Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 gt3 4.0 rear suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:44 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Still want to know why nobody knows or can't tell us what the 4.0 suspension set up (parts/setup) is turn key.
exactly this. The declared changes are the 4.0 is partially rose jointed at the rear and has helper springs with slightly revised damper rates (although said helper spring per the picture earlier looks completely compressed even while jacked up so I'm not at all sure what it is doing). Both taken from the gt2rs but slightly adjusted for the lighter NA car. The 7rs - all of them, are quite sensitive to setup i have been told, perhaps some of these differences are due to that which people are finding between the 4.0 and earlier cars rather than actual mechanical changes to the 4.0. I'm sure small changes do as a whole add up but if the 4.0 is as vastly different as being claimed, even someone cranky and slow like me driving way below the limit should be very aware of how great the differences are.

cars like the 4.0 get a certain halo attributed to them then it's nearly impossible to find objective claims about how different or otherwise they are to very closely related cars. From reading this thread, the impression one gets from some is that the 3.8rs is worse than useless at or even way before the limit....
Old 05-06-2018, 09:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 616 Posts

RS 3.8 is great. RS 4.0 is, to me, noticeably better.

All GT3s on the way up to these cars were very sensitive on alignment. You could feel it when a 996 GT3 was off, and pretty easily. Both the RS 3.8 and RS 4.0 I gathered impressions from were set up correctly by a tech who knew what he was doing. The changes to the 4.0 may seem (and be) small, but suspension is an area where small tweaks can make a real difference and one not always measurable.

Of course, YMMV, but I stand behind my words: The RS 4.0's chassis was something very special, a sort of 987 Boxster Spyder of GT3s. The suggestion that the RS 3.8 was rubbish, however, is laughable.

Point about how few 4.0s are driven stings me every time I think about it—but doesn't reduce or remove the car's handling brilliance.

Good point about helper springs. Add those to the drop links, PASM control box, and maybe the dampers (though I am not sure?). I remember Alex at Sharkwerks looked into installing the 4.0 items in an older GT3 (maybe even a .1) and the parts were available. May be worth reaching out. Suspect any savvy parts tech can discover the "secret" sauce via the part numbers...
Old 05-06-2018, 10:46 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^
I already ordered parts from gt2rs/4.0 Main springs are at TPC Racing. Tom is doing a spring rate test to find out the rate.
I never said it 3.8 RS is rubbish - some members here came to that conclusion themselves after i said the 4.0.:

" drives leaps better then .1,RS and .2,RS and .2 GT2
Looking at the picture above i'm assuming the GT2RS drives equally as great. When i say drives, I'm referring to Damping: Bump /rebound/spring rate combo. " (sensitive bunch, shaking my head)

I'll be installing the rear suspension of gt2rs/4.0 next Saturday on my lift i'm excited.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:39 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 668 Likes on 312 Posts

Between Alex and Tom this seems to be something right up their alley. I'm interested in how this project turns out. Unless the suspension architecture is different from the 3.8 this should be doable. If the chassis and attachment points are the same then it should be able to be duplicated right? What I can't wait to hear is that once everything is matched up and the setup is exactly the same as a 4.0 someone will say it still doesn't drive like a 4.0 because it's missing the secret sauce
Old 05-07-2018, 01:12 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Tom is helping me on this project. Alex is to late to the party. Yes i'm surprised no one else has tried this. I'm surprised i have not tried this 6 years back !

Anyhow everyone per PET

Below are the other items that separates the others 2/3s vs. 2rs/4.

- wheel carrier
- track rod
- rear control arm (wish bone)
- cross member (gt2 rs only)

+

Then the 4.0 and 2rs :Hence i wanted to see the rear springs guys - thanks to jcastle again i can conclude same rear setup.Highlighted is difference between 2rs and 4.0. Shock and springs, only.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 668 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Tom is helping me on this project. Alex is to late to the party. Yes i'm surprised no one else has tried this. I'm surprised i have not tried this 6 years back !

Anyhow everyone per PET

Below are the other items that separates the others 2/3s vs. 2rs/4.

- wheel carrier
- track rod
- rear control arm (wish bone)
- cross member (gt2 rs only)

+

Then the 4.0 and 2rs :Hence i wanted to see the rear springs guys - thanks to jcastle again i can conclude same rear setup.Highlighted is difference between 2rs and 4.0. Shock and springs, only.
This is good work. Nothing different in the front at all? Strut? Curious to know the spring rates difference and if there is anything different about the strut?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:55 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
This is good work. Nothing different in the front at all? Strut? Curious to know the spring rates difference and if there is anything different about the strut?
Right now my focus is on the rear of the car. I will migrate to the front at a later time and analyze. Tom @TPC has the gt2rs springs - hoping to find out the spring rate any minute now. I asked him to share with the community.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 535 Posts
Default GT2RS rear spring rate

The GT2RS springs and spring rate results belong to F1CrazyDriver. He gave me permission to share the info.

The Spring
997GT2RS rear, part # 997.333.531.81
Free length: 202mm , Upper ID: 86.5mm , Lower ID: 61mm.
Notes: with the exception of the tail end coils which are flattened to mate to the OEM platforms, the four main coils are evenly spaced, so I consider this to be a linear-rate springs. Which is inline with the OEM's decision to use in conjunction with helper spring since this isn't a progressive-rate spring. The "25/10" marking on the spring I believe has nothing to do with the spring rate nor height, my guess is it means that it was manufactured in the 25th week of year 2010.

The Spring Rate Test
I did three different spring rate tests using a prototype billet aluminum top plate as the upper compression platform. This was necessary since the top ID isn't a standardized diameter.

Let it be know that the height of the lower compression platform on the spring tester is a height of 30mm from the base. During the tests we will be subtracting this height of 30mm in order to know the actual compressed height of the spring.

Before we get to testing, here is the free length reference which the tape ruler shows 232mm, and we are subtracting 30mm of that for the height of lower compression platform. The actual spring height is 203mm with 2 in-lb of preload.

Test #1: Using the standard method of compressing the spring 1.0 inch(25.4mm) from its free length. With the compressed height of the spring is 174mm(204mm minus 30mm for the lower platform) the spring rate is 624 in-lb.

Test #2: The spring was compressed until the display shows 100 in-lbs and then from this height, the spring is further compressed 1 inch(25.4mm). As per the display shown 732 in-lb minus 100 in-lbs equals 632 in-lbs as the spring rate in this test.

Test #3, part 1: I compressed the spring 15mm to simulate static load, at 15mm of compression the spring rate is 298 in-lb.

Test #3, part 2: From this height, I then further compressed the spring by 1 inch(25.4mm) and came to 952 in-lb. Taking the 952 in-lb minus the 298 in-lb(from Test #3, part 1) of the simulated static load the spring rate measures 657 in-lbs.

The average of the three tests is 637.6 in-lb (114 kg/mm).

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 05-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

huh...I thought that was the same spring rate from the 997.2 non RS as well. Perhaps the rates are all very similar and the damping or controller are the magic, as was noted before.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Thank you Tom for reporting your findings.

Is it safe to conclude that the springs on the rest of GT models (excluding 4.0) are not linear but rather progressive ?
They all seem to have ~115 kg /mm but it's HOW they get to 115 kg/mm that makes the difference ?

Mr. Stout, you're the clever one - would appreciate your opinion !
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 535 Posts

You're welcome.

Is it safe to conclude that the springs on the rest of GT models (excluding 4.0) are not linear but rather progressive ?
Yes, the 4.0 and GT2RS rear springs look to be the most linear-rate of the bunch, thus the most race car-like of the bunch.

They all seem to have ~115 kg /mm but it's HOW they get to 115 kg/mm that makes the difference ?
Correct. Even having different numbers of coils that produce the same rate can have different characteristic.
More info on this link- https://www.hypercoils.com/tech-tips...nsion-springs/

Between the different 997-series GTx generations they all have different design rear springs. Very different actually. The 4.0 and GT2RS look to be the most linear-rate of the bunch.
Here's an image of the different rear springs for visual comparison.
Left: 997.1 GT3/RS, Middle 997.2 GT3/RS 3.8, Right: GT2RS
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I also want to thank Tom. This is awesome detective work. The data is invaluable. Greatly appreciated.

Crazy F1, can you please leave stout out of this thread. I think we have a sufficient answer to the original question. Why don't you check out what Chris Harris said when he drove it if you want another opinion?

We've got enough data to chew on for awhile.

Sorry brother....

PS stout is no mere mortal. He is the fastest driver on the back roads I've ever encountered.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 616 Posts

A second on the thanks to Tom. Real data, collected intelligently, is always great to get.

If there's one thing I've learned after studying Porsche for 20+ years, it's never safe to conclude anything!

Mr. Stout, you're the clever one - would appreciate your opinion !
I don't know about that! When it comes to parts and development, there's only one good source: The source. I do know of a guy I can try to track down next time I'm over. It ain't gonna happen over the phone, and the last time I saw him, I was sitting at a junction in the countryside near the Ring in an R, and he flew up in a 991.2 RS proto and flipped a fast U-turn. A nod with a thin smile, and then he was gone...dispensing at least five gears in rapid succession. Or I'll bug a friend in Flacht—but it might take a while to get a proper answer. I am curious too, now...

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
PS stout is no mere mortal. He is the fastest driver on the back roads I've ever encountered (who doesn't have a death wish and doesn't enjoy scaring passengers).
Thanks, JBO, but FIFY. I enjoy using a sports car as intended, but I'm no wild man on the street and don't appreciate those who are. BUT, these are road cars, so how they go down a road and what feelings they elicit while doing so means a lot to me.

Last edited by stout; 05-08-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:04 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also per jcastle's picture the helper spring is fully compressed so isn't actually doing anything and that I assume is already with the car jacked up??[/QUOTE]

helper spring is compressed because the car was on the ground. snapped photo thru the wheel.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:32 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I got the main springs, helper springs. thank you Tom for the fine packaging. Really appreciate it.
I'll document the retrofit this weekend. Any request in particular from the rennlist community ?
I'll weight the spring individually, in grams and post.

Random thought. Does the DSC have anyway i can log data driving same roads w/ oem springs and with these springs and share with the community ?
Just to see logs of the behavior of the shocks rebound/compression if any effects ?

Quick Reply: 997 gt3 4.0 rear suspension ?