Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS 4.0 is and will be the queen ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
I currently own a 3.8 and a 4.0. I’ll try and summarize a few of the differences I notice while driving. Keep in mind I’m no race car driver, just a weekend warrior
The 4.0 seems more nimble, more willing to change direction at any time. The steering feels noticeably lighter along with the clutch pedal. The dampers actually feel more compliant or better suited for the road than my 3.8. The throttle is more of a factor in steering the car, for example when I come off the throttle the front end will immediately turn in more aggressively in the 4.0. And of course the added torque. You can give it throttle at any rpm in any gear and you feel noticeably more power. All of these things and more that I can’t think of, make the car exponentially better than the regular 3.8. When you have a car that is as incredible good as the 3.8 and you can make it even better in terms of power and handling while making it a little lighter with more downforce, it is an incredibly powerful result that can’t be judged only by the sum of the added parts. And then there’s the sound the car makes, it’s even sweeter than the music of the 3.8. It’s a hard one to explain but I even had a friend who owns a GT3 drive my 4.0 and he was amazed at how this engine sounds. I guess it all depends on what your budget is. If you can swing it, the 4.0 is a hands down winner. With that said, I still can’t let my 3.8 go because it is different and still so good in its own way.
very informative. Thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Why do you say it would be more expensive?

A good 3.8 is about 180-200k and the 4.1 from Sharkwerks is 60k. So you're at 240-260. A good 4.0 is over 400. What am I missing?
Because, when u buy a 4.0, it's worth roughly what u paid for it. U have a car that's fun and an asset value worth +/- what u paid. When you buy a perfectly functioning 3.8 and dump 60k into it, u r basically lighting that 60k on fire. The modded 3.8 might even be worth less than the unmolested 3.8 u started with. It's a lot more fun but we weren't arguing that, we were arguing what is more expensive.

There's up front capital and there's actual cost of the car. Yes a 4.0 is more out of pocket day-1 and more insurance. But a modded car almost always costs more because the mods, at best, don't destroy value (with a few exceptions). Hence my comment about buying a blown engine 3.8 at great price. THEN the 3.8 is a great candidate for the SW mod. Still gonna be more difficult to sell one day than an unmolested 4.0.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Great to get a comparison from someone who has both. I've not driven a 3.8. What are its unique characteristics that make you want to keep it?

Do you have / have you also had a 997 3.6 RS? I've had a drive of one on a good road but it's tyres were so old and slippery that its hard to make a comparison. The amount it would understeer and oversteer with the throttle on the dry road was great fun but very different to the way it would drive on fresh tyres. The 4.0's steering and gear shift is heavier and the increase in engine performance and quality and volume of sound is massive. The interior finishes give the 3.6 more of a track car ambiance, which is cool. The 4.0 still has some of that thanks to the cage and harnesses but feels a much more expensive exotic.
I have a 3.6 and 4.0. They have the most diversity of drive amongst the 997RS. They are similar feeing but considerably different at the same time. 3.6rs is one of my fav back road street cars of all time. To me, it's right on the edge of being too much car for the street. And suspension still crude enough to get loose easily on the street.

4.0 is 4.0. It's a 3.8 with every little detail amped up and more precise. If I wasn't fortunate enough to have a 3.6 and 4.0, the 3.8 alone is the hands down best buy in the ENTIRE 997 lineup imo. I'll admit I have the worst 997 GT's when factoring in car/$: the 3.6 frog and the 4.0. But I like what I like and so that's what i have. But if someone asks for advice when buying 1 fun all-around weekend toy, 997.2rs is my pick (even though, no, I don't own one).

For "drive to the track and back home fun", I'll point them to the 981 and 991 GT forums.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bweSteve
@ TurboFreeFlat6 - If you don't mind, Ques: What year & month was that article in the "911 & Porsche World" ?? ... I went looking but could not find.
Issue 209, August 2011.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Issue 209, August 2011.
Thank you! for remembering!!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I have a 3.6 and 4.0. They have the most diversity of drive amongst the 997RS. They are similar feeing but considerably different at the same time. 3.6rs is one of my fav back road street cars of all time. To me, it's right on the edge of being too much car for the street. And suspension still crude enough to get loose easily on the street.

4.0 is 4.0. It's a 3.8 with every little detail amped up and more precise. If I wasn't fortunate enough to have a 3.6 and 4.0, the 3.8 alone is the hands down best buy in the ENTIRE 997 lineup imo. I'll admit I have the worst 997 GT's when factoring in car/$: the 3.6 frog and the 4.0. But I like what I like and so that's what i have. But if someone asks for advice when buying 1 fun all-around weekend toy, 997.2rs is my pick (even though, no, I don't own one).

For "drive to the track and back home fun", I'll point them to the 981 and 991 GT forums.
A great combination to have: the looseness of the 3.6 and intensity of the 4.0.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you think are the greatest driver's cars and why? (It's not a challenge, I'm just interested like I was to hear comparisons with earlier RSs.)
I think the 6rs has better claim to be a greater driver's car than the 4.0. It's much more analogue, much 'purer' with less overall electronics and offers by far the closest experience in the road RS to the equivalent motorsport car of the time. That was the whole ethos of the gt3 initially after all. The 4.0 is much the better overall road car of course than the 6rs but in terms of being a better 'driver's car' imo it's not.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by isv

I think the 6rs has better claim to be a greater driver's car than the 4.0. It's much more analogue, much 'purer' with less overall electronics and offers by far the closest experience in the road RS to the equivalent motorsport car of the time. That was the whole ethos of the gt3 initially after all. The 4.0 is much the better overall road car of course than the 6rs but in terms of being a better 'driver's car' imo it's not.
I remember reading criticism that the 6RS had a lot of understeer and was so stiff it was sometimes bounced off line on the road to the point where you had to back off. Have you found those factors not to be an issue?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember reading criticism that the 6RS had a lot of understeer and was so stiff it was sometimes bounced off line on the road to the point where you had to back off. Have you found those factors not to be an issue?
Setup/ride height. The cars are adjustable after all and I believe a lot of that criticism stemmed from cars that were very track focused in setup. the 6 gt3s don't have the same ability to run track settings on the road easily - the 7s are better in that regard. Re understeer, actually no, if anything the 7.1 gt3 and rs iirc were much more criticised for understeer especially compared to the 6rs, to the point people had to put in the gt2 rear ARB as it was much firmer.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Great to get a comparison from someone who has both. I've not driven a 3.8. What are its unique characteristics that make you want to keep it?

Do you have / have you also had a 997 3.6 RS? I've had a drive of one on a good road but it's tyres were so old and slippery that its hard to make a comparison. The amount it would understeer and oversteer with the throttle on the dry road was great fun but very different to the way it would drive on fresh tyres. The 4.0's steering and gear shift is heavier and the increase in engine performance and quality and volume of sound is massive. The interior finishes give the 3.6 more of a track car ambiance, which is cool. The 4.0 still has some of that thanks to the cage and harnesses but feels a much more expensive exotic.
I owned a 997 RS 3.6 for five years, it’s a wonderful car that I thoroughly enjoyed. The biggest differences between it and the Gen 2 997’s we’re discussing are gear ratios, power and dampers. The combination of more torque and closer ratios in the 997.2 make a big difference in acceleration and seat of the pants feel. When I first bought my 3.8, cruising down the highway in 6th gear at 65 mph and the engine is reving 3,000 rpm! I thought this cannot be right? But it is and it makes a noticeable difference and goes to show you that this car is really designed for the track, not high speed bombing. After owning the two cars simultaneously for several months I decided I enjoyed the 3.8 experience more than the 3.6 but it was a tough choice as ALL of these 997 GT3 cars are so good. I think a big reason it was a hard one to give up is because I liked the look of the Gen 1 car so much.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by E-Man

I think a big reason it was a hard one to give up is because I liked the look of the Gen 1 car so much.
I love the shape, colours and graphics of the Gen 1 too, more so than the 3.8's.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:41 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Comments, anyone, on 4.0 vs R?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ u got to be kidding
I would not trade my 4.0 against three R's let alone one.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by isv

that I agree fully
someone said 6 pushes? it doesn't.
it is the friskiest of all GT3. light on its foot
beautifully balanced and sphincter tightening to drive.
I cut my teeth on that platform.
I am not sure I am still alive after 100k miles on that platform plenty occasions that I scared myself.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
^ u got to be kidding
I would not trade my 4.0 against three R's let alone one.
Apart from the EPAS I've only read positive comments. I wouldn't swap either but what don't you like?

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS 4.0 is and will be the queen ?