Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Opening it up I'm guessing is not hard. Getting the parts from ZF would be impossible. Plus the skill to take it apart and get it back together
Old 07-09-2017, 03:33 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Its weird. Porsche UK let you extend the warranty every year to 16 years after initial sale.
I just dont understand why PCNA wont stand behind their cars.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hope you get good news and they don't stiff you
Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The OP declined to pay and extend the warranty.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
Its weird. Porsche UK let you extend the warranty every year to 16 years after initial sale.
I just dont understand why PCNA wont stand behind their cars.
I like this idea: do you know what the cost would be? Does the pricing vary based on any factors (time, miles driven, etc.)?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm very surprised that Porsche will offer additional coverage's for one country and not the other.

Obviously its sales incentive driven

USA has to be Porsche's biggest customer.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'd definitely go in on an extended warranty directly from Porsche if that sort of thing is out there. My car was non CPO and I haven't sweat it but it'd be worthwhile if directly from the manufacturer
Old 07-09-2017, 11:18 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

China is now Porsche's biggest customer!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Battery plates warp and short. Non reversible reactions drop sediment that piles up. I never assume any battery is good.

Multiple codes represent confusion. Confusion represents electrical disruption. I'd replace the battery. That's me ... full of hope for the easiest fix.
Agree. I had similar issues until I replaced the battery with a Walmart brand. No more issues after 3 years. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:11 AM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel for you. It's really a crappy situation to be in and I think all PDK owners now out of warranty probably worry about this possibly happening to us as well.

With the number of units now out there, Porsche really needs to come up with some type of servicing for these rather than just replacement. My guess is ZF (if that's the supplier) probably credits them for every unit replaced so Porsche is content for now at just replacing. As more come out of warranty they're going to start to feel it in the dissatisfaction (negative PR) of customers like you.

BTW - I'm on my 2nd PDK. First was replaced under warranty at 13k miles for a hairline crack that started weeping oil.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel for the OP too. This kind of stuff is basically the reason I bought a manual transmission car. Even though Porsche's factory service manual is total crap when it comes to repairing even the manual transmission (no instructions - just remove and replace), I figure it's just a gear box. Some one will be able to work on it, although I suppose it will probably be the same issue and Porsche probably won't sell you the parts needed. At least going by the parts catalog, there are only a few external seals and similar things listed.

I contrast all of that to my old Acura's service manual which gave the complete procedure for overhauling the gearbox, procedures and spec's for checking all the internal components, etc. And I used those instructions to swap out the input shaft bearing myself when that went bad - $30 part from Honda and a few days of work, but only because I'd never worked on a transmission before, and I also swapped the clutch, flywheel, seals, etc. while I was in there. And all that readily available on a ~$20k car that was 15 years old at the time.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Just a crazy thought...

If it will cost ~$16K to replace a PDK, how much would it cost to convert the car to a MT? Even if the cost is similar, shouldn't serviceability and much lower future maintenance costs be consideration factors?

I realize that this may not be an option for many but at least it should provide food for thought.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:36 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I would try to get Porsche's Customer Relations Department involved and explain the purchase, type of use and present situation. I would be looking for some Good Will assistance from Porsche on this repair. Good luck my friend.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW my PDF was going into limp mode due to cracked ignition coils.

Have you had them checked?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
As mentioned before if was made aware of this prior I would have went manual.
As to not getting the extended when the original warranty ran out. It'm a self employed small business owner and there are times when spending $3-4k on a warranty instead of paying your mortgage just isn't the smart thing to do.

I knew it could come back and bite me in the *** before I could get the new policy. I was prepared to pay up for repairs. But $16.5k for a replacement that can't be diagnosed nor fixed for a fair rate is a problem for me.

If the trans couldn't be serviced as most can then it's an important enough piece of information that it should be made crystal clear to the buyer. Which it wasn't.

Anyhow .... just going to play it out and hope I can get this taken care of at a reasonable cost ... no I don't know what that is. Btw ... I didn't start the thread to whine and cry about this. I figured I couldn't be the only person to experience this ... expensive lesson learned.
OP I feel sorry for your sitiation but I'm confused. You keep saying that if you had known that PDK transmissions were not serviceable then you would have purchased a manual. It is pretty much out there that these transmissions do fail and replacement is about the only option and sans a warranty or throwing yourself at Porsche's mercy you writing a check for 18k.

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement