997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coolant Hose Connection Failures And The Possibility Of A Class Action Suit

Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 PM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Hose Connection Failures And The Possibility Of A Class Action Suit

Can someone please enlighten this newbie as to whether or not a first-rate class action law firm or attorney in said field, has ever weighed in on the matter of the failing coolant hose connections which have already impacted a considerable number of Porsche GT cars to date?...and that it is likely just a matter of time before those very same connections will fail on all remaining GT vehicles as well, for whatever production years that have been impacted...I have done a "search" seeking a clear answer but threads pertaining to this issue tend to be exhaustingly long, prompting me to eventually give up after wading through 25+ pages of the threads I have perused, without getting a definitive answer.

Given the high number of coolant pipe failures primarily on tracks but in a number of instances on streets as well, with the former situations sometimes resulting in serious multi-car track accidents and at some point possibly even one or more deaths, why are Porsche owners having to foot the $3000+ expense to correct what is obviously a PORSCHE MANUFACTURING DEFECT that said company continues to refuse to take any responsibility whatsoever to correct, let alone even acknowledge?!...yes, I have read that Porsche continues to deny that there is a problem of any kind with their coolant hose connections [just as Ford denied they had a serious defective ignition issue with many of their vehicles a few years ago] despite the facts that clearly prove otherwise...and whatever the federal agency that monitors these kind of situations has closed their "file" on the matter, in great part because so few cases were ever reported to them...accordingly, I am inclined to think that such a widespread [relatively speaking] and potentially serious matter such as this, if taken on by a capable class-action law firm, could very well compel Porsche to properly address this inherent problem once and for all and at the Company's expense...with the many owners that have already paid the relatively significant cost to rectify this manufacturing defect, getting a full refund as well.

I for one would happily contribute to a collective legal fund to start the ball rolling, assuming much of one is even necessary to initiate a class action matter...if not mistaken, I believe that those who might consider doing the same, could possibly even expect a reimbursement assuming we prevail...even if I am wrong, should enough people be willing to participate in this action, an individuals $ loss would be relatively insignificant...after all, look at what we all drive.

Going on the assumption that there has been no truly concerted effort to compel Porsche to address this coolant connection failure properly in the past, and because undoubtedly there are plenty of attorney's who drive Porsche's that are active on Rennlist or at least read the forum threads from time, I would think/hope that at least one with some level of class action experience, might chime in and let us know what the odds of our prevailing in a class action might be should we decide to pursue one?

Last edited by BDCGT3; 11-08-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Heading Error
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Easier to get fixed and have fun driving. Life is short. Just my view on it..
Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Ditto...got better things to do, like drive!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:51 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

I'd welcome any efforts to set up a recall on the issue-what would the factory's solution be?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Evolved Rs
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Their solution was a "different" glue for the 997.2 gt cars .
Old 11-09-2018, 03:54 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I recall is probably what porsche should do.

I have a 13 Nissan pathfinder, had 2 recalls already. One is a faulty contact point in the tail light and one in the seat belt. No known failures yet but they replaced and repaired it.

This is something porsche is sweeping under the rug in the hopes that less and less cars would need repairs.

I am in if someone wants just to inform porsche that this needs to be addressed. Wont go to class action yet.

We deserve better from porsche.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 PM
smq42
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So, is there anyone on this thread / forum who has legal experience and time to take on this project?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:41 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Default Need to get names.

Lets start a list who wants to be included in a group letter to be sent to porsche north america. The only people who can sign are those with current cars. When we get the list, then we can collect names and VIN to be sent to porsche.

Who is in?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:10 AM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

are we posting names/vin here?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This isn't just a 997 GT3 issue. It's been happening since the 996 GT3, and happens on turbo models as well, not just GT models.

A class action and NHTSA report isn't discussed here in the 997 GT3 forum because the 996 and 997 GT3 and Turbo guys have already been through this in another section of the forum. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...res-nhtsa.html

There's already been a NHTSA investigation on the issue that, taken verbatim from this NHTSA Report (PE13-009 for your reference): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/201...13009-5428.PDF

A safety-related defect has not been identified at this time and further use of agency resources does not appear to bewarranted. Accordingly, this investigation is closed.

Porsche acknowledged that there was an issue, and implemented a fix on 997.2 cars. Like Evolved Rs said, it was to "change the adhesive" used. It didn't do anything, and I wouldn't hold you breath that Porsche will do anything now for cars approaching 11+ years of age (for 997.1 GT3s, even older for 996 GT3s) that are typically on their third or fourth owner. They have enough problems with newer cars such as 991s having 100,000 mile warranties due to spontaneous combustion.

Just be proactively responsible and get it fixed. Truth of the matter is that even though used cars are cheaper to purchase, they typically don't become any cheaper to continuously maintain. It's just a cost of ownership, and shouldn't have been a surprise to any potential shoppers to budget in, since it is a very well documented and often discussed issue. The nice thing is, it's not a recurring maintenance issue. You get it pinned or welded and don't think about it ever again. Here's a DIY, do it for "free.99."

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...n-the-car.html
Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Here we go again....

Old 11-10-2018, 08:30 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Henley1
are we posting names/vin here?
No we are not. After we get the head count, then we can formalize the name and vin behind the scene.

I think you cannot add your name unless you have proof of current ownership.

Its not for everyone but what do you have to loose.
Lets limit it for now for 997 GT cars and 997.1 turbos.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 AM
smq42
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

No we are not. After we get the head count, then we can formalize the name and vin behind the scene.

I think you cannot add your name unless you have proof of current ownership.

Its not for everyone but what do you have to loose.
Lets limit it for now for 997 GT cars and 997.1 turbos.

Happy to be a part of this effort.

I have recently acquired a 997.1 GT3 that has not been pinned / welded. Planning on getting this done shortly at my expense.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:51 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Yikes. Simply put this won't work. Here we go again is right. IMO RL is not the place for discussing class action lawsuits. Please take this complaint to NHTSB, DOT, PCNA if you have the time to spare and then report back. Thanks. JBO
Old 11-10-2018, 12:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,717 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Josh said it right.

Why post here unless you want some polarized sunglasses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Hose Connection Failures And The Possibility Of A Class Action Suit