Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Marv- well said
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
A bit of an emotional subject. However, everyone wants to think their cars are going strong with resale value and the truth is that the lower production numbers make it difficult, at best, to determine a trend. Harder still with a datapoint of one, as stated in the original post.

The truth of the matter is that any real increase in value won't happen for another decade or two and the drivers for that are not going to be easy to determine. The sudden rise in the air-cooled cars was probably fueled by Boomers and Generation Xs that finally accrued sizable wealth, then it became a trend.

Go to the 996 GT3 board and they will try to convince you that these cars will suddenly jump in price because they are the last of the true raw GT cars. The 997 board will tell you the same precisely for the same reason when compared to the 991. Wait five years and see what the 991 board says.

Every generation of the GT cars are special and each newer generation gives something better to the market as far as performance goes. You can't knock that. People find their own level based on their available capital and personal preferences and dig deep to justify their position by what are really trivial differences in the marque when you think about it. They are all Porsches and every turn of the wheel improves performance, which is the only real reason Porsche can offer to trade up.

Maybe in twenty years my GT3 will be worth something, but I'm not holding on to it as part of an investment portfolio, so with 127K on the clock I am just driving the hell out of it. That's what Porsche intended for it.
And that there my friends is a wise man telling the truth, thank you Marv.

I also think that all of us, myself included, that drive them selectively as not to "devalue our assets", may one day feel stupid for not having enjoyed them to the fullest.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I lot of people value cars based on selling price. What people dont see is how much use they got from the car.

If a car had 60k miles on it and sold for $50k and a car with 8k miles sold for $80k miles which one was more valuable? Both may have MSRP of $140k.

The person that got 60/50 got more from the car I think. Experience is more valuable. I have more than 1 car at a time but I drive atleast 25-30k miles per year.

I make sure those miles are memorable miles. So when its time to sell, even if I get $50k, those memories are priceless and I even got $50k as pocket money.

Enjoy it
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

#STILLNOTSELLING
#DRIVEYOURPORSCHES
Old 12-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
A bit of an emotional subject. However, everyone wants to think their cars are going strong with resale value and the truth is that the lower production numbers make it difficult, at best, to determine a trend. Harder still with a datapoint of one, as stated in the original post.

The truth of the matter is that any real increase in value won't happen for another decade or two and the drivers for that are not going to be easy to determine. The sudden rise in the air-cooled cars was probably fueled by Boomers and Generation Xs that finally accrued sizable wealth, then it became a trend.

Go to the 996 GT3 board and they will try to convince you that these cars will suddenly jump in price because they are the last of the true raw GT cars. The 997 board will tell you the same precisely for the same reason when compared to the 991. Wait five years and see what the 991 board says.

Every generation of the GT cars are special and each newer generation gives something better to the market as far as performance goes. You can't knock that. People find their own level based on their available capital and personal preferences and dig deep to justify their position by what are really trivial differences in the marque when you think about it. They are all Porsches and every turn of the wheel improves performance, which is the only real reason Porsche can offer to trade up.

Maybe in twenty years my GT3 will be worth something, but I'm not holding on to it as part of an investment portfolio, so with 127K on the clock I am just driving the hell out of it. That's what Porsche intended for it.
That's awesome you have 127k on the clock!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
That's awesome you have 127k on the clock!
Yeah, still the original clutch, too, but the heater just went bad, sending coolant smell into the cabin. Looking forward to getting it back tomorrow and continuing the journey.

This car has been relatively problem free all its life, in spite of being a high performance vehicle. We are not afraid of taking it everywhere—and we do! That really says something about Porsche.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:44 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Very true Marv! I would like to find a decent GT3 at a fair price and drive it till the wheels come off. There was a point within the last year when 996 GT3's were in the 50-60K range. Then when one dealership lists a clean low mileage 996 GT3, majority of the dealers adjust their prices.

Another constant hurdle I've noticed when shopping around for a 997 GT3 is the flip game from one dealership to another in conjunction with the additional markup. I get it, they are in the business to make money but it's kind of sad to see low mile GT3's sit for months yet dealerships keep the prices firm.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:34 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-911-gt3-5/

124k MSRP, 8k mile example, perfect overrev report, etc...........Sold for 90k plus fees. Thats in line with where the market is going on these cars. That puts anything with 30K plus miles in the 80-85k range.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

interesting that Switch Cars bought this latest one.

if they turn around and relist, seems it would be hard to ask much of a premium over what they paid.
or maybe they sit on it for awhile and wait til spring when the GT3 money flows more freely.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 997 GT3 is a special car whose value will continue to rise as long as we have fuel available to drive them. The prices being paid now will look paltry in 10 years. Trust me, I sold a 964 Turbo for 57K and a 993TT for 95K. I know how to lose money on special cars!
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
interesting that Switch Cars bought this latest one.

if they turn around and relist, seems it would be hard to ask much of a premium over what they paid.
or maybe they sit on it for awhile and wait til spring when the GT3 money flows more freely.
bet this car goes for 115 when it’s relisted. 90 plus fees plus, plus transport and 10k profit
Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower

bet this car goes for 115 when it’s relisted. 90 plus fees plus, plus transport and 10k profit
We don't know if the car will be resold, but even if it does, most private sales don't end up selling at the asking price.

That makes it difficult to judge true market value. Also, the lower production numbers of the GT cars tends to make the true market value fuzzy.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:54 AM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Im hoping to sell my 997.1 to fund my new incoming one
Old 12-30-2017, 09:39 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower

A good friend of mine was the dealer who listed it on BaT. Car was in incredible shape and was a great grab at $90k. They took it in on a G Wagon trade and surprisingly lost money. I think he was surprised it didn't go higher especially given the price on the black one that sold on BaT.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I think he was surprised it didn't go higher especially given the price on the black one that sold on BaT.
Seriously? 5 minutes of research online could have sorted that out for him. That black one was clearly bogus.

Quick Reply: Prices continue to be strong for 7.1 GT3s