Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antigravity Lithium-Ion Battery- Latest Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Godisgr8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have Antigravity ATX-30 in my Alfa 4C race car and I have no problem. Do you think I can use this same battery for my 997 GT3 RS? When the vehicle isn't in use, I always trickle charge.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,041 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Godisgr8
I have Antigravity ATX-30 in my Alfa 4C race car and I have no problem. Do you think I can use this same battery for my 997 GT3 RS? When the vehicle isn't in use, I always trickle charge.
Possibly but this kind of falls along the lines of the explanation from earlier as it is has a much smaller real time capacity (the 30Ah rating is in PbEq-lead acid equivalent as most powersports batteries are) in comparison to the automotive options which are rated in real amp hours. But in addition the BMS (battery management system) is designed a little bit differently as well with the discharge having a larger tolerance for the automotive line to be compatible with those type of applications so to clarify, the ATX30 doesn't have as much access to capacity. So a lot of this will depend on the set up of the vehicle as well and what we'll typically advise is that it would be good for a car that's set up for track only use. Meaning a lot of features have been downsized or removed so capacity is not as much of a concern. So can it be done? Possibly, but is it something we recommend? Not typically.

One last thing I wanted to touch on is chargers and battery maintainers as well. Now while there are scenario's where it's absolutely necessary (especially with lead/acid batteries) to have a tender/maintainer, it's not really ideal for any battery to be on one constantly. Really what it comes down to is that the battery is being unnecessarily cycled which in the long run is going to wear on the life of the battery. Lithium in particular has an extremely slow natural discharge rate so if the parasitic draw is low enough the battery can sit and be put on one only when it needs to be charged if at all. If it's higher or the vehicle in a location where it's not accessible for long periods of time then of course you'll want to use one more often as to not loose any settings or info dependent on memory retention.

Last edited by Antigravity; 07-23-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM
rensprt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I would like to be on the list for the H6-30. I see I cant pre-buy now but want to ensure I am on the list for when they are back in stock. How can we make that happen?
Old 05-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rensprt
Thanks for the reply. I would like to be on the list for the H6-30. I see I cant pre-buy now but want to ensure I am on the list for when they are back in stock. How can we make that happen?
Hi guys, if you would like to be on the list please send your request to info@antigravitybatteries.com and be sure to include your name, phone number and specify the battery (H6-30-RS).

Thank you
Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

I have the Antigravity ATX-30 in my GT3 5.6lbs. Works perfectly so far.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Hi Scott,
I have your ATX-30 battery in my car that I purchased from you earlier this year (order #45977). I've only used it a hand full of times as the car is a weekend / track car. Up until now it has performed flawlessly and has always started the car easily and without any issues but today I started having problems with it. I drove the car yesterday for about an hour and everything was fine. I went to start it up today and the car was totally dead. I popped the front trunk and went to check the battery voltage. It showed 0 volts. I then pressed the restart button and the battery came back to life and showed 12.87V when I checked it with my voltmeter. The car then started easily and I let it idle for about 10 minutes. Upon shutdown, the battery showed 13.14V when I put my voltmeter on it. When I went to start to car in a few minutes, it was again dead. Same process, I pressed the restart button and the battery came back to life and showed 13.13V. The car then started again.

I tried to call your support like but the mailbox was full. Can you please tell me what is going on with the battery? Obviously something is wrong with it since it keeps shutting off internally while the voltage is good. At what voltage is the battery programmed to shut itself off? At this point I'm a bit skeptical of it as I don't wanna keep dealing with a dead battery that I have to keep turning back on via the restart button and also having to deal with the electronic opening of the front trunk which is a pain everytime the battery shuts down.

I do have your fancy Li-Ion Optimate BC-OPT-291 battery charger/optimizer that I use on the battery. In case you are wondering, the car does not have any high draw accessories as it has no radio or other electronics. The Alternator is good and charging properly. I have a track event coming up in a week and hope you can shed some light on this so I can get this resolved as soon as possible. Thank you very much in advance for your prompt attention to this.

Last edited by powdrhound; 06-11-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Hi Scott,
I have your ATX-30 battery in my car that I purchased from you earlier this year (order #45977). I've only used it a hand full of times as the car is a weekend / track car. Up until now it has performed flawlessly and has always started the car easily and without any issues but today I started having problems with it. I drove the car yesterday for about an hour and everything was fine. I went to start it up today and the car was totally dead. I popped the front trunk and went to check the battery voltage. It showed 0 volts. I then pressed the restart button and the battery came back to life and showed 12.87V when I checked it with my voltmeter. The car then started easily and I let it idle for about 10 minutes. Upon shutdown, the battery showed 13.14V when I put my voltmeter on it. When I went to start to car in a few minutes, it was again dead. Same process, I pressed the restart button and the battery came back to life and showed 13.13V. The car then started again.

I tried to call your support like but the mailbox was full. Can you please tell me what is going on with the battery? Obviously something is wrong with it since it keeps shutting off internally while the voltage is good. At what voltage is the battery programmed to shut itself off? At this point I'm a bit skeptical of it as I don't wanna keep dealing with a dead battery that I have to keep turning back on via the restart button and also having to deal with the electronic opening of the front trunk which is a pain everytime the battery shuts down.

I do have your fancy Li-Ion Optimate BC-OPT-291 battery charger/optimizer that I use on the battery. In case you are wondering, the car does not have any high draw accessories as it has no radio or other electronics. The Alternator is good and charging properly. I have a track event coming up in a week and hope you can shed some light on this so I can get this resolved as soon as possible. Thank you very much in advance for your prompt attention to this.
Good morning Powdrhound, so there are a couple of things that could be going on here. The shutdown is not solely based on voltage but also the time and length of draw. Not only that but if there is draw while the car is running (meaning it's not sufficiently being charged at idle) the voltage will slightly bounce back up and recover once the draw ceases provided it's in a good state. So those voltages you've provided are all good for that battery and the battery going into sleep mode might be doing so to protect itself, the reason I say that and what is a little concerning is that the voltages are still below 13.2. If the battery is receiving sufficient charge it should be above this and will usually rest at 13.2v so we may have a case of the battery not being charged enough or something else causing a draw. Not to say there couldn't be something up with the BMS but we'd want to have a look at it to see exactly what's going on and also get a little more info about the set up of the vehicle to best determine what might be happening. In addition to that the ATX30 is not a higher capacity battery like the other automotive batteries are so as a whole if there is a draw you're left with a shorter amount of time the battery will stay awake due to that capacity. Please feel free to email chad@antigravitybatteries.com and we can go over getting the battery sent in and get this resolved for you.

-Chad
Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Great battery....finally ordered one.

What is the recommended charger since there are 4 to choose from on your web?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Great battery....finally ordered one.

What is the recommended charger since there are 4 to choose from on your web?
Well being blunt the 997s are known to have a bit more parasitic drain than the 991s due to Porsche updating their Battery Management in the Cars... meaning the shut down some of the systems earlier on the 991 so you get a lower Parasitic Draw on the 991 once all the systems shut down. So that being the case I would suggest either the CTEK Lithium which has a 4 Amp charge rate, or the Optimate Lithium 291 which has a 5 Amp Charge rate. As you go up in cost they give you more Amps which means a Faster charge... but actually its really negligible on how fast the difference is. The CTEK, or the Optimate are both do well and are the best in the Industry. The Optimate does seem to go through it charge cycle a bit quicker and has a better LOW BATTERY recovery... but with our Battery you won't be getting into a Low Battery Status since it has a full Battery Management system that prevents over-discharge, so that is more applicable to older types of Lithium Batteries without protections. So both are fine, and as far as value the CTEK is lower cost so a better overall cost value, but lacking 1 amp more of charging ability and a few less recovery features, and a tad slower. But I really can't say one is better than the other. But I do suggest going with a 4 or 5 amp charger on a 997 because the low price .0.8 Amp from Optimate (471) charger may not charge nearly as fast since it is a low Amp Charger and you might has a faster parasitic draw on the 997.

OH yeah we have a big sales this weekend.... 20% off Chargers and most other stuff. Auto Batteries are 15% off. If you bought the battery days before this 4th of July we will extend you that discount and refund you any difference.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Hello, I have a question for Antigravity Battery poster. I do not own a turbo, I found this thread while searching for info on lithium batteries.
I have a 2009 Cayman S. I am about to pull the trigger as I am due for a new battery. And most of my questions have been answered in this thread. Except for one thing, I live in Arizona a very hot climate. My car is a weekend fun car and sometimes track car. It will likely never see extreme cold. But often in the summer I will take it for a drive at 105 to 115° But I will not track the car over 100°. Would this be a problem for this battery?

When I use your website‘s battery finder this is the battery that comes up for my car, “Antigravity H7/Group-94R Car Battery”. If I purchase today how long would you expect before it can be shipped to me in Phoenix Arizona?

Thank you, I will look forward to your reply.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Surfndav
Hello, I have a question for Antigravity Battery poster. I do not own a turbo, I found this thread while searching for info on lithium batteries.
I have a 2009 Cayman S. I am about to pull the trigger as I am due for a new battery. And most of my questions have been answered in this thread. Except for one thing, I live in Arizona a very hot climate. My car is a weekend fun car and sometimes track car. It will likely never see extreme cold. But often in the summer I will take it for a drive at 105 to 115° But I will not track the car over 100°. Would this be a problem for this battery?

When I use your website‘s battery finder this is the battery that comes up for my car, “Antigravity H7/Group-94R Car Battery”. If I purchase today how long would you expect before it can be shipped to me in Phoenix Arizona?

This shouldn't be an issue at all as those temps are still well within spec and even if it did get crazy excessive at any point there are also the thermal protections built in to the Battery Management System
You are correct on the H7 model and orders will usually ship within 1-2 days so it wouldn't take that long at all.
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Surfndav

This is scott I will expand on this a bit for other who might have this questions also...

The temperatures in the Porsches are not really a concern ever.... this is because the battery is in the front of the Car without the heat of the engine around it.... Many of the other cars that use our battery have the Battery in the Engine Bay which creates a much higher degree of heat. So that is a use we expect and won't have a problem with. So the Porsche is not even a concern.

As for the Battery size... YEs you car does come with a H7... but the Porsches in most all models accept the H6, H7, and H8 sizes being they have an adjustable cleat. So while we prefer to keep the stock sizing, for any particular vehicle you can opt for the H6 size and it will fit as well but be about 1.5" LESS long (left to right dimension) ... but all other dimensions are the same.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:32 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
This is scott I will expand on this a bit for other who might have this questions also...

The temperatures in the Porsches are not really a concern ever.... this is because the battery is in the front of the Car without the heat of the engine around it.... Many of the other cars that use our battery have the Battery in the Engine Bay which creates a much higher degree of heat. So that is a use we expect and won't have a problem with. So the Porsche is not even a concern.

As for the Battery size... YEs you car does come with a H7... but the Porsches in most all models accept the H6, H7, and H8 sizes being they have an adjustable cleat. So while we prefer to keep the stock sizing, for any particular vehicle you can opt for the H6 size and it will fit as well but be about 1.5" LESS long (left to right dimension) ... but all other dimensions are the same.
Got it ordered, and I ordered the H6. This should be fun
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (07-10-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 PM
qtqc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I may be in the market for a new battery. What would be the best option for a 2010 997.2 Gt3Rs. Not frequently driven so it sounds like the 40ah is the best option. Would the H7 be the best option available?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by qtqc
Hi, I may be in the market for a new battery. What would be the best option for a 2010 997.2 Gt3Rs. Not frequently driven so it sounds like the 40ah is the best option. Would the H7 be the best option available?
An H7 or H8 AGM. The biggest one you can fit in there, on a CTEK tender.

Quick Reply: Antigravity Lithium-Ion Battery- Latest Model