Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What would you guys pay for a higher mileage 997 GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

In the UK there are around 60 997 GT2s and currently there are 2 on sale one of which has 41K miles on it, I think the other 59 are mainly in collections and/or driven rarely, a lot of people here have been caught up in the GT car hype and are sitting on these cars and not really using them.

In Germany the vast majority of 7GT2s have more than 40K miles it is the norm over there to drive em.

Mine has done 58K now and I would guess would be of zero interest to a collector so I drive it which I guess is what the OP is advocating....If the car is straight I'd bid them hard on the price and just drive and enjoy it, remember there were only 1261 997 GT2s built worldwide so in the scheme of Porsche things it will always be a rare bird so should always hold interest even with galactic mileage.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I think that $125K would be a great price, pending a clear understanding of the PPI. You will not lose money on a GT2 in the long run. Having said this let me complicate things for you:
  1. The weak link on the GT2 was the clutch and LSD – fyi and no big deal.
  2. It takes special talent to not overrev the DME. You hit the throttle, break tires loose, bang, and yellow triangles flash and you are up on the range…this gets your DME range 1/2/? (I know this because I owned virgin GT2s and I never made a money shift but yet had DME overrev up to 4).
  3. If the car has had a tune, then the DME count will most likely be up since the redline is most likely raised.
FWIW: I bought a new white ‘08GT2 for ~$200K and sold it in ’10-’11 and after 6,000 only-track miles during the recession for $125K and it went to Eastern Europe; regretted and with someone’s help in ~’11 picked up a virgin ’11 GT2RS for $250k and a low mileage ‘09GT2 for $155K. I will never sell these cars.GT2s in the US sit around a lot, just like GT3RS. Many people want to drive the new cars, PDK, warranty, .... (I don’t).If you a are collector don’t buy this car. If you are not a collector buy it and drive it. But beware that you can also buy a mint low mileage 997TT for less and the experience is not the same, but pretty close and you have UMW and Ackers near you. I owned one of those for 7 years as a daily.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
If the car hasn't been modified it should be bullet proof.
Beg to differ on that one. 997 gt2 is one of thosr cars that reliability increases with some basic mods. Intercooler and better clutch for one. Lsd another. The boost controler tends to leak, cheap replacement upgrade. Water pump could use metal blades or brushless or whatever solution someone found to this. Calipers will need a rebuild if the car ever saw track or some fast road.
Pinned oolant pipes are a must.
Water/meth alone will make the engine run for hundreds if it's not used to squeeze every single hp possible. A slightly bigger inlet will help boost quicker and lower iats, a bigger exhaust idem.
VGT cars run HOT even oem, and HOT intake temperatures is the death of these cars, so anything that helps with temps, helps with power and reliability.

P.S. Check torque on camshaft bolts, people think it only kills gt3's but 997 turbos lately have been plagued.
as a tlc check the radiators too, steering rack, all those small annoying to fix things.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

So your suggesting the car is not reliable. Or it has some of the same common issues as all Mezger cars. Or cars with 40K do require some maintenance. Not even sure what point your making. I bet I have more GT2 miles than anyone on this post. I think it's great that Steve wants to drive it. If resale doesn't matter it may be a good car but it's priced way too high given where cars are trading. I agree with most of CT944 comments. But I would figure out the answers to the questions I sent you via PM. JBO
Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Best thing to take out of this thread is asking and selling delta on gt2 is typically big, i agree offer well under ask and budget for typical maintenance, great cars, nice amalgam between 997 turbo and gt3, i miss mine
Old 03-14-2019, 06:03 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

So your suggesting the car is not reliable. Or it has some of the same common issues as all Mezger cars. Or cars with 40K do require some maintenance. Not even sure what point your making. I bet I have more GT2 miles than anyone on this post. I think it's great that Steve wants to drive it. If resale doesn't matter it may be a good car but it's priced way too high given where cars are trading. I agree with most of CT944 comments. But I would figure out the answers to the questions I sent you via PM. JBO
No, just that oem is not a plus point and some specific things to help OP get a safe buy. If it doesn't have the fixes already it might need these things that should be taken into account when buying any mezger with more than 10k.
My point here is that the things to take into account aren't really that mileage dependent, because the engine by itself is solid. I've seen gt2 with similar miles almost all made on tracks, still on oem internals, no rebuild, just some bolt ons (intercooler, exhaust and a tune).
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

I received great advice from Josh recently in regards to the GT2. I was looking into the white GT2 at Pfaff and even had a written trade in value for my 2009 Turbo. Josh knows his stuff and is honest with his answers...
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

My thanks to everyone who keeps contributing to this thread, you are definitely helping me out more than confusing me. One of the key takeaways for me is that the GT2 market is indeed very strange in the asking price to sales price, and that I can probably consider more cars than I've been led to believe.

The car I'm considering has had a recent round of maintenance done, including a fresh clutch. It is a Sachs clutch done to OEM specs, but supposedly offers great drive-ability on this platform. At one point this car had aftermarket coil-overs on it, but is now back on OEM suspension. I should also mention that gt2josh did send me a long reply last night and has given me plenty more to think about...thanks again for that.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

No doubt this is a great thread, I look forward to reading updates every day.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by CT944
No doubt this is a great thread, I look forward to reading updates every day.
I wish I had bought that white 6GT2 at Sloan but the seller had recently PO’d a good friend of mine on a 930.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

One thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the overall limited demand for this very rare and special 911 variant. It actually feels like the 996 GT2 model has slightly higher overall demand than the 997 GT2, which really is a big head scratcher to me. Not to say that I don't love 996 generation cars, but nearly all of us can agree that the 997 brought welcome refinement and generally better exterior styling, to say nothing of the interior transformation. As I currently own both generations, it's easy for me to see this every day.

The pricing spread on both 996 and 997 GT2s is beyond belief. I see 996 GT2 asking prices from $105k to $240k. The 997 GT2 seems a bit more narrow, with the car I'm considering defining the bottom at $139k and the top obviously going past $240k for the lowest mileage and rarest colors. But these cars just SIT on the market forever, at every single price point. It feels almost like a conspiracy theory against this model, as if Porsche really didn't deliver what people expected, and then suddenly got it right with the later 997.2 GT2 RS (no mystery whatsoever that those 600 cars are priced into the stratosphere).

I really believe that the 997 GT2 (and 996 GT2) may be the most under-valued models of recent times, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out if my $140k (ish) budget is going to get me into one of these cars. Some are giving me hope that it could, and this is a dream that I didn't expect to be able to attain. So, I'm continuing to read up and I've already started to get my finances in order to pull this off. But it just seems ludicrous for me to believe that if a dealer is asking $175k that I could offer $140k with a straight face and be treated seriously?
Old 03-14-2019, 01:17 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
One thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the overall limited demand for this very rare and special 911 variant. It actually feels like the 996 GT2 model has slightly higher overall demand than the 997 GT2, which really is a big head scratcher to me. Not to say that I don't love 996 generation cars, but nearly all of us can agree that the 997 brought welcome refinement and generally better exterior styling, to say nothing of the interior transformation. As I currently own both generations, it's easy for me to see this every day.

The pricing spread on both 996 and 997 GT2s is beyond belief. I see 996 GT2 asking prices from $105k to $240k. The 997 GT2 seems a bit more narrow, with the car I'm considering defining the bottom at $139k and the top obviously going past $240k for the lowest mileage and rarest colors. But these cars just SIT on the market forever, at every single price point. It feels almost like a conspiracy theory against this model, as if Porsche really didn't deliver what people expected, and then suddenly got it right with the later 997.2 GT2 RS (no mystery whatsoever that those 600 cars are priced into the stratosphere).

I really believe that the 997 GT2 (and 996 GT2) may be the most under-valued models of recent times, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out if my $140k (ish) budget is going to get me into one of these cars. Some are giving me hope that it could, and this is a dream that I didn't expect to be able to attain. So, I'm continuing to read up and I've already started to get my finances in order to pull this off. But it just seems ludicrous for me to believe that if a dealer is asking $175k that I could offer $140k with a straight face and be treated seriously?
what do you have to lose? that car costs money to sit there, and wholesaling it would probably mean a serious hair cut given it's a very niche car, with too many miles for a bubble "collector" and very limited demand. The prices are coming down on these cars, this is not the same market as last year.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Hey RennOracle,

My apologies for coming across like a jerk. I fully understand where you are coming from. Your last post cleared it up. Very well said. I'm no expert here just a GT2 fanatic.

​​​​​​​Best Josh
Old 03-14-2019, 01:20 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Awesome comment from lawrence! The term bubble car was one I often used to describe the F40 market when I was in the market. As lawrence says you have nothing to lose. Best Josh
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, and particularly Josh for the personal chat as well. Most of my anxiety and uncertainty is really that I've never experienced any 'bubble market' mentality like this for a car that you'd think wouldn't have so much market fluctuation and uncertainty. I happen to personally know two friends who both traded in white 08 GT2's last year...which are both unsurprisingly still being held at dealers. At this point I'm trying to get a bit more information on each. Once my money is fully assembled I will also make a proper WTB ad on this forum and another. You guys rule...and I was so fortunate that RennList came to the rescue 6 years ago when I bought my GT3 RS as well. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: What would you guys pay for a higher mileage 997 GT2?