997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 gt3 & RS suspension differences?

Old 11-25-2018, 09:43 PM
yokevlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 gt3 & RS suspension differences?

Hi all, could someone please confirm if the 997.2 GT3 & 997.2 GT3 RS have the same or different suspension parts? mainly the springs, dampers, sway bars. thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Curious to know as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:15 AM
yokevlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far i've read that PASM has different calibrations, but haven't found any differences in hardware. any info from experts would be appreciated.
i'm considering switching from gt3 to RS, but don't want a harsher suspension as roads here are not smooth.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 511 Posts

Between the GT3 and the RS 3.8 (not 4.0) the PASM shocks, the springs, the sway bars, and the PASM controller all supersede to the same parts number in PET.
The RS 3.8 has different part # front lower control arms only because the arms are factory assembled with more shims.
The RS 3.8 does have split-type adjustable rear lower control arms. Whereas the GT3 has same one-piece non-adjustable rear lower control arms as a Carrera.

FRONT:

REAR:

Old 12-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry if this post is considered to be jacking the OP's thread - heck, I'm only a GT3-owner wannabe at this point to boot - but with respect to the difference between the GT3 and the GT3 RS 3.8, there sure seems to be a huge cost premium for the RS over the "base" GT3 relative to the actual differences, no? I suppose that indicates that the whole of the RS is greater than the sum of its parts, huh? Or maybe its simply the pride factor?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman33
Sorry if this post is considered to be jacking the OP's thread - heck, I'm only a GT3-owner wannabe at this point to boot - but with respect to the difference between the GT3 and the GT3 RS 3.8, there sure seems to be a huge cost premium for the RS over the "base" GT3 relative to the actual differences, no? I suppose that indicates that the whole of the RS is greater than the sum of its parts, huh? Or maybe its simply the pride factor?
Exclusivity and lower production numbers make the RS more desirable as a collectible. One could mechanically convert a GT3 to a RS but when it comes to resell it'd still be a GT3 with RS mods. Like I own a GT3 with 4.0 engine and lots of RS and Cup parts but its still a GT3 that worth a small fraction of a real 4.0.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Go drive 'em and report back
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Lwfw, more hp, shorter gearing, wider track, more aero along with the suspension stuff. Also, the base msrp difference wasn’t that much when they were still in production...about $18,000 i think
Old 12-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Go drive 'em and report back
Sure. Gotta be dozens of either in my neighborhood alone.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a fun place to live
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yokevlee
so far i've read that PASM has different calibrations, but haven't found any differences in hardware. any info from experts would be appreciated.
i'm considering switching from gt3 to RS, but don't want a harsher suspension as roads here are not smooth.
Tom’s being gracious here. TPC makes DSC suspension module which I installed literally last week. On preliminary drives, it definitely improves driveability of 997 RS suspension esp on sport suspension mode. I can drive around on crappy Vancouver roads even in sport mode now.

Good luck deliberating - you know you wanna...
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

My point is, more importantly than anyone's technical explanations on here, in the first 5 min, you'll either feel it or you won't.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
My point is, more importantly than anyone's technical explanations on here, in the first 5 min, you'll either feel it or you won't.
Yeah, and my point was that "it" (.i.e., simply LOCATING either of those cars, let alone finding examples available for test driving) is far easier said than done; which is why I posed the question to this forum in hopes of getting earnest responses from those who understand that limitation. I assumed that would have been obvious, but apparently you must have forgotten what an exclusive club you belong to...assuming you have a GTS/RS. Thanks to those of you who responded with some information.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:35 AM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Think Integra GSR versus Type R. Completely different animals in the same skin.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:47 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO- They are both the same In regards to comfort. Most people will not feel a difference in the two cars unless they are pure driving enthusiast and can pick up the very slight variations with turn in and rear wheel stability (wider track / aero) in aggressive type driving, RS has slight clutch chatter but really doesn’t affect comfort. RS has smaller gears and that doesn’t affect comfort either.

In conclusion, RS is no more or less comfortable and of course this only applies if set up on both cars are the same utilizing same seats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 gt3 & RS suspension differences?