Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dogs and Roll bars -

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:52 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dogs and Roll bars -

Anyone put dogs in the back of their GT3? I have 2 labs, and occasionally have to pick them up.

Getting the dogs in the car is no problem - I can have the hair vacuumed out - it's just a car, albeit a pretty fun one. I don't want them in the front - 1) they both won't fit, 2) don't want to scratch the seats.

Been thinking about getting a roll bar for my track days. Looks like the one from RSS 930 will allow them entry, but does anyone else have a solution?
http://www.rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-9.../i-402509.aspx

thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My two labs have tried to get into my GT3 while I'm not looking but end up getting caught mid-way thru the act.

Let us know how it goes with them in the back seat area...I'm kind curious.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

My concern would be that if there every were a problem, your dogs would end up getting bounced around off the metal pipes - not a good outcome. Same for people...
Old 09-26-2017, 02:28 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

the agency power roll bar has a center section that un-bolts for access.

https://www.agency-power.com/shop/ra...era-gt3-turbo/
Old 09-26-2017, 03:07 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And how does that make it safe for anyone or anything?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Rbahr- I'm not looking to debate but I think it's worth accepting that people have different definitions of "safe". If the OP was interested in keeping his dogs at the highest standard of safety he wouldn't be putting them in the back of a vehicle that was manufactured without seatbelts/restraints. If we all were on an eternal quest for the safest option at every turn we probably also wouldn't be driving cars like this on a racetrack, or riding motorcycles, or eating sushi.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:01 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Agreed, but as you can see from my avatar, I put dogs pretty high on the important list, so much like I would never allow a person to be in a moving vehicle in the roll bar region, the same goes to dogs.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

My dogs are only about 46 lbs but they love riding around in the back of my 3. Bonus that they don’t shed
Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
My dogs are only about 46 lbs but they love riding around in the back of my 3. Bonus that they don’t shed
Cool. Wheaten terrier?

My dog rides in the back of my 911. In the front. I put a big towel underneath her. Like tasman, she does not shed. Regardless of what you do, please consider a safety harness. If you stop short, or heaven forbid crash, an untethered dog is a heavy missile inside your car - bad for you, bad for them.

This is sort of what we got. No affiliation, but there are many good similar products.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/d...t-harness.html

T
Old 09-26-2017, 04:50 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

While not a 997 GT3, my fat and happy lab has been able to get into the back of my 964 with a roll bar when necessary. Passenger seat is fixed, so I have to slide the drivers seat forward. She can get herself comfortable, but I'm not sure two (and definitely not our Great Dane) would be able to get back in there.

She's happier in the f350 tow vehicle where she gets the back seat to herself.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:21 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Cool. Wheaten terrier?

My dog rides in the back of my 911. In the front. I put a big towel underneath her. Like tasman, she does not shed. Regardless of what you do, please consider a safety harness. If you stop short, or heaven forbid crash, an untethered dog is a heavy missile inside your car - bad for you, bad for them.

This is sort of what we got. No affiliation, but there are many good similar products.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/d...t-harness.html

T
Yep Wheaten. Have 2 of them
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

As for safety, my dog blasted his head on his own worst than he would ever do on a roll cage (edit: and he is as good as ever, dogs are tuff animals), plus, OP can just pad it and just have two very sturdy leashes and an impact harness.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

I know this is not addressing what the OP is asking, but I can't imagine a circumstance where I would need (or want) to put any of my dogs in my GT3. If the dogs need to go with me I'll take a different car. And I don't have a rollbar which would make matters that much more tricky. At the very least I can't imagine that would be the least bit comfortable for them.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:05 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Occasionally my wife will take the dogs to doggy day care if we're out of the house for a long day - we have a yard, but if left alone at home too long - they get rambunctious - so play date to tire them out.

Anyway, on those days that I get stuck operating late, and didn't expect to have to get the dogs, I have to get them . Thus trying to figure out if they could get in the back of the car with a bar.

Yeah, I plan on padding the bars when I install them - just don't know which manufacturer yet.

- I've looked at doggy seat belts - the way they're constructed - they generally all have too much slack in the line, and just grab around the chest. In a serious accident they have a good chance of becoming a paraplegic from the torque on their legs. I guess it's better than nothing, and avoids front seat passengers from being hurt. They've been tested, and most really don't protect the dogs at all.

http://dogtime.com/how-to/pet-safety...ts-really-work

Anyway - I'm on the west side of Los Angeles - it's hard to get above 25MPH most days when I'm commuting to work.

Rbahr - what doggy seat belt do you use?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:15 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I actually only use my truck with the girls, they get the back seat to themselves. No hard surfaces. They are on the bigger size - 110lbs for one and 85lbs for the other, so they also occupy most of the space back there. FWIW, IF I sit back there, I also don't wear a seat belt. IF one were to sit in the front, I use the OEM 3 point belt, which they are not crazy about...

As an FYI: the rollbar padding is not as hard as the roll bar, BUT I would not want to bounce off it...

Ray

Quick Reply: Dogs and Roll bars -