Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

higher mile GT3RS...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

It's actually quite heart warming to see so many drivers in this thread...good stuff! I guarantee you we are having the most fun too!
Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 114 Posts

I bought my 997.1 non-rs gt3 a year and a half ago with 38k miles. Now at 48k with 3 track days and a fourth coming up in a few weeks at road atlanta with the smokies gt group.
Car has been dead reliable. Only work i’ve done is routine maintenance, pinned coolant lines and water pump. It drives like a dream and would not think twice about hopping in it and driving it anywhere anytime.
I could care less about how many miles i put on it. Actually, it’s quite liberating. Just drive it like it is meant to be driven.
That being said, and as others have said here, don’t let mileage deter you from an otherwise good car. As cliche as it may sound, buy the seller. Buy a good car coming from a good seller and you will not regret it
Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 PM
mrrammstein
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally have a 52,000 km 2010 RS thats been heavily tracked - a few supporting mods, but the car is still ROCK solid - my friend has a low mile 2010, and when he drove mine, he couldnt tell the difference. These cars are insanely solid, even if tracked and higher miles. Its all about the maintenance that was done along the way!
Old 04-13-2019, 12:16 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrammstein
personally have a 52,000 km 2010 RS thats been heavily tracked - a few supporting mods, but the car is still ROCK solid - my friend has a low mile 2010, and when he drove mine, he couldnt tell the difference. These cars are insanely solid, even if tracked and higher miles. Its all about the maintenance that was done along the way!
which „mods“ + maintenance you mean ?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

47k miles on mine. 1st new clutch 1k miles ago. Cdn$6k at dealer using 4.0 clutch and LWF and its noticeably lighter than 3.8 and the whole setup just seems to run more harmoniously. I think 3.8 clutch no longer even avail - just superceded by 4.0. No other issues.
Just PPI, buy and enjoy!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

My non-RS 996 GT3 has 135,000 miles on it and the original clutch. The only engine work I had done so far is one coolant line, water pump, and a few seals. Routine maintenance (oil, filters, plugs) excluded.

I mostly street drive the car and occasional autocross.

It depends on what your intent is with the car, but the robustness of the engine, transmission, and the clutch would not be something I would even blink eye about at even 50K miles. This assumes the car passes a PPI.

If you are looking for an investment, then a low mileage car does matter. If you plan to drive it, the risk of catastrophic failure is going to be very low, particularly compared to normal Carrera engines. Don't over-egg the pudding.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:34 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Marv
My non-RS 996 GT3 has 135,000 miles on it and the original clutch. The only engine work I had done so far is one coolant line, water pump, and a few seals. Routine maintenance (oil, filters, plugs) excluded.

I mostly street drive the car and occasional autocross.

It depends on what your intent is with the car, but the robustness of the engine, transmission, and the clutch would not be something I would even blink eye about at even 50K miles. This assumes the car passes a PPI.

If you are looking for an investment, then a low mileage car does matter. If you plan to drive it, the risk of catastrophic failure is going to be very low, particularly compared to normal Carrera engines. Don't over-egg the pudding.
^mileage winner right here! Fantastic!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

so great to see & hear Marv! You are inspirational. You too blaksquirrel !!
Wife & I put over 800 miles on our '10 / 3 this past weekend. Hit a ton of great mtn roads up in PA. Got it filthy. I put myself in a mindset weeks before the weekend, that I did not care when it got dirty. I have 4 coats of CeramicPro 9H on the entire car (plus every other ext & interior surfaces coated with their entire line of products), and then the new XPEL Ultimate Plus on the front clip, mirrors, down along the lower rockers & in-front-of and behind the fender wells.
Fully protected, glorious exhaust rhapsody, and guilt free driving all weekend,... felt friggin' AWESOME.

The enthusiasm from the high mileage crew here is great!!!

... warning: the following picture may be offensive and difficult to see. proceed with caution....

Do not fear,... no GT3's were hurt during the filming of these events. Wash Analysis confirmed not a single nic or scratch!!

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-16-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Blaksquirrel
Old 04-22-2019, 02:24 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

If you sleep better w low miles....

https://www.nweuro.com/2011-porsche-gt3-rs
Old 04-22-2019, 03:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

I sleep better when I'm asleep. ... but when I'm awake I prefer to drive. {i know, i know,... "smarta$$"). sorry, just couldn't resist.

Question to you collectors out there:,.... at $205K asking price (3,900 miles),... isn't the expected appreciation profit already "taken out" of that car? ... sure we all expect the 997 GT3 RS to become "realized" as the best-of-the-best (once all the 991 guys come to this realization),... but $205K seems like it is already future priced.

just wondering,... since I'm not a collector.
=Steve

Quick Reply: higher mile GT3RS...thoughts?