Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another intermittent non-start

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Another intermittent non-start

I did read the various forum threads about intermittent non-start issues and I have not performed all the diagnostic steps outlined yet, so at the risk of taking up extra forum bandwidth I'll put my specific issue out there in hopes of tapping into the collective knowledge.

2008 GT3 RS

Symptoms
  • No-start when cold
  • Problem does not occur when engine is warmed up
  • Starter interlock relay is known good
  • Battery tests good
  • Battery terminals are firmly attached and clean
  • Key is properly recognized i.e. Immobilizer is properly disabled - dash properly displays Key 1 or Key 2
  • Can hear clutch microswitch contact close - also jumpered terminals - no change
  • Can hear fuel pump build pressure
  • Starter clicks but does not turn over
  • Repeated ignition cycles do nothing

Now here's where it gets "interesting". Causing a physical disturbance namely opening and closing the engine lid allows the car to start immediately. It cranks strongly and fires up right away.

I have not attempted to trace the starter wiring under the car, so there is the possibility there is a loose connection. The engine was out to have the coolant pipes pinned about 3,000 miles ago and at that time the crank position sensor was replaced preventatively. The problem did not occur immediately after the engine out work but started a few months thereafter. However it was never present prior to the engine coming out.

I am leaning toward a bad physical connection somewhere in the ignition system in the engine bay. I'd really appreciate any suggestions / photos, etc.

Much appreciated.

/alex

Last edited by ard; 02-19-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Starter clicks when this is happening but doesn't turn over?
Replace the starter.

Not sure how it could be ignition related if the starter is not turning over. I'd expect it to crank but not start.

I've on my 2nd starter, replaced about a year ago because I'd get some funky behavior with a click and no starter engagement. New starter fixed it.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 PM
ard
Pro

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Starter clicks when this is happening but doesn't turn over?
Correct. Why would the starter work when the engine is warm, though? Does the difference in hot vs. cold behavior indict the starter?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ard
Correct. Why would the starter work when the engine is warm, though? Does the difference in hot vs. cold behavior indict the starter?
Starters are funny, they can kind of get "frozen" in the non working on position. That's why when they're going out, you can tap on them and they will work again. This may be why it works when you shut your engine cover.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Suggest starting with engine lid open

If doesn't start then whack starter with pry bar and try again

If yes that time replace starter if no bad ground
Old 02-21-2018, 03:12 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key? Can you hear if the starter motor is whirring, but not engaging the engine gears.?

SOunds like a bad starter.

You could try it at night with the headlights on. If the lights dim a bit (not sure about if the Xenons do this - the old incandescents do), then the starter is drawing power, and it's the starter that's bad.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem. Replace the starter. Fixed mine.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:13 AM
ard
Pro

I just had the starter replaced with a new, not rebuilt Bosch unit. I have very few data points so far but each time I have started the engine when cold the starter has immediately engaged and turned over the engine and started it.

My independent did not want the old starter. Is there any $ value to the old starter or is it's best use as a door stop?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:49 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

I sure didn't want to waste money on a starter-the culprit was the nuts holding the cable connectors. Cleaned and tightened them down. From the solenoid to the starter, if it's clicking and not turning, go down there, clean and torque the nuts. Even if it looks perfectly clean with no visible corrosion-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ter-click.html
Old 03-29-2018, 03:12 PM
757driver
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 had a similar issue, minus the engine temperature making a difference. The starter can be very finicky when it starts to go bad and behaves normally sometimes and is completely dead others. I started with a new clutch switch to no avail. Replaced the starter and good as new! Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

it can be starter or the main battery cable to starter. The cable deterioration is a known problem in the 997.1 and has same symptoms as you describe.
Cable is $100, labor is 800.
The insulation is weak and the way the cable is routed, it cracks over time and after it looses insulation, has the starter problem you describe. Another option to try.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:43 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

I cleaned everything and as mentioned tightened all connections, and it's been working ever since, no more click click click
Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I've been having the same problem but it became much worse. I installed a new clutch switch, whacked the solenoid - still "click, no start" except after multiple tries..So, I just removed the starter and dropped it off at the local starter/alternator rebuild shop, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 PM
hardrs
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ironic, but while I was following this thread I couldn't help worrying that it was going to happen to me! So, on Easter Sunday I woke up early full of anticipation for a spirited drive through the twisties in the RS and what do you know, click-click, but no engine turnover.
I have a friend who is a tech at the local Porsche Centre and I asked him to stop by to have a look yesterday. He confirmed that it was the starter motor and replacement is the best solution. Fortunately, the car is under (extended) warranty, so it should be relatively painless.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I had a similar problem with my gt2, went through some troubleshooting eventually replace the starter and no more problems

Quick Reply: Another intermittent non-start