GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ that was all for john k!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:22 AM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

besides what was already mentioned I always bring along the following on long road trips:
(1). a few windshield chip repair kits.
(2). highway flares.
(3). emergency coolant hose repair kit.
(4). spare accessory belt (the old one from when I last changed it).
(5). a space saver spare and jack.
(6). a lot of bottled water.
(7). OBD scan tool (Durametric).
On every long road trip we've been on, someone in our group has had a blow out that had no hope of being repaired with goo or a plug. I'd much rather carry around a spare and never need it vs. wasting an entire day on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere waiting for a flatbed like some our friends have had to do. At least I can toss on the spare, get to cel service, and start searching for a replacement tire.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:29 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are not bringing a passenger on the drive it may make sense to put a front wheel / tire and any wheel spacers you might need to run your spare in front or back in a wheel carrier protector wrap it in a garbage bag to protect your interior and belt it into your passenger seat. You can leave plugs and slime at home. Leave the wheel in your hotel room at Rennsport in case you get a flat on any day drives or the trip to the event / home. The other thing I'd do is test your jack before you leave. The jacks I carried in 2400 lb cars don't work on my 3300 lb cars. As long as it fits under the front and back of your car and you genuinely can get the car off the ground you're good. I also really dig the roof rack wheel carrier setup that nwGTS runs if you do have a passenger and or rear cage. You can haul a lot of stuff and still do it in comfort with a passenger with that setup. Rennsport should be worry free and a blast this year. Enjoy! JBO PS the other reason to carry a full size spare is no space saver I know of is a CL, will clear your rotors and is the proper offset to clear your calipers. I'm sure there is one but I don't know about it.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Headed to Africa... brb

Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I also really dig the roof rack wheel carrier setup that nwGTS runs if you do have a passenger and or rear cage. You can haul a lot of stuff and still do it in comfort with a passenger with that setup. Rennsport should be worry free and a blast this year. Enjoy! JBO
Assume OP is taking the .2 3RS?
The roof strips in the .2 3 and 3RS didn't have the flip open holes for the roof rack to mount to.
BUT
it is said they are actually still there. underneath the strips.
So you can fit Carrera or .1 3 roof strips with the flip open holes to get your own 911 saddle
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3588013

I'll also be at RSVI this year

Last edited by nwGTS; 05-14-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Love it. That's the DOPE setup!! JBO
Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Assume OP is taking the .2 3RS?
The roof strips in the .2 3 and 3RS didn't have the flip open holes for the roof rack to mount to.
BUT
it is said they are actually still there. underneath the strips.
So you can fit Carrera or .1 3 roof strips with the flip open holes to get your own 911 saddle
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3588013

I'll also be at RSVI this year
Good gravy you are one well prepared Porsche owner! I think I am going to pass on the Dakar set up! Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Mj
Old 05-16-2018, 01:49 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Dakar setup LOL! Well played Mr. Adair. Got me laughing this morning and this hasn't been a funny kid of day. Safe travels! Have fun!! Best Josh
Old 05-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Might I add one ratively new thing:
Lithium ion battery jump pack, just in case you leave your lights on or something

Also the carry enough juice to power your USB electronics.

And they are now super small.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Very good call but mentioned earlier.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Very good call but mentioned earlier.
Ok then also:
A set of harbor freight plastic panel pullers - you don't want to damage your manicured nails or panel tabs hahhaa
1 of each size fuse, for spares (really don't need more than the 20a) if anything larger blows I would probably just tow it
Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Gptoyz
Ok then also:
A set of harbor freight plastic panel pullers - you don't want to damage your manicured nails or panel tabs hahhaa
1 of each size fuse, for spares (really don't need more than the 20a) if anything larger blows I would probably just tow it
Good call on the fuses and I just received my Antigravity Batteries XP-3 in the mail. Damn these things are cool!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 PM
rey
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread is very timely as we are planning on taking our old girl from Boston down to Asheville, NC next weekend to join up with another 100 Pcars. Been doing this drive for 15 years. Can't tell you how many times we or other cars have needed help on the road. We try to run in groups too which really can help. This year it's just us on the way down. Decided AAA was a good add. Last year we were running down with some friends from Montreal and his water pump went. Thankfully we were with 100 miles of Porsche of Hickory. This was on Memorial Day. His AAA service came through. I've had to have Tire Rack ship tires to Porsche Asheville twice.

Most of the basic road trip stuff has been covered in this thread. A cooler that fits into the frunk is nice. There's also a thread on road tripping over in Off Topic with some good info too.

Safe travels!!

-Rey
Old 05-19-2018, 06:07 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

I bought my car at Porsche North Houston, and drove to New Orleans to sleep, then straight non-stop till I got home except for gas and a dinner stop(kind of like a lunatic now that I think about it)
I did get Eagle One spray wax and micro fiber somewhere in Texas and sprayed the nose even though it had Xpel. Your car might end up with a "beard" from mosquitoes and bugs-
I depended on existing onboard air pump and the goop in case I had a flat. At a gas station I noticed a piece of metal in the back tire, but I pulled it out and there was no puncture.

The worst thing that happened is I depended on gas stations being open late, and around Gainesville I came close to getting in trouble, many gas stations just shut down at night. Not sure a gas can in the trunk is safe, but keep that in mind. I almost couldn't fill up but thankfully found a station after I hit E flat after the light had already been on for some time

I now have a plug kit just in case, and those fix a flat cans can always be found at gas stations and 7 elevens etc.
I'd bring torque wrench in case you need to remove a wheel, and the new lithium jump started is a good idea in case of battery failure-
Portable tools like small socket kit and the ratchet open wrenches also a good idea, screw drivers, etc

Have fun
Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
- Tire plug kit
- Purchase a set of tires, leave back at home, someone w/ access just in case you need them shipped out. a ) if set of wheels, have those handy too)
- Your own tools in the trunk
- Emergency light / kit
- jumper cables
- Amex Plat. road side support or equivalent.
- Battery charger for phone / computer in a car.
- Enough space in your phone or camera memory card to take loads of pictures.
is that a perk? awesome if so - did not know

also, I'd add in a bottle of your favorite booze....just in case

Quick Reply: Road trip tool kit/advice