Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Adjusting OEM GT3 coilover

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:22 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Adjusting OEM GT3 coilover

Hey guys, looking to adjust my factory 997.1 GT3 suspension slightly to even out the right height. I need to lower the front driver's side and cannot figure out exactly how to do so.

In the picture I have the lower lock collar loosened and tried turning the top two spring lock collars to thread the coilover body down slightly but it just appears to be spinning rather than actually lowering. I have the two pinch bolts loosened to allow the coilover body to thread down. I can see there is a metal sleeve around the coilover that appears to be spinning as well and that may be the issue.

I assume I am missing something obvious but do not know what. Any insight?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 290 Posts

No, tighten the bottom back up securely. Take the two spanner wrenches and turn the top collar like your compressing the spring so it will breaker free from the bottom collar.

Once it is free spin the bottom collar out of the way, now mark the top collar with a line, turn counter clockwise to decompress the spring. 1 complete turn equals 1mm, this will lower the height. Once you get it where you need it tight the two collars against each other.

BMWTYE and I just did this two his GT3.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 109 Posts

Ahh ok I follow you. So adjusting it by the top two collars doesn't change preload? What does the very bottom collar do?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 63 Posts

Suspect you realize this already. Any adjustment will affect the corner weights and that in turn will impact how the car handles. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Adjusting OEM GT3 coilover