Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS 4.0 is and will be the queen ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isv
A mid engine car is always going to be considerably more snappy than a rear engine car though simply down to physics, low polar moment etc and all.
The 246 GT is very friendly. Nowhere near as much grip would be part of it of course.

Originally Posted by isv
Re tyres - the major difference ime is that the later supersport tyres make the car far less highly strung when cold. They also have more overall grip when warm of course but the biggest difference for me was when the tyres weren't warmed up. The older PS2 tyres were alright if you could get enough heat into them though.
Interesting.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

4:45 ^
that's all he had to say
the rest of is blah blah blah
"... the 4 liter is car u have to experience...,."
you can talk sex all day, until you experience, you have no clue what it is..
" many talk about true love, but few ever experience or understand it..."
THAT is 4.0L
Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^^^

Reading others people or journalist opinions about particular cars is a form of entertainment because i like the topic and curious what other people think. Older i get and more cars I've owned, I've realized it doesn't translate well for me at all into what my opinion actually will be. I have to drive it.

I even remember reaching out for an opinion to one sage old member her (a few of u may know ) about 964 RS and cup USA, back when i was hunting for my first. He told me something like "it's all old, slow, antique crap that isn't any fun to drive". Several years later, i think he may be single handed driving up the price and hoarding those "antique 911s" Which also has happened to me; i end up appreciating the thrill/experience behind the wheel of a given car differently at different places/times in life.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

As with opinions about anything you have to know whether the other person has similar priorities. I've found Evo writers, especially the more Porsche oriented ones, are on my wavelength.

I've asked the question on other threads and had good responses but am always interested in more opinions: how do you rate the air-cooled RSs against the 4.0? I owned an '81 SC for several years but the only air-cooled RS drive I've had was a short one thwarted by traffic in a 2.7 RS Touring. Perhaps I needed some clear road to use more revs and feel the weight transfer or perhaps it needed a mechanical refresh to sharpen it up but I found everything about it disappointingly soft: throttle response, steering, sound. Evo love it so I probably just needed to be able to give it its head.

The other air-cooled RSs that particularly appeal to me are the 964 3.6 and 3.8 if anyone has any thoughts.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

highly biased and feel
free to crucify

I have lots miles on 964rs and 993rs
great cars.

I driven. 73rs and ian other lesser long hoods

to me the long hoods when set up rights gets under my skin. the 964/993 doesnt

its a feel thing. I cannot describe. but here is how I measure how much I like a car. if u show me another longhood I immediately feel
the urge to buy it. if u show me a 964/993rs I don’t feel
thst urge.

doesnt mean thwy are less good but I just don’t have the urge. have one 964 one 993 is enough but having 10 longhoods is too few. since i
have that feeling then to me those drice better.

u really have to drive them
as all feel
all different. if u want speed get 991. sound and smell is a big deal for me. 991 sounds ok and smell plastic.

babbling...
its like dating
some
times ur friends wonder why i date a fugly witch when u can have snow white. but snow while jsut ain’t for u.

sorry extra type on phone. but this is an interesting discussion to me
Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
I've asked the question on other threads and had good responses but am always interested in more opinions: how do you rate the air-cooled RSs against the 4.0?
I think it's an apples and oranges comparison. 997 4.0 is a screaming, powerful, ott sensorial experience compared to the AC RS, which I consider to be more about subtlety, balance, kinda zen-like experience.

I've had was a short one thwarted by traffic in a 2.7 RS Touring. Perhaps I needed some clear road to use more revs and feel the weight transfer or perhaps it needed a mechanical refresh to sharpen it up but I found everything about it disappointingly soft: throttle response, steering, sound. Evo love it so I probably just needed to be able to give it its head.
Agree. That quote: "be careful about meeting your heroes" applies to the 73 RS for me. I drove one expecting to buy it and came away underwhelmed. It was a touring and completely restored. I still hold hope a more original and/or lightweight might change my mind if I can ever get behind the wheel of one.

The other air-cooled RSs that particularly appeal to me are the 964 3.6 and 3.8 if anyone has any thoughts.
My fave AC
Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
highly biased and feel
free to crucify

I have lots miles on 964rs and 993rs
great cars.

I driven. 73rs and ian other lesser long hoods

to me the long hoods when set up rights gets under my skin. the 964/993 doesnt

its a feel thing. I cannot describe. but here is how I measure how much I like a car. if u show me another longhood I immediately feel
the urge to buy it. if u show me a 964/993rs I don’t feel
thst urge.

doesnt mean thwy are less good but I just don’t have the urge. have one 964 one 993 is enough but having 10 longhoods is too few. since i
have that feeling then to me those drice better.

u really have to drive them
as all feel
all different. if u want speed get 991. sound and smell is a big deal for me. 991 sounds ok and smell plastic.

babbling...
its like dating
some
times ur friends wonder why i date a fugly witch when u can have snow white. but snow while jsut ain’t for u.

sorry extra type on phone. but this is an interesting discussion to me
LOVE long hoods. But unlike 964/993/996/997/991, the original RS doesn't do it for me. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd take one. But I like all the individual character of the different year/t/e/s early 911s as much as an RS. The RS feels more like one of the variants to me. So i can't justify the price. I think the 996/997 was where the most amount of differentiation was between a base 911 and an RS; not necessarily in performance; just how much different the feel was. 996/997 RS's were some rough, raw machines. The AC RS's were more about finesse. The 991rs is a hell of a road car and has functionality/usability like no RS that precedes it.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
The perfect car.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"... the 4 liter is car u have to experience...,."
you can talk sex all day, until you experience, you have no clue what it is..
" many talk about true love, but few ever experience or understand it..."
THAT is 4.0L
What does one experience when driving a cgt then?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

U experience almost considering selling your 4.0
Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 97 Posts

I drove the CGT (briefly), the RS 4.0 (briefly), and the 993 RS (extended) today.

RS 4.0 - as all above.
CGT - always a deliberate drive, the car suffers no fools. I hope that one day my driving skills will be enough to allow me to take this car close to its limits. A big plus - you do not need to be driving the car to enjoy it - the lines, that engine, the engine bay, the suspension and the drivetrain - you can see the focus and the intensity in the design and manufacture of the car.
993 RS - I was looking for an easy, fun drive, and on this drive the 993 RS wins hand down. Go-kart fun, and you easily use all 300 hp (PS) of the car. 964 RS would not have made a difference, IMHO, as the part of the magic of the 993 RS is accessibility. Very easy car to drive for a fun ride on the back roads.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by isv
What does one experience when driving a cgt then?
cgt has similar but more revered exp

4.0 is praying at home
cgt is praying at the temple with 1000’s of monks chanting and incense burning
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

What about a Singer? Is it the best of all worlds (apart from price)?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

cgt has similar but more revered exp

4.0 is praying at home
cgt is praying at the temple with 1000’s of monks chanting and incense burning
lol I like that one

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS 4.0 is and will be the queen ?