Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 Speedster Center Muffler on 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Speedster Center Muffler on 997 GT3

Anyone else notice the 991 Speedster is set up to use only one center muffler from an interview with Andreas Preuninger here...
A new stainless steel exhaust system saves around 22 pounds compared with that of the 2019 GT3, too, and that weight savings comes at a crucial spot—low and near the back of the car. The GT3's exhaust had three mufflers, two on either side of the car, with one in the center. Now thanks to a particulate filter and catalyst, Porsche only needs a single rear muffler. It also has variable baffles that can adjust back-pressure and noise levels on the fly.
And then it also appears the 991 GT3 center muffler is the same part number as the 997 muffler as per the post here...
991.1 GT3 center muffler is same part # as 997.2 GT3. I have a used 991.1 GT3 muffler in my 997.1 GT3 for over a year.
So is anyone thinking about retrofitting this new center muffler and deleting the side mufflers? I know it is common to delete either the center or side mufflers (or both), but the centers tend to burn out and the Dundon lifetime center muffler is quite expensive at $4k+.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:08 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Not my area of expertise but how is it possible to use 10 year old tech on a new car with these so called "emissions regulations" that are forcing turbos on everything? Interested in hearing one of these speedsters in person to compare to gt3 with side mufflers.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:57 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pdobbs
So is anyone thinking about retrofitting this new center muffler and deleting the side mufflers? I know it is common to delete either the center or side mufflers (or both), but the centers tend to burn out and the Dundon lifetime center muffler is quite expensive at $4k+.
I made a PSA post on here recently regarding 997 vs 991 GT3 center mufflers, but I've already ran 991 GT3 center muffler with side deletes for a while. I recently flipped to center delete and 991 GT3 sides. It's all interchangeable legos as far as the exhaust system is concerned, with the exception of the headers. Different engine, different headers, no fit. If the Speedster center muffler is the same PN then it'll fit right up. Or just buy a used 991 GT3 center/side muffler once your muffler burns out/breaks valves/cracks/encounters whatever other form of failure that would necessitate a change.

Originally Posted by yachtfund
Not my area of expertise but how is it possible to use 10 year old tech on a new car with these so called "emissions regulations" that are forcing turbos on everything? Interested in hearing one of these speedsters in person to compare to gt3 with side mufflers.
Some of the emissions and MPG efficiency regulations for major vehicle manufacturers are based on a fleet-wide average. Which is why they can have their sports cars, and then offset that with super high efficiency cars. Then you have emissions credit trading among these manufacturers. Tesla made almost $190 million dollars off of trading manufacturer emissions credits in Q3 of 2018 alone. FCA just recently struck a deal with Tesla to trade credits to avoid billions in emissions fines. Finally, emissions are not strictly handled by the mufflers, those are more for noise. The catalytic converters are what do the emissions legwork, and those are not interchangeable between 997 and 991.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBraking
Some of the emissions and MPG efficiency regulations for major vehicle manufacturers are based on a fleet-wide average. Which is why they can have their sports cars, and then offset that with super high efficiency cars. Then you have emissions credit trading among these manufacturers. Tesla made almost $190 million dollars off of trading manufacturer emissions credits in Q3 of 2018 alone. FCA just recently struck a deal with Tesla to trade credits to avoid billions in emissions fines. Finally, emissions are not strictly handled by the mufflers, those are more for noise. The catalytic converters are what do the emissions legwork, and those are not interchangeable between 997 and 991.
Thanks for the response, I'm going to look more deeply into it now. It's cool they carry parts over like that even with brand new engines in the 991 cars.
Sounds to me like Tesla should trade some of those emissions credits to make a run of these...
Old 04-24-2019, 02:24 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Mufflers don't really effect emissions do they? Perhaps by effecting back pressure but they're main purpose is sound dampening.

Quick Reply: 991 Speedster Center Muffler on 997 GT3