Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Final consensus on 4.0 LWFW on 997.2 GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:55 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Final consensus on 4.0 LWFW on 997.2 GT3 ?

Hello,

My 2010 GT3 needs a clutch and/or clutch part. Won't know until it's open. Pedal is getting stiffer, creaky, and shifting is less precise than it used to.

Spent a few hours yesterday reading threads on the 4.0 RS clutch upgrade for 997.2 GT3's. My understanding so far:

3.6 of all generations don't seem to have problem with vibrational issues
997.2 3.8 GT3 RS has issues out of the box, including pressure plate and clutches and bearings, possibly due to lightweight flywheel causing vibrations. Issues exacerbated with 4.0 clutch/flywheel upgrade.
997.2 3.8 GT3 has no (or very few) issues out of box due to dual mass flywheel. Has issues with 4.0 clutch/flywheel upgrade by itself.

So .. having said all that -- is there any conclusive data or even any anecdotes that the Dundon damper will solve the issues with upgrading to an 4.0 clutch setup? Or is it all just precautionary/speculative at this point still? Is it still a risk to go lightweight?

I was unable to find any threads post-2017 regarding this matter.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:15 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I’ve researched this to death. The main theory is harmonics loosening the actuator bolts which causes engine damage. So you have 2 options IF you decide to do the lwfw.

1) Get the Dundon Dampener to deal with the engine harmonics. It’s not 100% proven it works but it seems to be the fix. And my RS does have the dampener. It doesn’t not affect the lwfw driving dynamic at all.

2) Get the latest Porsche actuators (they have revised these parts 3 times) and install: I believe they are $4800 ish parts alone.

Of course the 3rd option is just to install a 4.0 clutch and keep the dual mass flywheel.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I’ve researched this to death. The main theory is harmonics loosening the actuator bolts which causes engine damage. So you have 2 options IF you decide to do the lwfw.

1) Get the Dundon Dampener to deal with the engine harmonics. It’s not 100% proven it works but it seems to be the fix. And my RS does have the dampener. It doesn’t not affect the lwfw driving dynamic at all.

2) Get the latest Porsche actuators (they have revised these parts 3 times) and install: I believe they are $4800 ish parts alone.

Of course the 3rd option is just to install a 4.0 clutch and keep the dual mass flywheel.
Sorry to hijack! Is there any consensus as to when the stock actuators start to fail? Mileage? Warning of any kind? Thank you.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:14 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Sorry to hijack! Is there any consensus as to when the stock actuators start to fail? Mileage? Warning of any kind? Thank you.
There is no 100% consistent trend with these failures. The only "trend" that seems to be apparent is the 4-6 passenger side actuator failing the most often. And its basically the same kind of answer with the coolant failures. Could be at 2k miles on a street car, could be at 50k miles on a hard DE driven car. But obviously the failures are not at the same frequency as the coolant failures.

The only warnings I have heard of came from Alex when I spoke to him. Its described as a cat scratching at a door type of sound. What is actually happening is the loosed bolt is scratching at the cam actuator cover.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Option 4. TPC or BBI can help you "build" your OEM cam actuators.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:22 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
Option 4. TPC or BBI can help you "build" your OEM cam actuators.
Yea, you’re definitely right. That’s an option.

Using loctite and retorque or tapping in a larger diameter screw and retorque should remedy the problem.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

OK. Good to know. I'm talking to BBI now about just doing it all since I'm doing coolant tubes as well. Screw it, might as well fix literally everything in one go.

Quick Reply: Final consensus on 4.0 LWFW on 997.2 GT3 ?