Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0 in the wild

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I still daily drive my GT2 with 800+hp Sachs 900NM clutch full solid jointed suspension and Tractive shocks/DSC, my daily drive involves some time in congested traffic but so what, that means I get to feel the exquisite weighting and feel of the clutch, the awesome thrum of the tuned 8.4:1 3.9 litre Mezger giving instant Motronic controlled civility so that when I hit that next on ramp it can thump me with 900+NM and up to whatever speed I feel like enjoying. Cup 2s on wet roads just mean the car can move about a bit more, this is called DRIVING and its fun (to me)

I've got over 50K miles now and If I have to drive something else to work I seriously get pissed off and miss the GT2. I felt the same way about my 993 3.8 turbo which I daily drove for 12 years, I think if your are a serious petrolhead you should ALWAYS want to be in your favourite machine and Porsche 911s (prior to 991) are THE best drivers cars IMO
Ah, a kindred spirit!

I have 120K daily driven miles on my 6 GT3. Not an RS, but it's still a fun ride.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isv
Per above, one can only assume you're not that familiar with central London traffic. It's absolutely dire and I actively dread the thought of coming back from a trackday to face peak hour traffic getting into central london. I would never ever drive my 4.0 in london traffic unless I can help it and try to time all my trips to get as far away from the ring of the m25 as I can in as little time as possible. If I couldn't properly drive the car I don't see the point of crawling around at an average speed of 10mph (if that) so I'd never personally use it for daily driver duty.
I'd be surprised if TB993tt wasn't familiar with the traffic in central London... If your from the UK - and not a 95 year old dairy farmer from Yorkshire who's never gone more than 10 miles from home - you've been to central London at one time or another. Likely more than once or twice. Even I am familiar with London traffic.

I had to laugh at Wanta997's comment. The point is, you are happier sitting in traffic in a 911. I've commuted in snow (on Michelin Pilots and plowing with the lip spoiler on my 3.2 LOL), rain and shine for nearly 30 years in 911s. I moved my then GF (now wife) to my apartment in college with a roof rack and stacked moving boxes through downtown Munich.
Wouldn't have it any other way (though at the time it was my only car).
Old 11-04-2017, 06:03 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 540 Posts

^^^ and this is my point .

I like how cars are treated in Europe vs US. My 981 spyder gets parked on the street and driven for fun or to take my daughter to volleyball tourney in Egham in the rain this morning. We have a perfectly good Macan I could have taken and my daughter begged me to take. I said “no way, I’m taking the spyder and just be glad I’m keeping the top up for u!”

Although I must admit, I am 110% sure I wouldn’t have done either in my 4.0: street park or transport to vball. Light London rain?...yes. Houston TX bucket rain?....no. But no desire to pull up at school parking lot with 4.0 wing, decals and RSS x-pipe blaring away.

Speaking of Houston: go Astros. Pretty unreal to have grown up in KC for 20yrs and lived in Houston for 20yrs of my adult life and see both of my teams win a WS after having what felt like ZERO chance to even make playoffs for decades. My royals might not have a chance for another 20yrs but who knows with Stros????

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 11-04-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:59 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
I'd be surprised if TB993tt wasn't familiar with the traffic in central London... If your from the UK - and not a 95 year old dairy farmer from Yorkshire who's never gone more than 10 miles from home - you've been to central London at one time or another. Likely more than once or twice. Even I am familiar with London traffic.

I had to laugh at Wanta997's comment. The point is, you are happier sitting in traffic in a 911. I've commuted in snow (on Michelin Pilots and plowing with the lip spoiler on my 3.2 LOL), rain and shine for nearly 30 years in 911s. I moved my then GF (now wife) to my apartment in college with a roof rack and stacked moving boxes through downtown Munich.
I didn't think it really warranted a response of course I've done London, Paris,Brussels,Milan,Munich in fact I've been in traffic in most of Europe but as you say the fact that you are sitting in a 911 is the point my GT2 is like a surgical instrument mega sharp and precise and the best place to be. Like you and Marv above you either get it or you don't
Old 11-04-2017, 01:24 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
I had to laugh at Wanta997's comment. The point is, you are happier sitting in traffic in a 911.
Different strokes for different people I guess. I'm most definitely not happier crawling along for 5 miles taking over half an hour getting back into central london in a 4.0. it's bad enough in a comfortable wafter but it positively drives me nuts doing so in any kind of performance car.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 AM
oshkosh99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Does your wife know you have any of these Porsches John?
"me john?
i now hide them in a warehosue
from today’s excursion"
----
was that referring to the cars or the wife ?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to NY last April and understand why you think nobody drives their cars.

Come to the Left Coast and mooty and I will show you a good time.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:43 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle

You guys ever do any organized drives down in Seattle? Located in Vancouver but I've been meaning to take a quick road trip down to Seattle once the weather clears.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle

I beg to differ. I've put 6K miles on the RS this year all on the East Coast.
And 2K miles on my 993 since September...
Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Old 12-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Since buying my 981 Spyder, I’ve had thoughts of where in the country I can relocate to so that I can enjoy fun road trips. The car is that special, and I am frustrated at not getting to use it to it’s potential on the congested Orlando roads. Taking it to an auto cross tomorrow. Yes, I’m desperate enough to do an autocross. LOL
Old 12-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Since buying my 981 Spyder, I’ve had thoughts of where in the country I can relocate to so that I can enjoy fun road trips. The car is that special, and I am frustrated at not getting to use it to it’s potential on the congested Orlando roads. Taking it to an auto cross tomorrow. Yes, I’m desperate enough to do an autocross. LOL
You will have a blast with it!

Have you done any of the Sunrise to Sunset Road Rallies? Not high performance driving, but a lot of good fun when they come around.

Also, we've taken ours up to Asheville, NC a few times and the Blue Ride Mountains are excellent. We stayed at the Biltmore Village Inn bed and breakfast—highly recommended!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
You will have a blast with it!

Have you done any of the Sunrise to Sunset Road Rallies? Not high performance driving, but a lot of good fun when they come around.

Also, we've taken ours up to Asheville, NC a few times and the Blue Ride Mountains are excellent. We stayed at the Biltmore Village Inn bed and breakfasthighly recommended!
Marv, Ive done a couple such events, one of which ended up over in your neck of the woods at some restaurant near the cruise ship terminals. Id really love to do Asheville some day. My in laws live up there and Ive driven the brother in laws Miata on some of those fun roads. My back is the issue. Not sure I can tolerate the 9 hour drive to get there in the Spyder. Maybe one day I need to trailer it behind the RV.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer

Marv, I’ve done a couple such events, one of which ended up over in your neck of the woods at some restaurant near the cruise ship terminals. I’d really love to do Asheville some day. My in laws live up there and I’ve driven the brother in law’s Miata on some of those fun roads. My back is the issue. Not sure I can tolerate the 9 hour drive to get there in the Spyder. Maybe one day I need to trailer it behind the RV.
Sorry to hear about the back issues. Maybe a one-day layover at the half-way point would help. Probably a number of historic places to see along the way.

I still remember going up a mountain road and seeing a pedestrian along the road. Then when we turned back, we came around a curve of rock and there he was, camera in hand. There was a flash and he grabbed a shot of us rounding the curve. If it would have been safe I would have stopped to see about getting a copy. I suspect he heard the GT3 coming because he was ready for us as we came around the bend. My wife just laughed when he took the shot.

Beautiful country and top down driving must be really rewarding.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 334 Posts

Most winningest post ever on RL!

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I read this and felt quite sorry for you

Whilst I do understand why you might say this and that the culture where you live maybe means plenty of owners of these sorts of cars have exactly the same view as you, maybe worried about depreciation with mileage and scared their leg may start to ache in traffic but.....

Porsche road cars, ALL Porsche road cars are daily drivers, that has always been the massive USP of Porsche sports cars. I have been daily driving 911s since the early '90s and those 911SCs were much rawer than anything available today but still superb tactile ultimate petrolhead cars.

I still daily drive my GT2 with 800+hp Sachs 900NM clutch full solid jointed suspension and Tractive shocks/DSC, my daily drive involves some time in congested traffic but so what, that means I get to feel the exquisite weighting and feel of the clutch, the awesome thrum of the tuned 8.4:1 3.9 litre Mezger giving instant Motronic controlled civility so that when I hit that next on ramp it can thump me with 900+NM and up to whatever speed I feel like enjoying. Cup 2s on wet roads just mean the car can move about a bit more, this is called DRIVING and its fun (to me)

I've got over 50K miles now and If I have to drive something else to work I seriously get pissed off and miss the GT2. I felt the same way about my 993 3.8 turbo which I daily drove for 12 years, I think if your are a serious petrolhead you should ALWAYS want to be in your favourite machine and Porsche 911s (prior to 991) are THE best drivers cars IMO

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 in the wild