Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DSC Sport calibration files

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:53 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default DSC Sport calibration files

For you DSC users out there - what calibration file are you using on track with OEM shocks?

DSC have 3 for download:

OEM/Bilstein
Slightly firmer
Substantially firmer

Using for the first time and want to avoid wasting time at the track playing with maps/config if I can.

Matty
Old 01-19-2019, 03:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
For you DSC users out there - what calibration file are you using on track with OEM shocks?

DSC have 3 for download:

OEM/Bilstein
Slightly firmer
Substantially firmer

Using for the first time and want to avoid wasting time at the track playing with maps/config if I can.

Matty

I have used all the DSC maps(calibration file). Sorry, there's no short answer for this question because it is subjective to each driver and to how the particular car is setup/equipped. Any one of the maps has proven to make the car noticeably more "planted" than with the stock PASM controller. A more planted or a more "hooked up" car inspires more confidence because it is more stable near or at the limit of grip, inviting the driver to push the corner a little harder to get that fraction of second improvement per corner resulting a a sizable improvement per lap. All three of these DSC maps have the same maximum damping value. The difference between the three maps is the minimum damping value in Normal mode. DSC dynamically commands each damper to the load in near real time so the damping command output is relative to the load.The load is amount of G-force, direction of G-force, braking activity, and rate of change of these inputs. So, the load profile varies with each driver's driving style(some have smoother inputs while others are more aggressive), the tire compound, and the rest of the car. For example, stiffer sway bar and/or stiffer springs may pair better with the map that has lower min value. And on a bump track it may be better to run the map with lower min value. Some drivers don't prefer the initial body roll of the lower min value map before the G-force ramps up, While some drivers totally dig it, like the roll characteristic of a 2016-up MX-5 that rolls and digs the tire in. It all about personal preference. I don't think you'll be wasting your time per say with any of the map.

If you purchased your DSC new in 2017 or later, it has the middle map(slight firmer) in it already, which is the most popular by user preference. The original map has min value that was too soft by preference of most users. Again, the max values are the same for all three maps.

Hope this helps.

PS- I know that's a lot of info so its okay to think less about it and enjoy.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this Tom. So I am clear you are saying:

The “sport” mode on all 3 maps is identical and only the “normal” mode differs?

if that is the case then it would seem the “substantially firmer” map would allow “normal” and “sport” modes to be used on track (given “normal mode” is also very firm).

And the “OEM/Bilstein” and “slightly firmer” maps would perhaps be more of a “normal” = street driving and “sport” = track driving.

Thanks
Matty

Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

The Shock Calibration of the 3 maps are all the same.
Only the low end of the range and sensitivity is different.
Another words when the car exceeds 0.5g all 3 maps perform the same.
It only at lower g-force that they feel different.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:53 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Got it.. thanks. Great product btw
Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Got it.. thanks. Great product btw
Glad you like it.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Tom - I found two differences in the sport mode between the “slightly firmer” and “substantially firmer” maps.

1. Travel stops: this is populated in the “slightly firmer” and empty in the “substantially firmer”. Is this feature used?

2. G comfort default: 15 for “slightly firmer” and 20 in “substantially firmer”. Given these maps are meant to only differ in normal mode, is there little to no real difference in between 15 and 20?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Tom - I found two differences in the sport mode between the “slightly firmer” and “substantially firmer” maps.

1. Travel stops: this is populated in the “slightly firmer” and empty in the “substantially firmer”. Is this feature used?
Travel Stop function is not used on 997 models because 997's don't have the ride height sensors like the 991's do. These numbers don't do anything on a 997. The reason why these numbers show up is because this calibration file was made prior to the current version of the DSC Tuner software(version 1.8.3) which has the Velocity page that's not even used at all on 997's. You can zero out these numbers if it makes you feel better.

2. G comfort default: 15 for “slightly firmer” and 20 in “substantially firmer”. Given these maps are meant to only differ in normal mode, is there little to no real difference in between 15 and 20?
The Default Rate is the minimum damping value in the dynamic damping range. This value is expressed in percentage so the difference between 15 and 20 is only 5% when the car is at less than 0.2g-force, which is almost never on track.

To have a better understanding of these function you should read the DSC Software User Manual from the DSC Sport website. There's also additional resources in the DSC Tuner Software at the top of each page "Help" > "Open Help Dialog" , and I think I have answered same questions a few dozen time on this forum alone.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this Tom.

As a side note, these are DSC supplied 997 calibration files: removing settings that dont do anything on this platform would also stop ppl asking about them

Quick Reply: DSC Sport calibration files