Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018 | 03:31 AM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Default 997 GT2 Control arms

I have a 2009 ,997 Gt2 at 50k KM which is now laggy and not holding lines under hard turns and making creaky suspension noises. I am told it could be the control arms bushes and or Lower arm central/end bushes that are worn out.

Be a great help if anyone has some experience in what is/are the causes. Would appreciate also comments on experience with aftermarket arms like from Elephant Racing , Design 911 etc and if the front and rear arms are one and the same when ordering replacements. I am looking to replace as close to stock as possible.

thanks in advance for your comments.

Kheong
Old 08-23-2018 | 12:59 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Where are you located?
Old 08-23-2018 | 09:17 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leongpengkheong
I have a 2009 ,997 Gt2 at 50k KM which is now laggy and not holding lines under hard turns and making creaky suspension noises. I am told it could be the control arms bushes and or Lower arm central/end bushes that are worn out.

Be a great help if anyone has some experience in what is/are the causes. Would appreciate also comments on experience with aftermarket arms like from Elephant Racing , Design 911 etc and if the front and rear arms are one and the same when ordering replacements. I am looking to replace as close to stock as possible.

thanks in advance for your comments.

Kheong
I'd stay away from the aftermarket parts. A lot of if is borderline junk and most comes with compromises. For long term resale and originality on a relatively rare car like a 7GT2, I'd use OEM parts. If your car is a street car I'd replace with OEM 997GT2 parts and if it's a track car I'd replace with OEM Porsche Motorsport 997 parts like this.

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-24-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2018 | 12:46 AM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Default 997 GT2 Control Arms

Powdrhound - thanks, great comment on keeping it original. Its a street car that gets some hard drives in the hills weekends and no track days so wont be RSR ing the car anytime soon, but very nice pics of your RSR conversion, industrial art! Porsche don't pump out just the replacement bushes , only complete new arms, so thats it for trying to save some dineros I guess !

Old 08-24-2018 | 12:47 AM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Default 997 GT2 Control Arms

Johnny DB - I am in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Old 08-24-2018 | 12:53 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

nothing wrong with rebushing the LCA's if the outer balljoints are still good, can do a monoball insert for inner joint and solid fixed or adjustable thrust-LCA bushings as an upgrade
Old 08-24-2018 | 01:17 AM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Rennlist is a good place indeed ! You did a fixed monoball insert and adjustable central bushing replacement for your LCA? How was the ride after ? Thnx 993GT
Old 08-24-2018 | 03:08 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Powdrhound - thanks, great comment on keeping it original. Its a street car that gets some hard drives in the hills weekends and no track days so wont be RSR ing the car anytime soon, but very nice pics of your RSR conversion, industrial art! Porsche don't pump out just the replacement bushes , only complete new arms, so thats it for trying to save some dineros I guess !
You’re welcome. Yeah, for originality I’d bite the bullet and just get OEM replacements. Years ago I tried the monoball inserts that you can buy from several vendors and they worked ok for a year or two and then developed play. Granted this was under hard track use but the problem is the fact that these inserts are generally of poor quality oftentimes made by FK Aurora and other low end bearing suppliers. For street use they may hold up ok but there is really no reason to monoball for street use especially on a car like a 7GT2. If you use the car in a rainy humid climate the exposed aftermarket monoballs will take a beating. That was my experience, others may naturally beg to differ. Porsche uses German monoballs and rod ends made by Hirschman and the quality is top notch. You simply won’t find that in the aftermarket. The solid aluminum aftermarket thrust arm bushings are a worthwhile upgrade and have no moving parts so there is nothing to wear out. There is really zero downside to those and can be purchased from several vendors for a few hundred dollars. Good luck..

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-24-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2018 | 11:01 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

you will get a bit of added NVH but the handling/response/tire wear characteristics are very much worth while, ride is really not effected negatively, the suspension is now able to freely float to follow the road surface vs a rubber bushing carrying tension, but have less NVH dampening ... the biggest issue with solid jointing the cars is that tire balancing is more sensitive compared to rubber suspension joints
I have ~70k km's on monoball/solid

Rennlist is a good place indeed ! You did a fixed monoball insert and adjustable central bushing replacement for your LCA? How was the ride after ? Thnx 993GT
Old 08-25-2018 | 11:49 AM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Pwdrhound , 993GT - both your comments and pwdrhound's other posts are stirring up some intrigue ! The car is not a daily driver so there is the thought ,yeah maybe stiffen up just for the experience. Like you say there is not much sanity to Motorsports. Meeting up with a Porsche Carerra Cup Asia race mechanic next week to get some more input before making a move . Meantime its two weekends in a row the car is not being driven and getting some polishing and waxing instead!
Old 08-25-2018 | 06:38 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I completely agree with Powderhound. If you need to replace parts, use OEM or step up and get the motorsports. The only exception are the shocks and springs.

Ray
Old 08-25-2018 | 11:33 PM
leongpengkheong
Intermediate

Rbahr - thnx, yes definitely convinced already to go OEM after all your learned comments. Our B roads here are not the smoothest so better spend some time to check if motorsports option works.
Old 08-26-2018 | 05:49 AM
VPD255M
Track Day

Powderhound - do you have the part number for the control arm complete and also the inner bushing on its own please? (I'm currently doing the same upgrade on my 997.1 GT3 and Motorsport have no stock of the inner bearing, looks as though I have a different part number but can't quite see clearly on your photo).
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2018 | 09:11 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Let me know if you need more part numbers. BTW - this is important: Part #16 comes in 2 varieties - a longer one which is ~15mm longer than the standard OEM part. This was used for the RSRs with a wider track

Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 08-26-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2018 | 09:38 AM
VPD255M
Track Day

Thanks rbahr, that's v useful, could you also post the same for the front suspension components pls?

The numbers on the PET for the rear are what I have, but the number on the control arm in powdrhound's photo is different (997 341 341 90) for the arm and the number on the inner bearing I can't quite read, but again looks to be different.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Control arms