Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

so it Smokes, badge of honor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Totally unscientific observation I've made is when I take it easy over the last mile or so of a trip it tends to smoke less. Coming in hot, so to speak, means it is more likely to smoke on startup the next time.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 429 Posts

You should just tell them to steer clear when they see you on the highway due to the danger you are putting everyone in with a bad engine. That should hive you some room to play

I usually just laugh and say it's normal.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

I think it's important to make sure the oil change did not exceed 9.5 quarts. With a hot engine your reading should be full on the display without going into the last little rectangle which indicates it's over filled. If it does, what I've done in the past is to go under the car, crack open the drain on the crank case and carefully unscrewing the plug until it starts to drip. Put something under it to collect the oil, a cup or saucer. Of course if you drop the drain plug you'll be in trouble.

I have a '74 Kawasaki H2 that smokes by design, I run Klotz castor bean oil and it's the best smelling smoke! Some times I go around the block to smell the lingering cloud
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Smokey

Mine smokes (to varying degrees) about every third time I start it, but it has to be sitting cold for more than 5-6 hours.

I've tried letting the engine idle for several minutes before shut off, but no change. I tried running different grade Mobil oils, but no change. There does not seem to be any pattern to it.

And, yes, it can be embarrassing to fire it up in a parking garage while others watch the smoke cloud linger.

Part of the GT experience, I guess.

Interestingly, I find no observable oil consumption between my 5K oil changes.

I agree w/ others who say don't overfill the tank. Below the top "full" line is preferred. I would change the oil now as you cannot be sure what care the last owner took.

In any event, and assuming you are not burning through quarts of oil, I would try and not to let it bother you.

In response to my comment about the occasional cloud, I once had a track instructor tell me I got one of the good engines, implying it had less friction than the non-smokers.

Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
I think it's important to make sure the oil change did not exceed 9.5 quarts. With a hot engine your reading should be full on the display without going into the last little rectangle which indicates it's over filled. If it does, what I've done in the past is to go under the car, crack open the drain on the crank case and carefully unscrewing the plug until it starts to drip. Put something under it to collect the oil, a cup or saucer. Of course if you drop the drain plug you'll be in trouble.

I have a '74 Kawasaki H2 that smokes by design, I run Klotz castor bean oil and it's the best smelling smoke! Some times I go around the block to smell the lingering cloud

grew up with those bikes. they are aweomse.

Now I just collect Yamaha Rd400's. I've got a Daytona a '78 and a 1985 RZ350 with 5k on the clock

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 07-29-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Not to take this tread too far astray, if you haven't seen it you may find this article interesting RAudi:

http://2smoked.com/Yamaha_1985_RZ250..._F1_RZ350.html

FWIW, my .1GT3 smokes at start up once in a while. Never noticed any correlation to any preceding events. My oil level is never maxed out. It can be humorous at times. Like when I go to take it to work once in a while and it has a smoke fart at startup in the garage, I close the door as I pull out and off I go. Later my wife goes into the garage and enjoys a nice stinky smoke bath on her way to her car.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

RAudi, I've owned the Kawasaki triple for 21 years now, had 2 others I sold, and a triple 400.
When I was 8, my uncle showed up to pick m up from school on his green RD350. He said my mom couldn't make it, so that was my first motorcycle hell ride. I got off the thing shaking from the adrenaline. That's when I got addicted to bikes

Once I saw the triples I had to get one. I rode my friend's Yamaha TZ250 on the streets-we put headlights and a tail light on it. That thing was fast, twin 250 making 90 hp! Nuts
There's a guy here that owns a TZ500, 1982 I believe. Transverse 4 cyl. He's had the first TZ 700s which became TZ 750s.

Check out the new Suter 500 two stroke, Swiss made-what a beauty:
http://suter500.com/menu/

Back to GT3 smoking-it would be interesting if the original poster could get the oil changed and report back if any changes are noticed. The thinking being that if he wasn't sure when it was done and previous owner's driving habits(short drives/no engine/oil warm up) might be a factor(?)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:46 AM
monstaR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be ok I guess.... mine smokes when I don't drive it for 5 days or more on start up
Old 07-28-2017, 12:15 AM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Switching to 5W50 reduced smoke for me. Also agree with the letting it cool down a bit before shutting off (i.e. if tracking, definitely take advantage of the cooldown lap).

I don't think the bit of smoke is harmful, regardless.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 AM
Helimini
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sin911,,,,"You should just tell them to steer clear when they see you on the highway due to the danger you are putting everyone in with a bad engine. That should hive you some room to play

I usually just laugh and say it's normal."

that's a awesome answer . I'm going to use that

thanks everyone for your answers.......after doing much reading and talking to race car mechanics etc... . I now understand "why" this high compression engine smokes and will embrace the blue cloud as normal.....it is what it is.....a amazing machine, I love every thing about the gt3 997.2.....just got it ceramic coated too . check it out

Quick Reply: so it Smokes, badge of honor?