Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

sell me on a 997.2 GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Sorry about the OT - but damn that Riviera Blue 993 is good looking.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:41 AM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
ditto

I've been daily driving 997 GT3s for ~ 7years now. no problem w/clutch, noise, anything. couldn't fathom the thought of ever going back to a C2S

I feel you on that dude, I just sold my e92 daily so now I use my 997 GT3. Best decision I’ve ever made.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:21 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Sorry about the OT - but damn that Riviera Blue 993 is good looking.
Thank you, she is a beauty.....just clicked over to 18k original miles.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 290 Posts

18k miles, that's 8k miles in the red, please sell to me at a reduced rate... or is that only for 997GT's?

Originally Posted by luv2race
Thank you, she is a beauty.....just clicked over to 18k original miles.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
Well, it is HER car. She gets to drive it to work. I have to drive a work van.

This thread was really helpful. It helped us weigh the pros and cons. After considering everything, the one thing she really likes is how comfortable the 991 GT3 is. She wants to be able to drive it the 300 miles each way to see her parents on the weekends as well as drive it in DE events and enjoy it on backroads. The 997 isn't going to offer that kind of versatility, based on what I read here. She loves the current car, and although she would be slightly happier to have a manual, she would be slightly less happy to have a more raw car at times when she just doesn't want a raw car.

Someone said that driving the 997 is event each time you get into it, but as she said, sometimes she is getting into the car in a dress and heels and driving 30 miles to see a client. She doesn't need an "event" at that point; she just needs something comfortable that is still fun. The "event" part comes on track days and when carving up backroads in the Smokies.

So yeah, 991 it is! I am a little sad, but hey, life could be worse (like driving a work van each day!)
The best advice was in post #2. But in two days you decided to keep the 991?

I had a GT4 for three years and have driven the 991.1 GT3 a few times. Currently have a 997.1 GT3. All great choices. But do go drive them and then decide.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
I bought a 997.2 GT3 because it's the last car with hydraulic steering, manual transmission, NA motor, and rear-wheel drive.
THIS x eleventy billion. Not only are they not building any more, I see it as the true pinnacle of what they ever produced. True sweet spot car, and the best dance partner you could ever ask for. Fun and involving at any speed!
Old 06-01-2019, 02:00 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Fun thread to read and reconfirmed my recent 997.2 RS pick up.

For the OPs situation where the wife is driving, what, some 300 miles round trip I would not recommend a 997 GT car. I don't think I would even recommend a 991 GT car. BUT I'm placing MY wife in YOUR wife's situation and I just couldn't see her being able to drive it.

My personal experience with my RS is that I can't stand putting highway miles on it.

Part of it is not wanting the mileage to go up rapidly (don't shoot me) but more importantly it's just not as fun. Cruising at highway speeds in a straight line with every Joe Schmoe wanting to race? No thanks. If I'm on the highway it's to get to some twisties. To make it fun I need to hit speeds that I shouldn't and don't and I don't like being tempted.

My GTS PDK Cab? no problem. I love cruising in it with the top down with the wife. The more miles the better.

That said it's pretty freaking awesome that you have a wife that wants to rock a GT car to visit the parents and a client here and there with DE's. Lol you are a lucky man! Enjoy that 991 GT3!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
THIS x eleventy billion. Not only are they not building any more, I see it as the true pinnacle of what they ever produced. True sweet spot car, and the best dance partner you could ever ask for. Fun and involving at any speed!
I have to chuckle at this a bit Steve T. I TOTALLY agree with you,... but laugh because just about every sub forum on Rennlist all says the same thing about THEIR variation of the Porsche lineup. I certainly see it in my 964 Turbo subforum. Last of the hand built cars, last of the power assisted rack & pinion steering, NO nannies to save your a$$, serious power on tap WITH a nice dose of turbo lag & torque to set you back in your seat, and of course who can deny the wide body in both the rear AND the front,....

anyway I could go on,.... The bottom line is that I love MANY generations of our 911's,... and wish I could afford the TIME to drive, and own SO MANY more.

But I will admit, the 997 GT3 is a VERY special breed, and there is NO denying that fact. I am now very glad I own both.

I also second NA430GTS's notion that the OP's wife rocks. For me, it is indeed a blessing to have a wife that enjoys banging gears as much as I do.

=Steve
Old 06-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I have to chuckle at this a bit Steve T. I TOTALLY agree with you,... but laugh because just about every sub forum on Rennlist all says the same thing about THEIR variation of the Porsche lineup. I certainly see it in my 964 Turbo subforum. Last of the hand built cars, last of the power assisted rack & pinion steering, NO nannies to save your a$$, serious power on tap WITH a nice dose of turbo lag & torque to set you back in your seat, and of course who can deny the wide body in both the rear AND the front,....

anyway I could go on,.... The bottom line is that I love MANY generations of our 911's,... and wish I could afford the TIME to drive, and own SO MANY more.

But I will admit, the 997 GT3 is a VERY special breed, and there is NO denying that fact. I am now very glad I own both.

I also second NA430GTS's notion that the OP's wife rocks. For me, it is indeed a blessing to have a wife that enjoys banging gears as much as I do.

=Steve
You are correct that people can change it to any metric that THEY wish.

- Last of the air cooled cars
- Last of the XYZ length wheelbase cars
- Last of the G50 equipped cars
- Last of the Mezger powered cars
- Last of the hydraulic steering equipped cars
- Last of the RS models with manual transmission

And the lists go on...
Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

From my side... I'm a medium heavy track guy and a I commute when possible and do 4-hour work drives when possible (maybe 6 times a year). I have a 997.2 manual with sport buckets,, GMG exhaust, lowered to track spec, etc.

It is raw- in the new york area the roads are pretty rough. My wife has probably ridden in the car 4 times in 2 years, let alone driven it. When I had a 997 carrera we used to take it out on date nights etc. Now I take my BMW 3. II laugh at the thought of pulling up to a valet in this gt3. I doubt they could park it and i wouldn't want them to touch it.

The 4 hour drives never bother me at all. the seats are fine for me. I love it when the roads are open. It's a bit annoying to drive in stop and go traffic. It's loud- I can't take a phone call unless it's an emergency. Any concerns I have are more over the rough roads, going to parking lots full of mouth breathers, people with their faces stuck in their phones, etc. I love the car enough that small damage would really annoy me. I don't feel this way about the other cars i have.

The commute to work is totally fine (we have a garage) but often i''m not driving the gt3 because i have to carry something, or i'm wearing a suit and dress shoes, or i have to pick up someone, or park on the street etc.

Driving the car at speed is intoxicating. I sounds great, it feels great. I'm in love. I love the simplicity, the look, the purity of the interactions.

I've driven a fair amount of cars on track and this is my absolute favorite. I run in the advanced run groups and it makes a good pace. It has enough race car DNA to make it really cool. It has the good rawness of a race car but none of the bad rawness. It holds up against most anything stock porsche untlil the 991 GT cars which probably includes the 991 GTS (which are becoming more common). It's fast, but if you want the fastest, this car is not it. Especially since I'm driving a manual and many people are driving PDK which will take a few seconds off any lap, this crosses my mind. Personally I'm happy driving any nice car at the track (even if it's 914).

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:51 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
From my side... I'm a medium heavy track guy and a I commute when possible and do 4-hour work drives when possible (maybe 6 times a year). I have a 997.2 manual with sport buckets,, GMG exhaust, lowered to track spec, etc.

It is raw- in the new york area the roads are pretty rough. My wife has probably ridden in the car 4 times in 2 years, let alone driven it. When I had a 997 carrera we used to take it out on date nights etc. Now I take my BMW 3. II laugh at the thought of pulling up to a valet in this gt3. I doubt they could park it and i wouldn't want them to touch it.

The 4 hour drives never bother me at all. the seats are fine for me. I love it when the roads are open. It's a bit annoying to drive in stop and go traffic. It's loud- I can't take a phone call unless it's an emergency. Any concerns I have are more over the rough roads, going to parking lots full of mouth breathers, people with their faces stuck in their phones, etc. I love the car enough that small damage would really annoy me. I don't feel this way about the other cars i have.

The commute to work is totally fine (we have a garage) but often i''m not driving the gt3 because i have to carry something, or i'm wearing a suit and dress shoes, or i have to pick up someone, or park on the street etc.

Driving the car at speed is intoxicating. I sounds great, it feels great. I'm in love. I love the simplicity, the look, the purity of the interactions.

I've driven a fair amount of cars on track and this is my absolute favorite. I run in the advanced run groups and it makes a good pace. It has enough race car DNA to make it really cool. It has the good rawness of a race car but none of the bad rawness. It holds up against most anything stock porsche untlil the 991 GT cars which probably includes the 991 GTS (which are becoming more common). It's fast, but if you want the fastest, this car is not it. Especially since I'm driving a manual and many people are driving PDK which will take a few seconds off any lap, this crosses my mind. Personally I'm happy driving any nice car at the track (even if it's 914).

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
18k miles, that's 8k miles in the red, please sell to me at a reduced rate... or is that only for 997GT's?
Ha right, probably time to put that baby out to pasture. It’s better days are long gone.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 PM
pdds
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I previously had a 991.1 TT, as fast as it was, I also missed the 3rd pedal. PDK is great but I need to row my own gears, the Turbo became boring for me within the first few months unfortunately. Got into a 7.2 GT3, and that thing brings a smile to my face every single minute of driving it, and it sounds amazing (SW bypass)! Sure, it's slower and older, but I don't miss my Turbo in the least bit.

Quick Reply: sell me on a 997.2 GT3!