Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

sell me on a 997.2 GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default sell me on a 997.2 GT3!

I currently have a 991 GT3. I love it; we sold a GT4 to get it. The one downside? Lack of a 3rd pedal. The GT3 is amazing, don't get me wrong, and is so comfortable as tourer as well as a performance car. We have only done spirited backroad driving so far, but wow, the car impresses.

Even though I love it, I really miss the manual experience. The "right" 997.2 GT3 seems like it would check that last box, but I can't exactly drive one locally (or anywhere). I doubt a dealer will let me borrow one for 2 hours to push it through it's paces on the mountainous decommissioned 1.5-lane logging road that is my testing ground, and that is even if I could find one for sale locally, which I can't.

So, those of you who have owned a 991 GT3, 981 GT4, and 997.2 GT3, please chime in here!

1) advantages I see to the 997; manual, possibly will hold value better, classic lines
2) advantages I see to the 991: engine warranty, more power, much faster car, arguably sexier looking, lower mileage car for the same price

If the engine develops trouble on the 991, I am covered, but how reliable is the 997 engine platform? This is a car that we will drive a lot: road trips as well as some DE days. I expect to put 7,000 miles a year on this car.

Similar cost of ownership?

I know the Mezger engine has a cult following, but I have heard more than one tech state that they are not more or less reliable than other engines, just legendary as they have been used for so long.

I don't want to get a car that will cause me lots of costly headaches down the road. All of my porsches have been quite reliable, needing nothing more than standard maintenance.

I can sell the 991 for what I paid for it, so I am not really "out" any money if I find a good private party 997 at a reasonable price.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

Forget about internet forum banter and spreadsheet-type comparisons. Go drive the 997. You'll either love it and buy one or you won't.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:17 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

^^^ THIS ^^^

will tell you everything (and as a former GT4 owner, that I only drove 40 miles as it was to tame/hi-tech for me, thank god I also had a 997GT3 as a comparo)
Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Hey Kg11,

I only drove the GT4 (lengthy) to compare when we were thinking of either a 991 GT3 Touring, or the 997.2 GT3 that my wife & I actually bought. Our decision was a bit different though, since the 3rd pedal was THE highest on our priority list (at the time, for us, we were thinking that the 25K less price tag on the GT4 could not be dismissed). You mention manual as a desire,.. but the fact is, you actually bought a PDK (& now miss the manual). We do not regret spending more $$ to get the 7.2 / 3 (but also decided not to spend $50k more for the Touring). And your situation is better given you could probably swap out for a 997.2 GT3 without much $$ pain.

And just so that I am fair to myself, as I chime in here,.... especially since I do like the "looks" of the 991 (although not the "size" once behind the wheel),.... when you talk about pros / cons,... I could not help but wonder whether you have a .1 or .2 991. If you think you really like the 991, why not go for a Touring? That Touring 4.0 motor, manual, seats, ... might give you what you're looking for.

Good luck!!
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 01-27-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: removed reference to PDK
Old 05-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm pretty new to my 997.2 GT3 and I can tell you it's pretty raw to drive. The 991 is more comfortable and civilized.
That's exactly why I bought a 997.2. I want raw, deliberate and visceral. The clutch is heavy, the shifts take deliberate effort.
It's loud, I have the Sharkwerks center bypass, and I love every mile in it.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey Kg11,

I only drove the GT4 (lengthy) to compare when we were thinking of either a PDK 991 GT3 Touring, or the 997.2 GT3 that my wife & I actually bought. Our decision was a bit different though, since the 3rd pedal was THE highest on our priority list (at the time, for us, we were thinking that the 25K less price tag on the GT4 could not be dismissed). You mention manual as a desire,.. but the fact is, you actually bought a PDK (& now miss the manual). We do not regret spending more $$ to get the 7.2 / 3 (but also decided not to spend $50k more for the Touring). And your situation is better given you could probably swap out for a 997.2 GT3 without much $$ pain.

And just so that I am fair to myself, as I chime in here,.... especially since I do like the "looks" of the 991 (although not the "size" once behind the wheel),.... when you talk about pros / cons,... I could not help but wonder whether you have a .1 or .2 991. If you think you really like the 991, why not go for a Touring? That Touring 4.0 motor, manual, seats, ... might give you what you're looking for.

Good luck!!
=Steve
Hi Steve,

It is a 991.1: it is a super clean, nicely equipped, low mile car, and I could sell it for what I paid for it. I can't afford a Touring, but I certainly would love to have one!

I love the GT3; my wife does not want to go back to the GT4, manual or not. But, yeah, she missed it a tad bit, but wants to do more tracking and loves how precise and incredible the GT3 is. I wonder how much of that we will give up in the 997 platform. Having had a GT4, I know that many people say that it is just as fast as the 997.2 GT3 with a tune and headers, so my worry is that the 997.2 might feel too dated in comparison if a lower power GT4 runs just as fast. She also daily drives the car (doesn't mind a manual in a DD, in case you were wondering), but most of her commute is flying 95mph down the freeway.

The nice thing about the 997.2 is that I have a feeling it is a bit more involving at slower speeds. the GT4 certainly was. The 991 GT3 feels like a big pussycat until you anger her
Old 05-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I'm pretty new to my 997.2 GT3 and I can tell you it's pretty raw to drive. The 991 is more comfortable and civilized.
That's exactly why I bought a 997.2. I want raw, deliberate and visceral. The clutch is heavy, the shifts take deliberate effort.
It's loud, I have the Sharkwerks center bypass, and I love every mile in it.
Yeah, ours has the SW bypass as well. The car is rowdy sounding. We both love it.

I have always viewed the 997.2 as the GT3 driver's pinnacle for somewhat affordable performance (can't afford a 991.2) but still, a 10-year old car with 35,000 miles may not be cheap to own long-run

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
^^^ THIS ^^^

will tell you everything (and as a former GT4 owner, that I only drove 40 miles as it was to tame/hi-tech for me, thank god I also had a 997GT3 as a comparo)
The GT3 we have has more presence, more power, and is less tame than the GT4. It is pretty easy to kick out in wet conditions just driving around town. I know the 997.2 GT3 is even less tame!
Old 05-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

You'll need to get your wife in it to see. My wife can't really press the clutch in.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:53 PM
noro
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
Yeah, ours has the SW bypass as well. The car is rowdy sounding. We both love it.

I have always viewed the 997.2 as the GT3 driver's pinnacle for somewhat affordable performance (can't afford a 991.2) but still, a 10-year old car with 35,000 miles may not be cheap to own long-run
Do you have heavy tracking in mind? If not, I would argue that the GT3 is no more expensive to own than let's say an M3. The only item so far that is considerable more expensive is the brake rotor. Everything else costs roughly the same. If you are a DIYer then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:18 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a 997.2 GT3 because it's the last car with hydraulic steering, manual transmission, NA motor, and rear-wheel drive.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:40 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Hi Steve, .... I can't afford a Touring, but I certainly would love to have one!
Right on. We could not,... & did not want to afford one either. So that's out.
..... also seems like you & I are in very similar territory given our wives drive stick well. My wife played a big role in our decision too. But mine was not interested in DE or any tracking on the big tracks. Autocross yes, but even more so she likes PCA Mtn Drive Tours (long weekends of driving, with stays at Spa Resorts, and high quality Dining experiences).

... so my worry is that the 997.2 might feel too dated in comparison if a lower power GT4 runs just as fast.
THAT part I can say with emphasis,... in all categories of power & delivery to pavement, the 997.2 GT3 felt FAR & AWAY more powerful, playful due to increased horsepower, and quicker reving to redline (verses the GT4). The GT4 Carerra S motor just did NOT do it in that department. There is a huge difference between that production motor, and the GT3 Motorsports engine. I suspect that is a lot of the reason why you prefer your new 991.1 GT3, over the GT4. So my opinion there is to dismiss that worry about the 997.2 GT3 powerplant as feeling "dated" or less capable. Plus there is somewhere near 70 HP difference between the two.
..... But of course I will also caveat, & add, that we went for a 7.2 / 3 that has full upgraded leather, deviated stitching, NAV, 14-way seats, PCCB's, etc etc,... so to us, especially compared to our 1991 964 Turbo, this 997 GT3 feels like a MUCH newer car to us. That helps a lot when touring in it. We never "feel" like it is a "dated" car even from the inside.

... She also daily drives the car (doesn't mind a manual in a DD, in case you were wondering), but most of her commute is flying 95mph down the freeway.
Now we might be getting to the root of it here. Your wife needs to assess her priorities of wanting to track (& thinking PDK will help her lap times there),.. plus her ease of commuting in a PDK,... -VERSES- the joy of pleasure driving a manual (even though it might possibly slow her lap times on a track).

... The nice thing about the 997.2 is that I have a feeling it is a bit more involving at slower speeds. the GT4 certainly was. The 991 GT3 feels like a big pussycat until you anger her
Absolutely. Even at slow speeds the 997.2 GT3 is sooooo involving. Even if you're just cruising along, it still feels like it's ready to BARK like a angry dog the moment you execute on ANY change (throttle, gear change, steering change,... etc etc).

Almost everyone I hear from on the 991 GT3 (even buddies that own them), as well as those who have written about them,... all say that the car can feel so docile & non-race-ready, when floating down the street at low rpm's and not in sport/sport-plus modes. But hey,... if you LIKE having a car that feels like a luxury sedan when not getting on it WOT,... then maybe that is indeed the car to own.

Finally, regarding maintenance & reliability - I think you are actually even better off in the 997 GT3's, verses the higher production #'s of the 991's. I personally think there are more problems with the newer cars just based on my limited visibility (& a close relationship with my local Porsche dealer service dept).

This is all just my own .02. But thanks for letting us chime in.
=Steve
Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM
noro
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

It takes lots of self control to not always drive the gt aggressively. My heart rate is always elevated in that car no matter what I am doing.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:56 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

yes indeed. I was just about to add that same comment to my writeup above too. Well said noro.

Literally 100% of the time driving the 997 GT3, my heart rate is high, and I usually have goose bumps.

It's such an amazing feeling, that when I'm done driving for the day,... I'm usually exhausted from being on such a "high" all day long. .... and I'm a guy that thrives on adrenaline (Kitesurfing, ice hockey & cars are my addiction).

=Steve
Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

I drove a 997.1 GT3. I was sold. That was all it took. I had a 997.2 C2S and will be looking for a GT3 soon.

Quick Reply: sell me on a 997.2 GT3!