Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Yokohama A050 sizes for 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Yokohama A050 sizes for 997.1

I am running currently A050 soft's on my 18" OZ allegerita, the wheel/tyre set came off a 996 so its running a 295/30/18 on the rear, which I noticed amongst fellow 7.1 racers they run a 295/35/18.

The question is, what are the optimum sizes for my car and can I get more than the 235/40/ under the front?

I'll be going with the mediums this time round.

Also a good source for this rubber in Sydney Australia if anyone knows it?

cheers
Old 08-22-2017, 06:01 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi. Happy to help. I have used this rubber and had great success with it. Ie; a050 medium on a 997.1. Eg 1.42 at smp gp, 1.04s at WP etc.

997.1 GT3 size
F 235.40.18
R 295.35.18

The 295.30.18 you used is the wrong rear size front to rear for the 997.1. On the limit it won't suit the abs and tc. The rolling diameter front to rear is wrong. That size is for the 996 GT3.

Try Bill at Gordon Leven motorsports

What were the softs like? Any lap times?

I only get four meets from medium. Soft must be crazy wear rate wise. They are a time attack tire...ie: 1 fast lap is their design intent.

Which car are you? I'm the white 997.1 with the gulf stripes front to rear.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:08 PM
Astrix
Racer

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Hi. Happy to help. I have used this rubber and had great success with it. Ie; a050 medium on a 997.1. Eg 1.42 at smp gp, 1.04s at WP etc.

997.1 GT3 size
F 235.40.18
R 295.35.18

The 295.30.18 you used is the wrong rear size front to rear for the 997.1. On the limit it won't suit the abs and tc. The rolling diameter front to rear is wrong. That size is for the 996 GT3.

Try Bill at Gordon Leven motorsports

What were the softs like? Any lap times?

I only get four meets from medium. Soft must be crazy wear rate wise. They are a time attack tire...ie: 1 fast lap is their design intent.

Which car are you? I'm the white 997.1 with the gulf stripes front to rear.

Thanks!

I only realised the rears were a different size at the south circuit (may) when I was talking to Daryl, I noticed he was running the 35. Which explained my issue of running out of gearing on SMP straight, the car limits in 4th into the brake zone, where as it was just right on the 19's.

The other concern was, as you said, having an ABS ICE mode, to which I have not had any instances in this car, nor do I want to. (once is enough)

The softs are great when new, loads of grip, and they behave well on the limit too! But as for times, unlike you, I am no benchmark - SMP 1:50 & Wakefield 1:08 at the moment, having said that Wakefield last weekend, my 2nd session was my best and from there the tyres just went south, the rears are now toast.

I would say if you're driving at your level, 3 meetings out of the rears, the front are a little behind that! Lots of folks say go soft front/medium rear?

I am still learning the car and I need to get the cabin sorted, I am still running the ****ty electric sports seats so I am currently hunting for seats, it's exhausting to drive at times, and I am often leaning on the door or console even with the seat belt tensioner locked down, I just sourced a CS cage for it.

I am confident there is a couple of seconds in getting the cabin sorted and learning to drive the car better.

My car is the Lapis Blue 7.1 #912, I gather your are the infamous Mark C?

Cheers, Kurt
Old 08-23-2017, 03:14 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Well....come say hi at the next meet - SMP North I think is the one. Happy to talk you through any laps etc if that will help.

I suggest medium all around - great tyre. You may find you get quite a few meets from them - and they are really fast.

For a cage - I know Daryl had a spare front too if you are chasing one - pretty rare. Also has a spare rear i think.
both OEM.

For seat - thats harder - i have a full factory cage OEM CS spec car so seats etc are carbon buckets. I do think you need a seat though. Maybe a Recaro bucket with Brey Krause adaptors is the go. Bolt in job.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 AM
Astrix
Racer

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Well....come say hi at the next meet - SMP North I think is the one. Happy to talk you through any laps etc if that will help.

I suggest medium all around - great tyre. You may find you get quite a few meets from them - and they are really fast.

For a cage - I know Daryl had a spare front too if you are chasing one - pretty rare. Also has a spare rear i think.
both OEM.

For seat - thats harder - i have a full factory cage OEM CS spec car so seats etc are carbon buckets. I do think you need a seat though. Maybe a Recaro bucket with Brey Krause adaptors is the go. Bolt in job.

I wil make a point of getting to you next meeting mate, the field is quite full this year isn't it? So you can't always get to everyone. And I appreciate the offer for advice, we will do that.

I was on his case about the rear cage, but in the long run I got a NOS OEM from a member here before he could get his one together.

I really wish this car was a CS, those OEM parts are very hard to come by now! I have been tempted many times over to go trade for a CS instead, but the colour keeps me in this one! Recaro will be my last resort, as I did want to keep it all factory for a few reasons.

I called Gordon Leven about the tyres today, no fronts for the next 2-3 months.... rears ok.

cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 AM
Astrix
Racer

Update:

I am going with soft front and medium rear, and I am having them pre-scrubbed/heat treated. - http://www.gordonleven.com/zapped4racing/about/

This sounded reasonable to me, does anyone have experience with this pre-treatment?

cheers

Quick Reply: Yokohama A050 sizes for 997.1