Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opinion on future pricing trend trends on 997 GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 164 Posts

997.1 - Market range is 80-100K
997.2 - Market range is 95-115k

They will depreciate like any other car but if you get one in those ranges, you should be pretty good in terms of residual value.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM
3_PDLS
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 111 Posts

I think when people make threads like these they aren't trying to put their money into a car instead of retirement... they are trying to minimize their cost of ownership. Let's be honest; very few people hold onto a car for 10 years, especially an enthusiast car. So instead of purchasing say a new M3 at $80k and it being worth $50k in two years PLUS the cost of consumables, you'd instead buy an e90 for $34k and yes you may end up putting say, $5k into maintenance plus consumables and it may depreciate some down to $30k. However the cost of ownership is $11k vs $37k taking into account sales tax and maintenance (consumables are a wash).

AND if you get lucky, maybe the e92 is worth $36k in a couple years and nothing major breaks. You've now drove it for a couple years with just the cost of gas and consumables. Now your very far ahead of that new M3.

Just using the above as an example as I went through it for my new daily with those numbers.

No one really expects to hit the lottery like the few people that bought a 930 in 2012 and sold it in 2015. Or a 964 a few years ago and sold it on BAT this year.

-Josh
Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jmann2380
I think when people make threads like these they aren't trying to put their money into a car instead of retirement... they are trying to minimize their cost of ownership. Let's be honest; very few people hold onto a car for 10 years, especially an enthusiast car. So instead of purchasing say a new M3 at $80k and it being worth $50k in two years PLUS the cost of consumables, you'd instead buy an e90 for $34k and yes you may end up putting say, $5k into maintenance plus consumables and it may depreciate some down to $30k. However the cost of ownership is $11k vs $37k taking into account sales tax and maintenance (consumables are a wash).

AND if you get lucky, maybe the e92 is worth $36k in a couple years and nothing major breaks. You've now drove it for a couple years with just the cost of gas and consumables. Now your very far ahead of that new M3.

Just using the above as an example as I went through it for my new daily with those numbers.

No one really expects to hit the lottery like the few people that bought a 930 in 2012 and sold it in 2015. Or a 964 a few years ago and sold it on BAT this year.

-Josh
That's how I ended up with one. I drove my last two CPO Carrera's about 3500 mi/yr and was looking for another in the $65-85k range. Leasing a new one didn't make sense for me at the time. Impulsively bought my CPO GT3 when it popped into my dealer one morning. If I sold it even as much as $20k less, 30 months later, it would be much less than a lease on a new 911. The tough part is the almost $10k in sales tax I don't get back in CA even on a trade-in which ends up being another incentive to keep my baby longer.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, the 997 Gt3 will be very expensive in 20 years. Short term, no one knows where bottom is, long term no brainer unless car culture diminishes to the point of cars being horse carriages “worthless”. In the meantime, the Gt3 is probably the top .001% of all time great cars to drive so you really can’t go wrong with it.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
IMHO, the 997 Gt3 will be very expensive in 20 years. Short term, no one knows where bottom is, long term no brainer unless car culture diminishes to the point of cars being horse carriages “worthless”. In the meantime, the Gt3 is probably the top .001% of all time great cars to drive so you really can’t go wrong with it.
I think this is right. I have focused on 997RS product for four years. Yea, the market is flat now but I have yet to see a 997RS regardless of condition sell for less than it's sticker. Not bad for an 8 or 9 year old car. And they can easily rise 25K above sticker if they are the right car. That is a pretty strong number in a flat market. Now is a great time to get into 997RS product. Regular GT3 product is not quite that strong yet I don't think. But I think 997's are the right car to be looking at if you are not a fan of the new product. And like sixty fiver said, put the value aside, it's one of the all time great drivers Porsches built. That's been said over and over by many many people..
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

only problem is,... in 20 years the governments will all be so into the electric scene, fossil fuels will be scarce, expensive & limited. So yea the 997 RS' will still command a premium as a "collector", but I expect the regular GT3's that are being driven to suffer depreciation (like mine).

My only hope is that eventually they will see that electric is just as difficult and expensive (to the environment) to produce, that it delays the fossil fuel decline.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:13 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I consider the RS America a great benchmark for limited, special 911s. Judge it compared to its original MSRP and not absolute terms. At some point they were touching 120K mark which is double its MSRP. Now you can find good ones in the 90 to 110 range. I would imagine GT3s will eventially touch 250K mark but that's decades away and with inflation in the picture you are not really profiting but rather preserving value while having a good time. I've had a set of interesting cars in the past but there is one I actually made money on and that was the E30 M3. Purchsed in 2005 for 15K and later sold just below 50K only 12 years later. I obviously spent money on it but even with all expenses I still came on top of that one. How did that happen? I simply had to have an E30 M3 and jumped on it before the masses recognized the greatness of this car. It's not a coincedence that I have a GT3 now.. spiritually speaking they are very similar cars.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

-Josh
Count me in that group.

The right 911, bought reasonably from a private party (no dealer markup) and sold the same way, is the sportscar equivalent of buying a Toyota Tacoma. Minimal depreciation and investment each year.

I wouldn't pay $10k a year to drive a 911, but $3k a year? Sure. It is VERY doable on certain models (997.2 manual, 997 GT3, probably GT4, desirable Carrera 991 models). Cars I saw 3 years ago, with a certain mileage and spec, are still selling for the same price today. Even if it was driven quite a bit, the depreciation is minimal.

Porsche values holding strong is what lets a lot of otherwise middle-class people afford these cars. I can drive a more basic daily (in my case, an older 4-runner) and take that few thousand in depreciation to own a 911!

Most cars on the road lose more than $3k a year. My buddy drove his Jeep Grand Cherokee for 3 years and it lost $24k. For that, I can drive a 911 for 8 years. Which would you rather own?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
That's how I ended up with one. I drove my last two CPO Carrera's about 3500 mi/yr and was looking for another in the $65-85k range. Leasing a new one didn't make sense for me at the time. Impulsively bought my CPO GT3 when it popped into my dealer one morning. If I sold it even as much as $20k less, 30 months later, it would be much less than a lease on a new 911. The tough part is the almost $10k in sales tax I don't get back in CA even on a trade-in which ends up being another incentive to keep my baby longer.
Someone said you can drive across the border and register it in AZ, assuming you bought it private party. You may want to look into it. It may only apply to cars from AZ, but I think I read that any car can be registered there. CA tax is brutal!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:56 PM
silviaks
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78
I consider the RS America a great benchmark for limited, special 911s. Judge it compared to its original MSRP and not absolute terms. At some point they were touching 120K mark which is double its MSRP. Now you can find good ones in the 90 to 110 range. I would imagine GT3s will eventially touch 250K mark but that's decades away and with inflation in the picture you are not really profiting but rather preserving value while having a good time. I've had a set of interesting cars in the past but there is one I actually made money on and that was the E30 M3. Purchsed in 2005 for 15K and later sold just below 50K only 12 years later. I obviously spent money on it but even with all expenses I still came on top of that one. How did that happen? I simply had to have an E30 M3 and jumped on it before the masses recognized the greatness of this car. It's not a coincedence that I have a GT3 now.. spiritually speaking they are very similar cars.
I still remember I once saw a 964 RS America for $35k back may be 10 years ago, it was on CL for a long time too! The car wasn't a fans favorite from the beginning because it doesnt have a RS engine.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:20 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Buy one and just drive it, there are too many unknowns and life’s short. I love my .2RS which has belonged to some folks here including Mike and was really well taken care of.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Buy one and just drive it, there are too many unknowns and life’s short. I love my .2RS which has belonged to some folks here including Mike and was really well taken care of.
yes indeed,... and we need some pictures from you over in the pic-thread soon too!! Weathers getting nice!

I promise I will do the same soon too.
=Steve
Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Today, a GT2RS was on the track!!! It's a special thing to see someone driving a valuable car like there is no tomorrow. Can we all just drive these things without thinking value lost or added. It's a Porsche. Buy one, drive it, modify it, make it yours to keep. Boring to see a polished stock factory Porsche in the parking lot; show me the one with stories! I saw a 2011 GT3RS last time at COTA with half its interior removed and a full cage - most interesting car there. Drawn to it like a magnet.

Last edited by Runner; 05-17-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 555 Posts

-Josh
If you want to minimize total cost of ownership you would just buy something like a used Miata.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 PM
3_PDLS
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
If you want to minimize total cost of ownership you would just buy something like a used Miata.
I have no interest in a Miata... This is Porsche forum after all.

Last edited by 3_PDLS; 05-28-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinion on future pricing trend trends on 997 GT3's?