Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Road trip tool kit/advice (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1067919-road-trip-tool-kit-advice.html)

Mr. Adair 05-09-2018 10:44 PM

Road trip tool kit/advice

Gent's,

Going to drive the RS to Rennsport from Mpls. Aside from the stock tool kit I'd like some suggestions to have on board tool wise. I have the extra oil, mini jumpstart pack etc. but I'm sure I am missing something at the moment. I'd take some suggestions if anybody has them...

ilko 05-09-2018 11:08 PM

Yeah, you're missing a few items, most importantly the tools to service your center locks. I carry a breaker bar, a 4:1 torque multiplier, and a 150 lb/ft torque wrench along with grease and the dildo to remove and install a wheel properly. Oh, a brake depressor and a jack from an older 911 (993 C4S/Turbo in my case) too. They all fit nicely in the frunk. If you get a flat that can't be repaired on the side of the road you don't want the local wrench to bust out their plumbing gear when trying to remove your wheel...

And speaking of flat tires, I always carry a plug kit from Slime and have used it several times. Not on this 997, but when I lived in the North East I'd get a flat at least once a year.

The stock tool kit is a joke these days. So I have some basic metric tools in the frunk - sockets, hex, and torx in case I need to repair something on the fly. And a set of fuses and electrical tape.

See you at Rennsport!

Hula 05-09-2018 11:08 PM

Maybe some fresh slime. The stock sealant is probably expired.

F1CrazyDriver 05-09-2018 11:17 PM

- Tire plug kit
- Purchase a set of tires, leave back at home, someone w/ access just in case you need them shipped out. a ) if set of wheels, have those handy too)
- Your own tools in the trunk
- Emergency light / kit
- jumper cables
- Amex Plat. road side support or equivalent.
- Battery charger for phone / computer in a car.
- Enough space in your phone or camera memory card to take loads of pictures.

Mr. Adair 05-10-2018 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 14999077)
Yeah, you're missing a few items, most importantly the tools to service your center locks. I carry a breaker bar, a 4:1 torque multiplier, and a 150 lb/ft torque wrench along with grease and the dildo to remove and install a wheel properly. Oh, a brake depressor and a jack from an older 911 (993 C4S/Turbo in my case) too. They all fit nicely in the frunk. If you get a flat that can't be repaired on the side of the road you don't want the local wrench to bust out their plumbing gear when trying to remove your wheel...

And speaking of flat tires, I always carry a plug kit from Slime and have used it several times. Not on this 997, but when I lived in the North East I'd get a flat at least once a year.

The stock tool kit is a joke these days. So I have some basic metric tools in the frunk - sockets, hex, and torx in case I need to repair something on the fly. And a set of fuses and electrical tape.

See you at Rennsport!

Thanks Gents...

Got most of the tool stuff covered with personal tool kit etc. but I've been avoiding the wheel removal stuff for awhile now. Time to get it handled. Patch kit also great suggestion. I'll reach out if I have any more questions.

Thank you again...

Spyerx 05-10-2018 02:50 AM

Aaa card

Hoyt 05-10-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 14999077)

See you at Rennsport!

Question for you.... what brand of torque multiplier are you using?

gt2-josh 05-10-2018 01:26 PM

This is super lame but... a good microfiber cloth and quick shine fluid to remove bug splatter bird poop tree sap etc asap that you don't expect to encounter. Unless you have a full vinyl wrap. JBO PS the platinum AAA card and lots of cash are key if you break down and want a flat bed ride to a shop far from your location. Otherwise it can get crazy expensive.

OpieT 05-10-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by gt2-josh (Post 15000165)
This is super lame but... a good microfiber cloth and quick shine fluid to remove bug splatter bird poop tree sap etc asap that you don't expect to encounter. Unless you have a full vinyl wrap. JBO PS the platinum AAA card and lots of cash are key if you break down and want a flat bed ride to a shop far from your location. Otherwise it can get crazy expensive.

+1

Mr. Adair 05-10-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by gt2-josh (Post 15000165)

Not lame! Used to be an AAA guy. Is it in fact a good service still?

gt2-josh 05-10-2018 10:10 PM

I'd say it's good for two things. First the ability to avoid the DMV for certain transactions. Most important a high level membership gets you a "tow" up to 150 miles from where you're picked up. Tip the driver a few $$$ and that means you can go very far for very little. One use and it pays for itself. JBO PS by tow I mean flatbed. You may just have to wait a bit longer.

Mr. Adair 05-11-2018 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by gt2-josh (Post 15001322)
I'd say it's good for two things. First the ability to avoid the DMV for certain transactions. Most important a high level membership gets you a "tow" up to 150 miles from where you're picked up. Tip the driver a few $$$ and that means you can go very far for very little. One use and it pays for itself. JBO PS by tow I mean flatbed. You may just have to wait a bit longer.

Yea, I remember being able to circumvent the DMV when I had it. I'll hop over to the site as see what's up. That tow policy is worth it weight in gold...

mooty 05-11-2018 02:34 AM

i am with spyerX
i only carry AAA
evne dirivng 40+ year old cars

tasman 05-11-2018 08:35 AM

Pretty well covered by everyone else. Have fun and kudos to you for driving the car if I had the time off I'd caravan there with you from Wisconsin.

Spyerx 05-11-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 15001742)
i am with spyerX
i only carry AAA
evne dirivng 40+ year old cars

and enough detail spray and rags for ALL the cars at luft! Lol