Does anyone know this GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 05:01 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Does anyone know this GT3?

Hi Guys,

Long time browser of the forums and just got around to actually registering. I've been watching the GT3 market for a while now and this car was listed locally so I went and test drove it last week. Seemed to be a good car but a couple of things stood out to me that I wanted to ask about from the experts here. And also see if anyone knew the history of this car.

Carfax shows a small accident back in 2011. Car was repaired by Hoffman Porsche here in CT. (Same dealer that is selling the car now) They told me that there was a small rear end hit that broke the right rear taillight. They replaced that and resprayed the rear bumper. Car has 28,000 miles. 2 new rear tires, full 30k mile maintenance done when Hoffman bought the car in August of this year. Front pads over 50% life left and rears around 65%. Coolant pipes are stock.

The story goes that the car was most recently owned by a retired doctor here in CT. He did about 15 DE events with the car but never drove it hard. He ended up passing away and his son inherited the car. Supposedly going to keep it but decided to just sell it to Hoffman instead. I know the sales manager and head of service at the dealer from previous cars I have bought and had serviced there. I don't have any reason to believe they are not telling me the whole story. But it's a dealership so who knows?

The one thing I did notice that was strange was that there is a clear bra on the front of the car and behind the front wheels. It has yellowed a little bit and the film behind the right front wheel is missing. Not sure why it was removed but makes me suspicious that there could have been other damage to the car than what they are telling me. I asked about it but they did not have an answer. Car drove straight. Pulled strong, tracked straight, and braking was good. No shaking or pulling to either side.

Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. If you guys could also chime in on the price and whether or not you think it's inline with the market that would be great.

https://hoffmanporsche.com/inventory...+White+1402259

Thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Price likely a bit high, talk to doug at switchcars, he has a nice white 997.1 for sale and he is about as legit as you will find on the seller end.
Link if you're lazy
https://www.switchcars.com/cars-for-...orsche-911-gt3

As for that car, I would take a paint meter to the whole thing especially the front end where the clear bra is missing. Yellow clear film just means that it is old and will need to be replaced or you'll have to live with the yellowing.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:25 PM
jason95R
Racer

Thanks for your input. That GT3 at switchcars looks very nice. I'll have to reach out to Doug for some more info on it.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:43 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

theres also a Meteor FS by BurnMeter. very nice too

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-metallic.html
Old 11-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Just saw this thread - I considered buying this car but ended up leaving with a 2011 911 Turbo they on the floor instead. I received a similar story about the GT3 but not a word about the small accident - I wasn't even aware of that. Given that it was tracked, I asked about the brakes since they are PCCBs (and looked surprisingly new still for a tracked car). SA told me the owner pulled them off and used steelies, hence why they still looked new. But other than the brakes, the car just had a warn look and feel to me. Maybe it was just the paint condition after being tracked without any PPF. But even the interior smelled odd (not like regular Alcantara). I felt it was priced high at $99k. Dealer was even willing to pin the coolant pipes for me at their cost but I still decided not to go for it. Funny thing is, when they had the 2011 Turbo 6mt, it was only one of a few 997.2 manuals available for sale in the country. Now they have a 2012 Turbo 6mt for sale!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Would definitely recommend getting a paint meter on the car just to check and make sure it hasn’t been resprayed.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 PM
jason95R
Racer

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Just saw this thread - I considered buying this car but ended up leaving with a 2011 911 Turbo they on the floor instead. I received a similar story about the GT3 but not a word about the small accident - I wasn't even aware of that. Given that it was tracked, I asked about the brakes since they are PCCBs (and looked surprisingly new still for a tracked car). SA told me the owner pulled them off and used steelies, hence why they still looked new. But other than the brakes, the car just had a warn look and feel to me. Maybe it was just the paint condition after being tracked without any PPF. But even the interior smelled odd (not like regular Alcantara). I felt it was priced high at $99k. Dealer was even willing to pin the coolant pipes for me at their cost but I still decided not to go for it. Funny thing is, when they had the 2011 Turbo 6mt, it was only one of a few 997.2 manuals available for sale in the country. Now they have a 2012 Turbo 6mt for sale!
That's very interesting that they never told you about the accident. They were very upfront with me about it. I agree though the whole car just seemed a little worn. I ultimately decided to pass on the car too. Just too many things that stuck out to me as strange.
I see you're in Glastonbury. Hoffman told me the last owner was a retired doctor from Glastonbury. Not sure if you ever saw the car around town. Hope you're enjoying your turbo.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jason95R
That's very interesting that they never told you about the accident. They were very upfront with me about it. I agree though the whole car just seemed a little worn. I ultimately decided to pass on the car too. Just too many things that stuck out to me as strange.
I see you're in Glastonbury. Hoffman told me the last owner was a retired doctor from Glastonbury. Not sure if you ever saw the car around town. Hope you're enjoying your turbo.
He may have just overlooked it as I didn't ask. I actually thought the Carfax was clean but after double checking it, I see it there now. The Auto check report they link on their site does not show the accident.

Anyway, I never did see it around town or at any of the local meets but there are a lot of gems in the area that rarely see the light of day, it's too bad really. It'd be nice to see these cars out more often.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
motopt22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He may have just overlooked it as I didn't ask. I actually thought the Carfax was clean but after double checking it, I see it there now. The Auto check report they link on their site does not show the accident.

Anyway, I never did see it around town or at any of the local meets but there are a lot of gems in the area that rarely see the light of day, it's too bad really. It'd be nice to see these cars out more often.
I took a quick look at this car afterhours while it was sitting on the lot. It looks a bit tired for the money in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by motopt22
I took a quick look at this car afterhours while it was sitting on the lot. It looks a bit tired for the money in my opinion.
What do you mean by tired? Paint swirl? Scrubbed tires? Worn out interior?

When I first saw the ad, the missing tow hook plug was an instant give away that she has spent some generous time at the track.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 PM
motopt22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
What do you mean by tired? Paint swirl? Scrubbed tires? Worn out interior?

When I first saw the ad, the missing tow hook plug was an instant give away that she has spent some generous time at the track.
The exterior looked average at best. I didnt spend much time looking at tires. When I peaked inside the interior looked worn, and unkept. As for body work, I cant speak to that as I didnt really inspect it all that well.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:01 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

The exterior looked average at best. I didnt spend much time looking at tires. When I peaked inside the interior looked worn, and unkept. As for body work, I cant speak to that as I didnt really inspect it all that well.
Ah, got it. I'm sure a PPI will reveal more and the car is worth the 60-70K range but the dealer is pushing it off like a premium CPO car.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

I agree from my viewing of it as well. It didn't help though that the car has been sitting outside for a while collecting dirt so it was hard to get a good assessment of the paint condition. But my recollection is that it had no PPF and being tracked has accelerated its age over 28k miles. At least it is white paint which seems to hold up (at least visually) much better than darker colors. I wouldn't be afraid to own the car though, just not at the price they are asking.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:42 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

I agree from my viewing of it as well. It didn't help though that the car has been sitting outside for a while collecting dirt so it was hard to get a good assessment of the paint condition. But my recollection is that it had no PPF and being tracked has accelerated its age over 28k miles. At least it is white paint which seems to hold up (at least visually) much better than darker colors. I wouldn't be afraid to own the car though, just not at the price they are asking.
Same here, I don't mind a track car or even damage to a certain degree. As long as it's not structural, well documented, repaired correctly and the full PPI checks out. I'm not trying to encapsulate it, I want to drive and enjoy it w/out having the anxiety of owning a minty fresh car.

That's a damn shame given the pics on AT are probably when they first got her and did a full detail. I know pics don't do justice but from pics, I assumed used and tracked but not tired.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

sheesh - it looks great in that last pic...

99 is a bit dear, but then again, the longer you wait the more you may end up paying if prices continue to rise

Quick Reply: Does anyone know this GT3?