Issues with GT3 not being driven?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 PM
dabulls113
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
that is just so sad.

I'd hate to ask if he is afraid to cross the street too, for fear of getting hit by a bus. errrrr, I should not have said that. Sorry if he is a friend.

But for real,... I just don't quite understand owning these cars as just "wall art" (or garage art). But if indeed he has the car INSIDE his house, and invites his Artsy friends over for dinner & cocktails,... and they stare at the Art,... then I take it ALL back. ... because they are quite beauuuuutiful.

=Steve
yeah he’s afraid of someone hitting him. I

He said he’s always wanted a 911, saw the gt3 bought it on site and I think it’s a little too aggressive for his liking, should have bought a tiptronic turbo drove it all year round and not worried about value.

He showed me because he knows im a car guy, not really an art piece, I think he’s holding onto it as an investment, 996 gt3 is not an investment car, it’s a have fun and break even car when you sell it.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah... I have an 04 with 9,800 miles on.... giving off a nervous laugh as i type this.
Anyways, the worst iv noticed is that she leaks a little bit of oil if she has not been driven in a while. Other than that... knocking on wood.
Plan to drive her this summer!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it is at least a $100k car. The minor issues to make it road going will cost you additional $10-15K maybe. These are very robust. Buy it and get her ready then drive it!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:56 PM
dabulls113
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alexey21
Yeah... I have an 04 with 9,800 miles on.... giving off a nervous laugh as i type this.
Anyways, the worst iv noticed is that she leaks a little bit of oil if she has not been driven in a while. Other than that... knocking on wood.
Plan to drive her this summer!
There you go drive that baby!

Originally Posted by Riz
I think it is at least a $100k car. The minor issues to make it road going will cost you additional $10-15K maybe. These are very robust. Buy it and get her ready then drive it!
Wow 100k? I think you just priced me out of this car. I’ve also got to convince my boss to sell it to me, hope he isn’t lurking on here...
Old 02-21-2019, 06:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
ahem,... can you just justify that $100K number with some comparables? ... cuz that's not the market pricing I'm seeing out there.

I'm thinking that cgfen is closer to reality (post #10 above). IMO opinion, for something like this that has been sitting, battery dead, & even though he says it is "up to date" with service,... we all know there are a few things lurking.... even WITH the PCCB's & 17K mileage,... I'm at low $70's. 17K is above where someone is going to put this in a collection. this needs to be driven,... and thus should be bought at that price.

=Steve
Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 180 Posts

Ask your Boss "who are you saving this for??"

Maybe you can buy it, drive it all winter and post dirty GT3 photos for us here
Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 PM
dabulls113
Advanced

Originally Posted by TYPE911
Ask your Boss "who are you saving this for??"

Maybe you can buy it, drive it all winter and post dirty GT3 photos for us here

He’s saving it for himself, told me he’s going to drive it to the office this spring, not holding my breath. He really wants to keep it now that I’ve expressed interest, of course...

Drive it all winter? Man that would be a blast but I’m not sure I could do it if I owned. Plus, I already have a winter car. Let me know if you are interested in some pics of a dirty M3 Competition haha.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

offer 75 & run!! its worthless sitting
Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

I’ve spent the past year recommissioning my 996 cup that was not driven for 9 years. For the purpose of this conversation the cup and road going GT3 are the same. I had to replace every single rubber coolant hose and two of the three radiators as the hoses had gone hard and the radiators corroded. Now you might not have any issues with the radiators as road cars usually run anti-freeze unlike the race cars that typically run mostly water, but I’d bet the hoses need to be done. Just under 1K in parts and roughly 10-12 hours in labour from memory. Apart from that, it was only a matter of changing all fluids and filters and away you go. I’d even follow up the initial fluid change with a secondary change at a short interval (say 1K miles) if you wanted to be on the cautious side.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:27 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

My rear main seal h stopped leaking Installed a new exhaust and it stopped. Previously had a center delete on it, and it started leaking.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They heal themselves at times. Keep running the car.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, everyone has their own purpose for a car. I have 14k on my RS and not afraid to drive it more on back roads etc. rather than on a track. These cars are not cheap and some just weigh price vs. possible damage to a car they spend a large sum on. It's all in how you value money. One individual happens to have TWO of the same car because he likes them so much. Another fellow, new to the track, tried keeping up with the "big dogs" and put the car into a barrier, creating some front end damage. Just call the wife for a ride home while the car goes to a body shop, and live to run another day.........
In summary, to each his own.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Value between $70K and $80K max.

The ceramic brakes are hellaciously expensive to maintain and if you track it, then you will want to go to steel rotors anyway.

Anything rubber and anything liquid are going to be suspect.

That can be a long list as seals and gaskets may not leak at first, but as the car is used they can fail spontaneously.

If the coolant pipes are not pinned, then you should deduct for that (at least $3,000). That's mandatory for a tracked car, not so much for a street car (I have 134K street miles on mine with one fitting welded so far).

If you found a similar car with similar mileage that had similar maintenance, but driven more often, then you probably have a lower risk with the frequently driven car.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreeing with 70-80k max.. probably more like 70k.

There are lesser examples of 997 GT3s for asking 87K. Most any buyer would go for a 997 over a 996 just based on performance. A car that's been sitting, **** tires, etc starts to smell like a 10-20k discount off a perfect car.

Quick Reply: Issues with GT3 not being driven?