30 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
You are moderately cruel, my good man. I saw the picture first and said, "That is the one!" But nooooooo.

Are those Leggera HLTs? Probably something much nicer, but similar in style. I run Leggera HLTs on my 981 GTS for track/autocross and on my 991.2 Carrera for winter.
Those are 19" Starke Design BC's that do look a lot like OZ Legerra HLT's. I recently switched back to the forged Champion RG5B's that the car was delivered with (at Champion Porsche in Florida). I still have the BC's and they are in the original shipping boxes in case you might be interested in them after the right GT3 finds you.

Last edited by jackb911; 06-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

That car is... otherworldly.

In all honesty, for me, that car is too much of a work of art for my purposes. I want a car to hammer down my favorite backroads on weekends. A weekend on those (rock strewn and pothole laden) roads would be a crime in that beauty!

My hat is off to you though. Amazing passion project.

And best of luck to you and your wife with the IVF process. A good friend of mine is due any day now with her second child through IVF.
When the exterior is back in stock form you won't have to worry about anything. I guarantee you there won't be a cheaper gt3 on the market in as good condition and as well cared for.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
When the exterior is back in stock form you won't have to worry about anything. I guarantee you there won't be a cheaper gt3 on the market in as good condition and as well cared for.
Would you mind shooting me a private message with the details of what you expect stock form to take, price, and any other details you think relevant?

I don't know your timeline but I don't expect to move on one before the first week of July (unless I hop on the first one I inspect, which will be next Thursday). We are taking a trip to the east coast the first week of July and I have three cars lined up to inspect on the way there. Working on a fourth to inspect on the return trip.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

i've owned both a 2007 997.1 gt3 and 2010 997.2 gt3 (current car). the .2 has more torque and it's noticeable, however the .1 3.6 is a bit more fun to rev out. shift and clutch are basically the same on both.

the creature comforts in the .2 are much better if you will be driving it on the road (i road trip around california). bluetooth, aux input, usb ports, etc. of course all that's worthless on a track car. the .2's probably require more equipment/expertise to work on yourself because of high likelihood of centerlocks and PCCBs.

however at the end of the day these cars are nearly identical and it really comes down to personal preference on the looks, budgetary discipline, and most of all -- some luck and persistence/patience on whether you can find a quality car for a good price when you are buying. i would buy a high quality example of either car over a poor quality version of the other one. "buy the seller".

both cars feel absolutely amazing with proper tires, alignment, maintenance, etc. can't go wrong really.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Private track day Monday. Got to drive a few different cars (in addition to my own, of course). One stood head and shoulders above all else; a 2007 GT3. Stock other than exhaust.

I'm left somewhere between lightly and very seriously considering picking up a 997 GT3.

The big question is 997.1 or 997.2 GT3?

Currently have a manual 981 Boxster GTS (weekend, track, and autocross) and a PDK 991.2 911 Carrera (daily). Also have an NB2 Miata I autocross if I don't take the BGTS.

The GT3 would be for fun drives when my wife is not in the car. Would also be my track car (currently only 3 private events per year).

Would it be nuts to autocross a GT3?

The thought process is sell the Miata and 991.2 911, then put the stock wheels, tires, and brake pads back on the Boxster. The Boxster would then be my daily, vacation, and top down cruising with my wife car. The GT3 would be for weekend canyon carving, track, and autocross.

I really don't know how to go about deciding between a 997.1 and 997.2, but I'm guessing folks here will have a lot of opinions and feedback. I'd appreciate all of it.

If you happen to know of any good 997 GT3s for sale please feel free to post them here. I don't see a lot of posts about cars for sale in the Cars for Sale thread.

Thanks!
997.1 GT3 RS and don't look back.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:11 PM
boochook
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I ended up getting a great deal on a modified 997.1 GT3, and came from 997.1TT, 996.2 C4S (that a twin turbo’d), 958TT and several other variants.

Bottom line, the visceral feel of a streetable track car like the 997.1 won’t disappoint. I will absolutely say that Tye’s example is literally the deal of the century bar none!!! And at that price, do it!!! Don’t turn back.

Tye - good luck with the IVF! While the passion project and the outcome of that beauty is something to be proud of, there is absolutely NOTHING like fatherhood! Don’t worry, you’ll be back and us Porsche folk (and the brand) will be right here waiting for you!
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (06-18-2021)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Well said boochook! BTW for the price of a .2 GT3 you can buy Tye's car and have Sharkwerks build you a 3.9 or 4.1. We're talking a minimum of 500hp and up to 400 ft/lbs. That's the plan when I bought mine and it's still the plan. And those who are saying that my math doesn't work you'd be surprised at how close you'd be assuming you made Tye a good faith cash offer and it helps if you know Alex so you can get a build slot. JBO
Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Well said boochook! BTW for the price of a .2 GT3 you can buy Tye's car and have Sharkwerks build you a 3.9 or 4.1. We're talking a minimum of 500hp and up to 400 ft/lbs. That's the plan when I bought mine and it's still the plan. And those who are saying that my math doesn't work you'd be surprised at how close you'd be assuming you made Tye a good faith cash offer and it helps if you know Alex so you can get a build slot. JBO
+1 I have a sw3.9 997.1 gt3 and it is the best car I have ever owned period
Old 06-19-2019, 03:12 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Lucky man. BTW there is one man outside Porsche that has driven more Porsches than anyone. His name is Pete Stout. Pete says your 3.9 and it's 3.9 brethren is one of the Top 3 Porsche motors he's driven....ever to this day. Congrats on owing one! JBO
Old 06-19-2019, 03:15 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Lucky man. BTW there is one man outside Porsche that has driven more Porsches than anyone. His name is Pete Stout. Pete says your 3.9 and it's 3.9 brethren is one of the Top 3 Porsche motors he's driven....ever to this day. Congrats on owing one! JBO
Thanks Josh, i think I'm also going to add a 991 gt3 rs or 430 scuderia to the stable.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2007 GT3. Loved it. Now what?