Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:37 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Name:  photo643.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  804.0 KB

Yesterday I took turns driving these. 997.2 RS ain't never leaving. 991.2 GT3 manual my compromise. Keep getting the itch for a 991 RS but don't want to get rid of my manual 1.2. It's a disease. They are actually quite different sides of the same coin as noted previously

I need help
Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Attachment 1303627
I need help
You do. I'm hear to help....I will take the 1.2 GT3 off your hands and will store it in one of those pod thingies. Is that Voodoo blue? Gorgeous!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Attachment 1303627

Yesterday I took turns driving these. 997.2 RS ain't never leaving. 991.2 GT3 manual my compromise. Keep getting the itch for a 991 RS but don't want to get rid of my manual 1.2. It's a disease. They are actually quite different sides of the same coin as noted previously

I need help
I know what a 991 GT3 PDK feels like and it's an amazing machine and at 6-9K rpms It's unlike any other car I have ever driven. The rest of the time the car feels not too dissimilar from a 991 GTS. What I want to know is does the 991.2 manual have that that same hair raising feel the 7.2RS gives? I guess you already answered that. Care to elaborate? I'm guessing the new motor is a gem but it's still the same size car. I have always felt the 991GT3 was meant to be a PDK car. Does it work well in a manual? Give me some feedback if you are so inclined!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 PM
tasman
Race Car

I had 991.1 GT3. PDK bored me unless really hammering it

4.0 engine is great and works well with manual imho. Does not have intensity and same feelings as 997 RS. Great car but they are really different

If I could only have one 997 would be it.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:22 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
You do. I'm hear to help....I will take the 1.2 GT3 off your hands and will store it in one of those pod thingies. Is that Voodoo blue? Gorgeous!
Generous of you.
Is arrow blue. I feel very fortunate to have both
Old 05-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

OP, first of all congratulations.
Now you know what you need to do...gotta buy another 997GT2 so you can get back in the 2&3 club.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

4.0 engine is great and works well with manual imho. Does not have intensity and same feelings as 997 RS. Great car but they are really different

Agreed and good to know, thanks. I’ll tell you what, I could have used that 991.2 manual on the way to Rennsport! There were days when the 7.2 especially on concrete roads was positively making my gal and I lose our minds. But through the mountains of CO All was forgotten.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:48 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
OP, first of all congratulations.
Now you know what you need to do...gotta buy another 997GT2 so you can get back in the 2&3 club.

Funny you should say Igooz. My old GT2 has been for sale at PNH for a while now and I was actually considering buying it back instead of going with a 3RS. Ultimately though I felt the RS was the way to go since I've never experienced one before. The GT2 and the 3RS are definitely unique in their own ways.

These cars are all so special.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:52 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Holy Crap. Note to self: Stay the hell away from JoeJenie! He is local to me (I live i Gilbert too), and meeting him would be like giving crack to a recovering addict! (please let me know when I can take you to lunch LOL!).

OP, congrats, very jealous. And Mr. Adair, I' feel your pain. A 7.2rs is my "bucket list/dream car" but I "legitimately" can't afford one because it would mean having to sell the manual Gallardo, the aircooled 911, the v8 swapped 944, or one of my other 6 cars LOL! I feel so deprived. First world problems for sure!!!!
Come on over! Crack is given out freely here. I'm about 4 miles south of you.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Hey tasman, I'm interested to hear more as well. The 1.2 Touring has intrigued me since it's release, and feel that possibly after a few more years when {possibly} some depreciation hits (maybe after 992 GT3 release w/ manual), that this could be another fun addition to my stable.

Wife & I are slow adopters as we really immerse ourselves in a car after buying,... so after enjoying our 964 Turbo for 15 yrs, last year we added our first water-cooled with a Aqua Blue 7.2 GT3 and are loving it. Now that I have some street/mountain time with that under my belt, I'm interested to hear specifically your impressions on the manual transmission differences. Gearing spreads, clutch actuation differences, etc.

Aside from the motor differences, How does your 997.2 GT3RS manual experience difference from your 1.2 GT3 Touring manual experience. As Michael said above,... does the shifting experience between the two raise the hairs on your arms in BOTH cars??
TIA,

Btw,... How is your Touring have the wing on the back? Correction: I now see that you never said it was a Touring. Or is your car a non-touring with a manual?
.... (I wonder how much driving difference there is between a regular GT3 Manual & a Touring in the 991's ??)

.... Either way, that Arrow Blue with PCCB's is an exceptional looking 991. Love that look. Would appreciate some interior pics too. I'm a wing guy,.. so IF I ever added a 991, would prefer a Winged GT3 Manual anyway.

=Steve
Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 148 Posts

Same here .... I'm considering getting a 991 RS and dropping a manual in it.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't really follow value threads, but I did find this link in the 991RS forum interesting .
https://**********/2019/05/05/pors9-m...te-april-2019/
Almost 3 times as many 991RS's for sale than 997.2's and 4 times as many than 997.1's. Obviously in part due to the numbers produced of each generation. But assuming the trend continues, the 991.1's (and I would guess the .2's to soon follow), will continue to fall.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey tasman, I'm interested to hear more as well. The 1.2 Touring has intrigued me since it's release, and feel that possibly after a few more years when {possibly} some depreciation hits (maybe after 992 GT3 release w/ manual), that this could be another fun addition to my stable.

Wife & I are slow adopters as we really immerse ourselves in a car after buying,... so after enjoying our 964 Turbo for 15 yrs, last year we added our first water-cooled with a Aqua Blue 7.2 GT3 and are loving it. Now that I have some street/mountain time with that under my belt, I'm interested to hear specifically your impressions on the manual transmission differences. Gearing spreads, clutch actuation differences, etc.

Aside from the motor differences, How does your 997.2 GT3RS manual experience difference from your 1.2 GT3 Touring manual experience. As Michael said above,... does the shifting experience between the two raise the hairs on your arms in BOTH cars??
TIA,

Btw,... How is your Touring have the wing on the back? Correction: I now see that you never said it was a Touring. Or is your car a non-touring with a manual?
.... (I wonder how much driving difference there is between a regular GT3 Manual & a Touring in the 991's ??)

.... Either way, that Arrow Blue with PCCB's is an exceptional looking 991. Love that look. Would appreciate some interior pics too. I'm a wing guy,.. so IF I ever added a 991, would prefer a Winged GT3 Manual anyway.

=Steve
Stock engine sound goes to 997. Mezger can't be beat. Have Sharkwerks bypass which i am installing soon. New 4.0 sounds good at top end of range but IMHO needs exhaust which I haven't done yet.

Transmission. Much notchier in 997. 991 very smooth. Clutch much much lighter in 991. I got in my 997 after driving the 991 and hadn't driven it in a while and thought holy crap this is much heavier. Never bugged me before and still doesn't but is much heavier. Don't really prefer one over the over just different.

Ride is calmer and smoother in 991 and more button downed and sticks better. 997 makes you work more and moves around on the road more which I like.

Modern conveniences go to new one if that makes a difference to you

As far as hairs standing up I find the 997 hits this more than the 991. Hard to put a finger on it but the mezger has more of a hard edged tone to it and 4.0 sounds smoother. Both of them scream at the top of the rev range.

Both are exceptional cars. Cant go wrong with either one. 991.2 is definitely faster and more clinical. 997 is edger and feels more fun at slower speeds (that is relative though). 997 will never leave and 991 likely will at some point.

I only have 2800 miles in 991 and no track and limited very extended twisty driving

997 I have put about 8000 miles on it in last 2 years including 2 road trips to the Smokies from Wisconsin to the Ga/tn/nc area. Not the best road trip car but my wife and I survived. LOL

my head likes the 991 my heart belongs to the 997.

Hope this is helpful. Just my two cents and ymmv.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

excellent summary, and just about exactly what I would have expected & hoped for. Damn it.

This is the reason I should NOT be asking these questions.

I think for many of us, who can / do / want to explore the fine details / differences in many of the 911 variants over the years,.. we get ourselves into trouble cuz we want so many of them.

I like your summary: "head likes the 991" ,.. "heart belongs to 997".

.... In my case, my heart belongs to our 964 Turbo (mostly because of our decades of family trips & adventures in it,.. and our mid-20's kids still love it too),.. but the adrenaline junkie in me now prefers the 997 GT3. There are also much bigger differences between those two in my case,... so maybe the fact that the 991 & 997 GT3's would be so much more similar that I don't need to take myself down that road.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up Tas!!
=Steve
Old 05-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Tremendous reply from tasman.

The head/heart thing is so very real. All of us can respect the engineering efforts that go into the 991 generation and beyond, but we can also all acknowledge that some things were lost and not likely to return as well. Once Porsche started to broaden the appeal of GT cars by offering them with 2 pedals, making them more livable, and yet still improving on their track performance, it changed a lot of things. None of us can deny that the newer generation of GT cars are ultimately friendlier and offer more actual performance.

HOWEVER, I don't own my Porsches because I want them to be 'friendlier'. I love mine because they are rare and offer a visceral driving experience. I want my cars to be dance partners that keep me on my toes and punish me (not severely) for making bad movements. I want to be reminded about why I fell in love with Porsche 911s in the first place. For these reasons, the 997 generation will remain timeless.

One reason that SCREAMS about my love for my GT3 RS in particular is that I absolutely love driving the car at any speed. I cannot make that statement about practically any other car I've ever owned, but the level of sensory stimulation that it provides is there all the time, and I cannot think of a more convincing compliment to give a true driver's car.

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 05-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 vs 991.1 GT3RS