Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 gt3 & RS suspension differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:49 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

I used to own a 997-2 GT3 for a year and a half and my 997-2 RS going on 3 years now. With regard to comfort, the RS is more comfortable, believe it or not. I was very surprised by that when I first compared them back to back, because I expected it to be the other way around. Maybe it's just the wider tire patch, but the difference is noticeable.

Overall contrasts between the two - obviously the engine on the RS is a little more powerful, it has a wider track and contact patch, better aero, etc. But the biggest distinction for me is gearing. The GT3's gears are just too tall to make it a truly special machine, although the one benefit is cruising in 6th at lower RPM. The RS gearing OTOH is just superb, feels like a race car and you never hunt for torque, it's always there. Just don't look at the MPG.

Finally, looking at PET can generally give you a good understanding, but there are some things that are omitted. The 4.0 for instance has suspension tweaks not listed in any parts diagrams I've seen...
Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^^ ilko is correct, the RS is a bit more forgiving gobbling road with bumps on it, it feels spongier.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

As Ilko said.

FYI my .2 rs is a pussycat (suspension) compared to my previous .1 gt3 non rs.

Still rough compared to a 991 car but just relative.

But if it's just suspension you are after slap some ohlins in.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 AM
yokevlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the feedback! i will be on the hunt for a .2 RS then!

on the subject of suspension, what do yall think about mcs? compared to say, ohlins, tractive?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:41 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman33
Yeah, and my point was that "it" (.i.e., simply LOCATING either of those cars, let alone finding examples available for test driving) is far easier said than done; which is why I posed the question to this forum in hopes of getting earnest responses from those who understand that limitation. I assumed that would have been obvious, but apparently you must have forgotten what an exclusive club you belong to...assuming you have a GTS/RS. Thanks to those of you who responded with some information.
I think you'd be surprised on a dealer giving you a spin. If you are an eventual legit buyer, I'm positive you can find one that will let you drive either example.

And i stand by what I said; your butt won't lie but other people's opinions may not translate to you personally once you turn the key. And I'm not giving you the advice to be a jerk. They aren't THAT rare of cars; 5min in a dealer's 3/3rs that you try to work a deal with is worth more than 2 dozen RL opinions. That's been my experience at least.

Additionally, there are probably a dozen threads already on the forum talking about 3/3rs differences. I assumed you wanted info above/beyond that.

.1-.1rs
Lwfw
Wider ***
Crazy cool colors
Different wing
Wider rear tires

.2-.2rs
LWFW
Shorter list of somewhat boring colors (3)
Different wing
Wider rear tires; can't remember fronts?
HP and torque bump
Shorter gearing
Slight interior differences like nylon door pulls

.1-.1rs much closer drive experiences absent the LWFW and the .1 is easy to fix that. People go Gaga over the .1rs colors/looks (me included).

.2 - .2rs is a bigger leap. 997.2rs is the closest experience out-of-the-box you can get to one of the greatest 911s ever made (997 4.0).

Happy hunting and don't make it a forgone conclusion someone on this forum or a dealer won't give you a ride. Hell, I'd at least let you ride shotgun in mine if we were close.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

If you are ever in Wisconsin in the non frozen time of the year you are welcome to drive my 11 RS. Never driven a GT3 of that ilk so can't offer comparison.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by yokevlee
on the subject of suspension, what do yall think about mcs? compared to say, ohlins, tractive?
All three brands of suspension dampers(shocks) you have mentioned are high quality and are reputable companies.
The first brand mentioned is more focused for hardcore track/race use. The second brand offers both a high-performance street/entry-level track product as well as a hardcore track/race product. The last brand mentioned is the only electronic and PASM-compatible of the three brands mentioned and versatile from street and full race.
In a year or two more brands will offer electronic shocks.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:47 PM
yokevlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
All three brands of suspension dampers(shocks) you have mentioned are high quality and are reputable companies.
The first brand mentioned is more focused for hardcore track/race use. The second brand offers both a high-performance street/entry-level track product as well as a hardcore track/race product. The last brand mentioned is the only electronic and PASM-compatible of the three brands mentioned and versatile from street and full race.
In a year or two more brands will offer electronic shocks.
Thanks! which will be better for a track environment but with uneven road surfaces? so driving at almost the limit, but having to deal with bumps and undulations, so it can't be something too stiff or won't have enough traction. ideally something supple, can soak up the bumps, but also composed and confident-inspiring.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks! which will be better for a track environment but with uneven road surfaces? so driving at almost the limit, but having to deal with bumps and undulations, so it can't be something too stiff or won't have enough traction. ideally something supple, can soak up the bumps, but also composed and confident-inspiring.
With tractive and DSC box you can create a custom 'normal' map and a 'sport' map to change on the fly to 'normal' for bumpy sections and 'sport' for smoother sections of a track. This is tom's realm but that's what I did and wired the PASM button to my steering wheel so I can change it on the fly. bit of a learning curve with the DSC Sport software but well worth it.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
With tractive and DSC box you can create a custom 'normal' map and a 'sport' map to change on the fly to 'normal' for bumpy sections and 'sport' for smoother sections of a track. This is tom's realm but that's what I did and wired the PASM button to my steering wheel so I can change it on the fly. bit of a learning curve with the DSC Sport software but well worth it.
Great idea adding the map switch on the steering wheel! That'd totally be a F1 thing if they un-banned active systems!
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Your can dial down the compression and rebound settings on most mechanical coilover for bumpy tracks. But the softer setting may not be what you want all the time or on some other sections of the road and the track. Having active electronically controlled suspension would be ideal because it can make adjustments within a fraction of a second for the conditions while you are driving. Such a system is very versatile for the usage you described. DSC Sport makes the active electronic suspension controller for factory GT3/RS PASM coilovers , Bilstein Damptronic coilovers, and Tractive coilovers. I think KW has their version of the electronic coilovers on the market already but they use a separate processor and smart phone app to adjust the settings in passive manner; using one hand on the phone to change settings while negotiable a corner...I bet DSC can integrate that system to the car's CAN bus and make that system active...I hear JRZ, AST, Moton, and Ohlins are working on electronic coilovers. Its the future.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Great idea adding the map switch on the steering wheel! That'd totally be a F1 thing if they un-banned active systems!
Yeah it works out well. Little boasting here:

Old 12-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Yeah it works out well. Little boasting here:

Well done Sir!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 01:13 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

nwGTS, beautiful work on that steering wheel. Very professional looking.

Quick Reply: 997.2 gt3 & RS suspension differences?