Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help: GT2 Alcantara Center Console + Dash Strip

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:10 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: GT2 Alcantara Center Console + Dash Strip

As most people probably know, the 997 interior carbon fiber bits don't last long.. Most of mine has cracked and instead of getting another cf set I'd like to go with alcantara (preferably with red stitching, otherwise the standard stitching)..

My dealer requires a VIN number of a car which has this part installed, including the dash strip (cup holder cover and the side bits) in alcantara so make sure they order the right parts.. any help would be appreciated.. don't think it makes a difference if its a US or ROW vin..

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 279 Posts

The fake CF parts in the 997 are a disgrace.
If you want a higher quality CF clone DB Carbon does a much better job than PAG.
But I think that for what you need go to exclusive option. (Not porsche)
http://www.exclusiveoption.com/
Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

FWIW I had DB Carbon make a CF center console for me and it wasn't perfect. I was able to return it after a lot of hassle. I've also purchased CF items from MA Carbon in California and their craftsmanship is top notch!

I'm sorry I can't help with the alcantara and red stitching. You might also want to post your request in the 997TT forum, there are some turbos out there optioned to the gills.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I’ve tried to go down the road of ordering oem parts with deviated stitching using another vin of a vehicle that had it and I can tell you this. It’s extremely difficult. First they can’t give you an actual price because they don’t know what it will cost, it depends what the folks in Germany want to charge at that given time. They give you an estimate in which you pay a portion of to get it made and then pay remaining whatever it comes out to be. Secondly, expect to pay way more than what exclusive option would charge. I converted my whole interior to yellow deviated stitching and carbon fiber, even to the point where I found an oem dash with yellow stitching and swapped my old dash out and that in myself. When I inquired with a vin for GT2 bucket leather covers with yellow stitching I was estimated $7k for just the leather covers (3500 each).

So what I’m saying here is there are a couple better choices.
1. Find an oem piece for sale (red deviated stitched parts come up often, yellow almost never)
2. Have exclusive option do what you want. I have a lot of pieces from them and it is perfect match to the oem stuff. I tried 3 different saddlers to compare to them as I was super picky about wanting stitch length, angle, and color to be perfect, as well as leather grain.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:04 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Also:

Porsche typically uses 9002 color code for Alcantara. However, there are slight dye lot variations so there's no chance it will 100% identical to what's there. For the price, Alcantara is not as consistent as it should be.

As for the stitching thread, porsche uses Amann thread.

You can take a look at my build thread and see all the interior work I did and close ups of the parts.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:24 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you all finding that the carbon fiber console cracked as well? Are you talking about the OEM console? or the MA Carbon console or something else? Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Are you all finding that the carbon fiber console cracked as well? Are you talking about the OEM console? or the MA Carbon console or something else? Thanks
+1 for factory center console cracked ('07)

Trending Topics

Old 10-16-2017, 11:16 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 for Exclusive Option. I attempted to use a VIN to add some leather bits to my car. Far too difficult. Exclusive Option pieces match perfectly. I am a very satisfied customer. I should also mention Exclusive is perfect for deviated stitching but also for adding more leather to any P Car. The items I bought have the same light grey stitching that Porsche uses on Full Leather interiors. Now my Full Leather GT3 has more leather. Best Josh
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

If you want any CF pieces, DBCarbon is doing their annual group buy so lots of good savings there.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...group-buy.html

I have not had any issues with cracking of MaCarbon or DBCarbon parts, very happy with both of them. Also, if you do have an issue with any part fro DBCarbon, they will replace it for you, as their parts are warrantied.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:54 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Good call on the color of the alcantara. It's not easy to match the factory shade. Same for the stitching, not just the color but spacing, etc.

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Also, if you do have an issue with any part fro DBCarbon, they will replace it for you, as their parts are warrantied.
My issue was that the part arrived defective. It was not done properly and was sent to me that way. I see that as a big problem, since the manufacturing defect was very easily identifiable if someone just looked at the part prior to packing it up for shipment.

And yeah they offer a replacement warranty, but you have to send the defective part back to Germany, then they work on it and mail it back to you. You're looking at 2 months if not more. I've got no time for that.

And frankly, I wouldn't be posting my negative experience if they just said sorry, and yes, fine, go ahead and return it. It's not like I had it for a year and it delaminated. It left their facility defective. Yet they were adamant on keeping my money and redoing the part while asking me to wait. So I had to get my CC company involved. And that was a waste of time because I knew I'd prevail, but the guy just fought me. Lame.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

My OEM CF cracked, and given our general high temps I am reluctant to go for cf again.. Exclusive have gotten in touch with me and I will see how this goes
Old 10-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by bhgt2
My OEM CF cracked, and given our general high temps I am reluctant to go for cf again.. Exclusive have gotten in touch with me and I will see how this goes
The issue is not CF, but the junk CF laminate low grade stuff PAG used in our cars. I have a 1,4xx mile ‘11 GT2RS that lives under a car cover and has warped interior bits. The catch 22 for me is do I keep the junk for originality?

Same thing happened to my ‘07 7TT and I replaced with DB many years ago = no problem.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The carbon on my CGT didn't warp or crack. However it turned yellow-ish with age. My car was always stored inside and had accumulated 5500 miles. Nothing could be done to remedy the yellowing short of replacing the entire monocoque. Bummer.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

All the yellow and cracking is a result of poor quality resin and probably some over use of it
Old 10-17-2017, 02:52 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

My car is parked in an air-conditioned garage, but Porsche Middle East said it will not replace the cracked cf under warranty because the weather in the Middle East causes the cracking.. its interesting to find out that its not the weather that causes this but its actually the lack of quality..someone needs to kick off a class action lol

Quick Reply: Help: GT2 Alcantara Center Console + Dash Strip