Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Drove a 2007 GT3. Loved it. Now what? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1147667-drove-a-2007-gt3-loved-it-now-what.html)

CaymanSinAR 06-13-2019 02:30 PM

Drove a 2007 GT3. Loved it. Now what?

Private track day Monday. Got to drive a few different cars (in addition to my own, of course). One stood head and shoulders above all else; a 2007 GT3. Stock other than exhaust.

I'm left somewhere between lightly and very seriously considering picking up a 997 GT3.

The big question is 997.1 or 997.2 GT3?

Currently have a manual 981 Boxster GTS (weekend, track, and autocross) and a PDK 991.2 911 Carrera (daily). Also have an NB2 Miata I autocross if I don't take the BGTS.

The GT3 would be for fun drives when my wife is not in the car. Would also be my track car (currently only 3 private events per year).

Would it be nuts to autocross a GT3?

The thought process is sell the Miata and 991.2 911, then put the stock wheels, tires, and brake pads back on the Boxster. The Boxster would then be my daily, vacation, and top down cruising with my wife car. The GT3 would be for weekend canyon carving, track, and autocross.

I really don't know how to go about deciding between a 997.1 and 997.2, but I'm guessing folks here will have a lot of opinions and feedback. I'd appreciate all of it.

If you happen to know of any good 997 GT3s for sale please feel free to post them here. I don't see a lot of posts about cars for sale in the Cars for Sale thread.

Thanks!

Asquared 06-13-2019 02:45 PM

You can't really go wrong either way.

FTR, I have an 07RS that is mostly a track car.

MarkG123 06-13-2019 03:47 PM

I have owned both 997.1 and 997.2 GT3. Both are very good cars. The PSM system is better on the .2. Also the .2 pulls a little harder. I would not switch cars if it cost you a bunch of $$. They both provide the same great experience.

noro 06-13-2019 04:43 PM

I auto-x a 7.2 GT3.... it is loads of fun, takes some time to understand how to pivot a rear heavy car, but once you do it is magical. Add left foot braking into the mix and you get what my friends call it a "shark on the attack".

Auto_Werks 3.6 06-13-2019 04:44 PM

I never drove the .1 before I bought my .2, but my thought process was that I would be interested in the 3.8 engine for autocross. That little bit of extra torque down low is probably pretty important in my estimation. My 2010 has been a riot on the street and at autocross events. It is definitely a car that will take a minute to get used to for autocross. A couple of my friends had to talk me off the ledge when I was frustrated at the first couple events. Once you get a handle on it, there is no other car like it.... and it is distinctly 911 in handling, so keep that in mind coming from a Miata. If your local autocrosses are mostly first gear courses, that may be a different struggle. I probably would not take my GT3 to a first gear event, the car is definitely a bull in a china shop on too tight of a course.
I did a bunch of research before buying, including looking at comparison posts from 2010 when the .2 was new. It seems like the answer is: if you already own a .1 then there isn't a good reason to go through the hassle of selling and paying the money to upgrade. The flip side is: if you're shopping now, there's no reason not to hold out for a .2 and get the better suspension and engine.
If you end up getting a GT3, I would recommend getting BFG Rival S 1.5 tires for it instead of the ever popular RE71r. For my taste the RE71 is too peaky, and the car has to be setup too tight to enjoy for autocross. It's too close to diabolical if its a little loose on the RE71. The BFG seems to have a wider groove and be more forgiving at the limit. Your mileage may vary.

CaymanSinAR 06-13-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6 (Post 15905549)
I never drove the .1 before I bought my .2, but my thought process was that I would be interested in the 3.8 engine for autocross. That little bit of extra torque down low is probably pretty important in my estimation. My 2010 has been a riot on the street and at autocross events. It is definitely a car that will take a minute to get used to for autocross. A couple of my friends had to talk me off the ledge when I was frustrated at the first couple events. Once you get a handle on it, there is no other car like it.... and it is distinctly 911 in handling, so keep that in mind coming from a Miata. If your local autocrosses are mostly first gear courses, that may be a different struggle. I probably would not take my GT3 to a first gear event, the car is definitely a bull in a china shop on too tight of a course.
I did a bunch of research before buying, including looking at comparison posts from 2010 when the .2 was new. It seems like the answer is: if you already own a .1 then there isn't a good reason to go through the hassle of selling and paying the money to upgrade. The flip side is: if you're shopping now, there's no reason not to hold out for a .2 and get the better suspension and engine.
If you end up getting a GT3, I would recommend getting BFG Rival S 1.5 tires for it instead of the ever popular RE71r. For my taste the RE71 is too peaky, and the car has to be setup too tight to enjoy for autocross. It's too close to diabolical if its a little loose on the RE71. The BFG seems to have a wider groove and be more forgiving at the limit. Your mileage may vary.

Great information!

The lot we have for autocross is the size of a postage stamp. Our courses are very short and technical. Second gear courses. Tend to loop on themselves or cut through the middle to give us more room. Times for a good driver will vary from 28-36 seconds depending on the layout.

I run the Rival S 1.5 on my Miata. Ultimate grip but not as much feedback so when it lets go it lets go.

On the Boxster GTS I run the RE-71s. Not as much ultimate grip but very progressive and communicative. Plus nice in the rain; of which we see a lot in our region, unfortunately.

I'm not seeing the Rivals available in OEM sizing. If I end up getting one I'll do some research on sizing.

Auto_Werks 3.6 06-13-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR (Post 15905591)

I'm not seeing the Rivals available in OEM sizing. If I end up getting one I'll do some research on sizing.

The good rival sizes are 18" diameter. I have also run the car with RE71 fronts in stock sizes with a rival 305 19 in the back. The mixed set actually worked fantastically. It had the sharp steering feedback from the bridgestone and the rear grip from the BFG. I ran the split set at a Toledo Ohio local and paxed 21/185, first of 8ish super street cars.

bmwtye 06-13-2019 07:55 PM

Mine is for sale:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1136204

I'm literally about to remove all
The parts and convert it back to stock, in which in stock form and a good amount of the interior add ins I'll be selling for 75k.

If you are interested in any form feel free to message me and we can see what we can work out. Only reason for sale is we are going through IVF and I need to free up more funds, otherwise I would've never sold this car. Those that know me here can attest to the obsessive attention to detail I put into this car.

gt2-josh 06-13-2019 08:50 PM

To the original poster. If autocross is a concern you can't beat Tye's car. Honestly, Tye is one of the most knowledgeable listers I've encountered in 20 years on RL and his car is set up perfectly for these types of events. It's a steal at this price. A steal! And it's only available because of a personal situation. I tried to convince my wife to sell her car so I could buy Tye's even though I already have a decent GT3. You could spend $30K more on a .2 but you won't go faster the way his car is set up. I honestly see a slam dunk buy pop up a couple times a year and this is that time. Call him. I have no affiliation here just drool when I read about his attention to detail and his car. Best Josh

SteveFrench 06-13-2019 10:13 PM

Get a 997.1, more than quick enough, cheaper, no CL bull**** to deal with. It also looks better, in my opinion.

gt2-josh 06-13-2019 10:24 PM

Excellent points as well. Five lug good for autocrossing or tracking. An obsessively well set up example with maniacal obsession to detail. A price that is as good as it gets for a quality example. Also the Porsche voices that have real impact are saying that the .1s are better looking. I understand looks are subjective and you should get what looks better to you and screw what these folks say but there is a building consensus that styling peaked with the .1s. And a Green .1 RS is about as good as it gets. Having owned a GT3 and GT3 RS both .1s I'm obviously a huge fan. JBO

hf1 06-13-2019 10:37 PM

Try a 996 GT3 too...

jcdeng 06-13-2019 10:57 PM

I agree, Tye's car is a great deal, too bad silver is my least favorite color, otherwise would've been mine already.

misterwaterfall 06-13-2019 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 15906283)
Try a 996 GT3 too...

Awesome cars no doubt, and what I actually wanted to buy when I bought my 7.2, but the small price delta was a no brained for me to step up to the 7.2. The 996s have fallen slightly which now makes it a little more appealing but still it’s a pretty small gap

limitedslip 06-14-2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR (Post 15905211)

The big question is 997.1 or 997.2 GT3?

I've had both. Currently have a .2. Had a .1 a few years ago. As far as I can tell the driving experience is pretty much identical. Can't go wrong.