Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Issues with GT3 not being driven? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1130002-issues-with-gt3-not-being-driven.html)

dabulls113 02-19-2019 04:27 PM

Issues with GT3 not being driven?

Was at my bosses house over the weekend. He has 04’ GT3 Arctic Silver with 17k on the odo and NEVER drives the car. It has sat in his garage since he purchased from first owner in ‘07 still has original tires. What damage is he doing to the car? He’s already had to replace rear main seal.

How much is the car worth? Would like to make a respectable offer when/if time is right.

Thanks

LexVan 02-19-2019 04:41 PM

Sitting for 12 years? Wow!

Assuming NO rodent damage:

All new fluids (coolant, brake, oil, gear lube)
New battery.
Check pads & rotors for rust.

Clean CarFax?
Good DME report?

Take market price minus the maintenance costs to bring up to date. Offer that. And drive it.

dabulls113 02-19-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15650091)
Sitting for 12 years? Wow!

Assuming NO rodent damage:

All new fluids (brake, oil, gear lube)
New battery.
Check pads & rotors for rust.

Clean CarFax?
Good DME report?

Take market price minus the maintenance costs to bring up to date. Offer that. And drive it.

He says no accidents and I don’t see signs of paintwork, not sure he knows what a DME report is... Car has been stored in a climate control garage. Smells brand new in cabin.

misterwaterfall 02-19-2019 04:59 PM

Add in to the things that are timing out. Hoses etc would need to be replaced though not solely because of the sitting.

LexVan 02-19-2019 05:01 PM

Get coolant hoses pinned.

dabulls113 02-19-2019 05:26 PM

Oops this was for 996 forum but I’m sure same issues with a 997 sitting for 12 years.

bweSteve 02-19-2019 10:36 PM

17k on the Odo, and it's still on the original tires? ... or maybe you meant to say that it still has the same tires from when the current owner bought it 12 yrs ago. Either way - TIRES! Lol.

and yes, most of us realized a '04 is a 996, and that a lot of same issue sitting for 12 years. But another suggestion would be to use the Porsche Maintenance Schedule to tally up all the things it would need for it's 15 year Major Service.

dabulls113 02-19-2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by bweSteve (Post 15650825)
17k on the Odo, and it's still on the original tires? ... or maybe you meant to say that it still has the same tires from when the current owner bought it 12 yrs ago. Either way - TIRES! Lol.

and yes, most of us realized a '04 is a 996, and that a lot of same issue sitting for 12 years. But another suggestion would be to use the Porsche Maintenance Schedule to tally up all the things it would need for it's 15 year Major Service.

Yeah you are probably right I think my boss means the original tires he put on. Would you need to replace major service items despite no wear and tear?

He says up to date on service has the car trailered to the dealer... the horror...

bweSteve 02-20-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dabulls113 (Post 15650892)
.... He says up to date on service has the car trailered to the dealer...

Hmmm, well if he says he has it up to date on service, and has all the documentation to prove it (& allows those records to flow thru to you as the next owner), then you may not need to replace the "Timed Out" items that would be on the list at 15 yrs old now.

Originally Posted by dabulls113 (Post 15650892)
Would you need to replace major service items despite no wear and tear?

yes. yes you would because those items will have Timed Out (rubber products such as hoses, seals can age out with time & deteriorate). It just depends on the parts under consideration. That's why consulting the Porsche Maintenance Book & see what they suggest is a good approach.

With cars even older than 15 yrs (think 964's & 993's), once parts get to be that age, even things like the plastic dust covers on the front upper shocks, & the rubber bump stops for shocks, can age out, crack & need to be replaced. But you should not yet need to worry about those yet.

Misterwaterfall said it above as well....

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall (Post 15650131)
Add in to the things that are timing out. Hoses etc would need to be replaced though not solely because of the sitting.

=Steve

cgfen 02-20-2019 02:09 PM

Possible problems;
  • Battery
  • H20 overflow tank and cap
  • How old is the fuel?
Good luck chasing this down
Value? 75K with PCCB, less without.

Gofishracing 02-20-2019 02:30 PM

rear seal gets dry and will leak if not driven regularly- ugh.

dabulls113 02-20-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by cgfen (Post 15652015)
Possible problems;
  • Battery
  • H20 overflow tank and cap
  • How old is the fuel?
Good luck chasing this down
Value? 75K with PCCB, less without.

Battery is toast car wouldn’t start.
Fuel was siphoned and replaced by the dealer when RMS was done about a year ago.

It has Ceramics.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing (Post 15652067)
rear seal gets dry and will leak if not driven regularly- ugh.

i wonder if he will have to replace it again, he’s not planning on driving the car anytime soon, doesn’t want to damage the car...

bweSteve 02-20-2019 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by dabulls113 (Post 15652210)
..... he’s not planning on driving the car anytime soon, doesn’t want to damage the car...

:roflmao: :surr: :confused: :banghead:

dabulls113 02-20-2019 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by bweSteve (Post 15652306)
:roflmao: :surr: :confused: :banghead:

Factory paint cannot be replaced, factory main seals can.

bweSteve 02-20-2019 07:32 PM

that is just so sad.

I'd hate to ask if he is afraid to cross the street too, for fear of getting hit by a bus. errrrr, I should not have said that. Sorry if he is a friend.

But for real,... I just don't quite understand owning these cars as just "wall art" (or garage art). But if indeed he has the car INSIDE his house, and invites his Artsy friends over for dinner & cocktails,... and they stare at the Art,... then I take it ALL back. ... because they are quite beauuuuutiful.

=Steve