Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

325/30/19 on stock 997.1 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:58 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice Jim. Good work on that one. It's a lot of words jumbled into what clearly is your best work. I was bored until you crawled out of your hole. Now it's gotten a bit more interesting. Keep working and maybe you can explain what you want beyond the repeated answers including it fits. I'm still trying to get a handle on what you seem to want. Other than these are the EXACT same size tires on a different model Porsche. You better keep working on this one. I think your starting to crack the code. Nice use of ****. You should be banned but from a human behavior perspective I'd like to understand how a 12 year old functions. I wasn't blessed with children and then just my luck here you are. Nice!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 805 Likes on 453 Posts

As you guys know, different tires (e.g. Pirelli vs. Michelin...) have different widths if you even compare 305s to 305s.
Sometimes, the same brand will vary from tire to tire (e.g. PSC vs PS4S...). For this reason, on my previous car, I would run 255s when running NT01s but 265s with RS3s if I remember correct but the car came with dunlops? 245 on the same wheels (Volk CE28n wheels on an EVO VIII).
So, if people are genuinely interested in this, post the specs of the 997.1 GT3 wheels, the .1RS wheels, the 997.2 wheels, and then .2RS wheels. I would do this with AND without 5mm spacers for the .1.
Then, post the OEM tires and measurements for each tire that came OEM on those wheels.
This would be a good starting point for discussion.
People can then measure and post the exact specs of what they run as well.
Once that data is compiled, it would be easy to see the differences and make a decision whether it is worthwhile or not. I haven't tracked my car with the current tires but people who regularly drive these cars at the limit can probably also offer some solid insight because even on ACH and other canyon passes around LA, I never get close to how one drives even for a DE on the track.
I think about this a lot having the .1 wheels and suspension on my car because the use of a spacer confuses me. To me it says, some mistake was made with the wheels specs initially and the solution was to add a 5mm spacer. With the .2, that mistake was amended (i.e. +68 to +63 on the offsets on the GT3 nonRS wheels to my memory).

Also, let's be honest about this, no one would run a spacer if they had a chance to just have the right wheel sizes, so this does seem to be a mistake.

Without the above data all compiled in one place, my thinking is that you could feasibly take off the spacer from both the 997.1 GT3 and GT3RS to run a bigger tire. There is definitely room up front for a wider tire or a 5mm spacer, and I currently have no spacer with my GT3 coilovers aligned and corner balanced properly. I see that there is clearly room for a 5mm spacer in the rear as sent from the factory but without knowing how wide each tire is really, it is hard to tell. Also, I am not sure if tire width would fix an oddity in offset. My goal wouldn't be to run a wider tire as much as it would be to not run a spacer, so less looks... and more just to eliminate the spacer altogether.

I do think this discussion is interesting mainly to try to figure out why the .1 came with spacers in the rear and if it is possible to fix what appears to be a calculation error with different tires over just swapping wheels.

Anyways, ::flame suit on:: go ahead, do your worst!!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Josh, I can totally understand why no female would want to bear children from such a jerk as yourself. I should be banned, huh? Maybe once the forum is owned and administered by you, you can do just that. Until that time, **** off. I can only wish I was 12 again. Once again, for the dumb kids in class, put down the paste, and listen up since you obviously don't have the ability or incentive to read the previous postings. The 997.1 and the 997.2 RS models have different wheel offsets (and 5-lug versus centerlock wheels) and the front wheel on the 997.2RS is 1/2" wider. Add to this that the front fenders on the two models have a different part number, and that the 997.1 utilizes a 5mm spacer on the rears, and this is why the confusion. I have no knowledge - gee, maybe I should check on the friendly Rennlist Porsche forum? - whether the body was changed between the two models. I was trying to determine from the more helpful members here, whether or not there are any fitment issues such as fender or suspension interference. I was attempting to be certain BEFORE I tore up a $1600 set of Cup tires, and more importantly, destroyed my bodywork. It would be nice if I could just blow the money, and not care if I buggered up my fenders, but that is not the case, as I DO have children to consider. I hope I have clarified this enough for your simple level of understanding. Hurry up now, you're going to miss the short bus out front.

Last edited by HarmonyJim; 05-22-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
As you guys know, different tires (e.g. Pirelli vs. Michelin...) have different widths if you even compare 305s to 305s.
Sometimes, the same brand will vary from tire to tire (e.g. PSC vs PS4S...). For this reason, on my previous car, I would run 255s when running NT01s but 265s with RS3s if I remember correct but the car came with dunlops? 245 on the same wheels (Volk CE28n wheels on an EVO VIII).
So, if people are genuinely interested in this, post the specs of the 997.1 GT3 wheels, the .1RS wheels, the 997.2 wheels, and then .2RS wheels. I would do this with AND without 5mm spacers for the .1.
Then, post the OEM tires and measurements for each tire that came OEM on those wheels.
This would be a good starting point for discussion.
People can then measure and post the exact specs of what they run as well.
Once that data is compiled, it would be easy to see the differences and make a decision whether it is worthwhile or not. I haven't tracked my car with the current tires but people who regularly drive these cars at the limit can probably also offer some solid insight because even on ACH and other canyon passes around LA, I never get close to how one drives even for a DE on the track.
I think about this a lot having the .1 wheels and suspension on my car because the use of a spacer confuses me. To me it says, some mistake was made with the wheels specs initially and the solution was to add a 5mm spacer. With the .2, that mistake was amended (i.e. +68 to +63 on the offsets on the GT3 nonRS wheels to my memory).

Also, let's be honest about this, no one would run a spacer if they had a chance to just have the right wheel sizes, so this does seem to be a mistake.

Without the above data all compiled in one place, my thinking is that you could feasibly take off the spacer from both the 997.1 GT3 and GT3RS to run a bigger tire. There is definitely room up front for a wider tire or a 5mm spacer, and I currently have no spacer with my GT3 coilovers aligned and corner balanced properly. I see that there is clearly room for a 5mm spacer in the rear as sent from the factory but without knowing how wide each tire is really, it is hard to tell. Also, I am not sure if tire width would fix an oddity in offset. My goal wouldn't be to run a wider tire as much as it would be to not run a spacer, so less looks... and more just to eliminate the spacer altogether.

I do think this discussion is interesting mainly to try to figure out why the .1 came with spacers in the rear and if it is possible to fix what appears to be a calculation error with different tires over just swapping wheels.

Anyways, ::flame suit on:: go ahead, do your worst!!
Refer to posting #23.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I am likewise trying to fit the 997.2RS tires (245/325-19s) on my 997.1RS. Since theses sizes were decided upon for the 997.2RS, my guess is Porsche felt this was a properly sized set to keep the car's balance as best as is possible. I have been trying to find out if there are any concerns with this up-sizing - if the oem specs for alignment and ride height are retained. The confusion may have something to do with the fact that the offsets are slightly different, and the front wheels were 1/2" wider on the latter car. Add into the mix that the 997.1RS uses a 5mm spacer on the rear wheels, and you can understand where the confusion comes from. From my research, if the rear spacer is removed, it appears the 325 should fit - I hope with no rubbing issues. Of more concern is fitting the 245 front since the offsets are different between the two cars (53 vs 57) and the wheels are different widths (8.5" vs 9"). Somebody on this forum must have done this to an otherwise stock 997.1RS. Recently I have received a photo of a 997.1 running the desired combo, but I never get any information from the owner as to specs and modifications, so I cannot be sure it would work for us. Good luck on your search, and please post your results (as will I).
So this is a good starting point. I am not thinking people need a spreadsheet but a good compare and contrast can just focus on the raw data. Even though I did this for a job when I was in college, I have to be a bit honest to say I am confused by how all this pans out. I might just ask Tyson at PRO Motorsports before I buy tires again. I would rather run something optimized for performance and not look as good rather than run something that looks better but runs like crap.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:00 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
So this is a good starting point. I am not thinking people need a spreadsheet but a good compare and contrast can just focus on the raw data. Even though I did this for a job when I was in college, I have to be a bit honest to say I am confused by how all this pans out. I might just ask Tyson at PRO Motorsports before I buy tires again. I would rather run something optimized for performance and not look as good rather than run something that looks better but runs like crap.
I agree, jamessinger, as I am looking for optimized performance. Thank you for your pleasant and helpful response.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

LOL! So many helpful comments and still not one from Jim. You still haven't explained anything. So while others use logic, experience, data, measurements you keep telling me you need tires close to the width of those on my F40. Either you can't drive or you can't think. I have a feeling it's both. You keep telling me there are different Porsches. WTF? I've owned multiples of nearly all of them *******. Now why don't you tell the board why you need such huge rear tires. Lets hear something. Anything other than your bull****. All you've proven so far is you've somehow managed to crawl out of the filth of the afterbirth that chased you here. Now why don't you leave.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

LETS FIND THIS GUY!!
haha.
my friend on here sent me this. 997.1 GT3 NB with 245s in front 325s in the rear.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should but I would be interested in the story behind this, especially because it looks like he was on the track with it. I wonder what his review would be OEM spec vs. this...

cup 2s, track height, no rubbing.
My only point here is this means for sure you CAN do this on a GT3 RS. The argument is whether one SHOULD I guess.
I cannot answer that question.

I really like how much rubber people can cram under these NB cars.
I especially like this set up, but 18s and HREs:

Last, in for pics of an F40 running 335s on 17s for sure. I am just saying.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Has anyone considered what the larger tire will do to acceleration?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

Wow, J & J just let **** roll off thy shoulder and not be so literal on a forum. All three of us are semi local, maybe we can meet up for some beer?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
LOL! So many helpful comments and still not one from Jim. You still haven't explained anything. So while others use logic, experience, data, measurements you keep telling me you need tires close to the width of those on my F40. Either you can't drive or you can't think. I have a feeling it's both. You keep telling me there are different Porsches. WTF? I've owned multiples of nearly all of them *******. Now why don't you tell the board why you need such huge rear tires. Lets hear something. Anything other than your bull****. All you've proven so far is you've somehow managed to crawl out of the filth of the afterbirth that chased you here. Now why don't you leave.
GT2Josh, you really are a nasty little troll, aren't you? Explains a lot of stuff. Sorry, I am not going to leave just because it offends you. If you don't get a grip on this, I will definitely report you to the administrator. We will let him work this out. I have tried to explain the reasons for my postings, but you are unwilling to understand what I am trying to explain. I have indeed explained EXACTLY what my reasons are time and again. The other forum users who have read this can figure it out. The statements you continue to make just illustrate that you can't allow others to enjoy this forum. One last time for you...these are the same sizes that are used on the 997.2RS. In regards to me being unqualified to ask questions (something I was under the impression was the purpose of this forum), I road raced for Yamaha on TZ250s for 5 years, and earned a nice handful of championships. I am not totally unqualified, if not nearly to the experience standards of many of the other posters.

Last edited by HarmonyJim; 05-23-2019 at 01:32 AM. Reason: De-escalation of situation
Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Good point Mike. I'm an ******* and I'm waaaaay too passionate about this stuff. I need a release valve. Always happy too get together with folks so they can tell me I'm a jerk or, for those who haven't seen automotive candyland, visit Mike. Argh the silver .1 is a dream I wishy I could realize,. So so awesome. I apologize Jim. I was a pompous jerk. JBO
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Wow, J & J just let **** roll off thy shoulder and not be so literal on a forum. All three of us are semi local, maybe we can meet up for some beer?
FLT6SPD, I would be honored to share a beer with you sometime. However, I have my limits and standards, and forum trolls are not invited in my world.

Last edited by HarmonyJim; 05-23-2019 at 01:31 AM. Reason: De-escalation of nasty situation
Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Good point Mike. I'm an ******* and I'm waaaaay too passionate about this stuff. I need a release valve. Always happy too get together with folks so they can tell me I'm a jerk or, for those who haven't seen automotive candyland, visit Mike. Argh the silver .1 is a dream I wishy I could realize,. So so awesome. I apologize Jim. I was a pompous jerk. JBO
If this is sincere, I would appreciate burying the hatchet.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

It is sincere. I don't know how to react given your last tirade. That was vicious. I won't explain my position but I didn't handle it well. If you want to report me to an admin that is your right. I am sorry. JBO

Quick Reply: 325/30/19 on stock 997.1 wheels?