Is the stock rear suspension difficult to align accurately

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Is the stock rear suspension difficult to align accurately

As the title says: I’m using my GT3 for road and also stock class autocross where I’m restricted to stock suspension components. I’ve been having a reasonably difficult time getting the rear axle to take an alignment. If i do the alignment and then drive the car around the block it seems like the rear camber will drift around by 0.2 degrees and the rear toe seems to drift about 0.05” which is just enough to be frustrating. I’m just curious if my toe links and other suspension parts are likely timed out, or if that’s just kind of the way all the compliance stacks up on these things. My car has about 23k miles on it, for whatever that’s worth, since we can never really know how hard the miles were.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:53 AM
noro
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar problem so this might help. Put the back side on jack stands then using a jack raise from the bottom side of the assembly that houses the wheel bearing, basically straight under the where the shock absorber meets it from the top side. You want to simulate full load basically. Then loosen and re-torque all 4 top wishbone bolts. One of them is always tough to get to (front side against the chassis). These bolts tend to loosen and the whichbone metal center bushing has tad big of play against the bolts which can lead to these differences.

All this assumes that your control arms are in good shape and don't play around and modify the rear geometry.

Also, note the following when you are aligning the back you are flexing the rubber bushings in process so when you then ride around the bushings settle into a more natural position and now your camber is off. To do it properly IMO opinion, is to align, then rock the car back and forth a few times on the rack and then realign again, do this 2-3 times to get the car aligned in a more natural state for the rear bushings.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

If you have all rubber bushings still they might move a bit. But, check the eccentric bolt for the toe is NOT moving. That one is known to be an issue. Most will put solid links and a locking plate on that bolt.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:08 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for the advice... I'll check the upper wishbones next time I have the car in the air. The toe eccentric doesn't seem to be moving. I have the scale marked with sharpie, so I should be able to observe if they move.

Quick Reply: Is the stock rear suspension difficult to align accurately