Sponsored by:

PCM software

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Deerfield
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PCM software

How can I tell if my PCM software is current (i.e. function, display, maps, etc.) - 2010 997.2? Or as current as my system can support.

If not current - estimated cost for getting it current?

I just had my 35/40 thousand mile major service ($2500 FYI) - and cant tell if this was updated or not.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...9-997-2-a.html

I have my original maps in my 2009 C2S and never had a pressing need to upgrade..... however I was just driving through South Carolina and the system read "Off Road".....I must have been on a new highway. I use Waze or Google maps for route determination given their ability to consider traffic...... so I am still not convinced I need to blow the big bucks for the update. I only experience one bug with my system and that is the POIs keep re-appearing a few days/weeks after I shut them off.

Why do you want a newer version?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Deerfield
Advanced

Thank you for that - will give it a shot.

No particular reason other than just **** about having everything as current as it can be. Everything functions properly - just don't know if there is any new functionality or bug fixes that I might be able to benefit from.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:23 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How can I tell if my PCM software is current (i.e. function, display, maps, etc.) - 2010 997.2? Or as current as my system can support.
Deerfield,

I have a 2012 997.2 and my PCM 3.0 software is version V2.20. I think I have read on this forum that there is at least a V2.24 update available.

I'm like you, I like current software so I will also be updating my PCM soon.

You can check your system version by hitting the INFO button, then OPTIONS and then drill down thru the SET PCM tab. Detailed instructions are in your owners manual.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Let us know your cost and if there were hitches..... some are getting the disks from Suncoast and having a local dealer install them. I gotta believe that if you tell your dealer this, they will match their price... at least I would.

A few of the voices in my head are telling me I have to do the upgrade.... others are telling me to spend the money on food..... toss up really.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-15-2017, 08:05 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

Anymore word on this? I have the 2.24 in my car... also wondering about the 2016 map update... the Seacoast update is simply maps
Old 07-18-2017, 02:42 PM
s4alex
Instructor

There are two different updates. I got a little screwed when I didnt know this.

I took it to the dealer when I had a service done. I asked for the PCM update. They performed it, but I did not get the NAV Map update.

So, now I have the latest for the 997.2 at 1.47. However, if I get the NAV Map update, it will put it to 2.24. Just not sure if I want to get an already old map update just to get the latest PCM which I am told doesnt add anything to the system, and mainly because I use either google maps or waze along with streamed BT. The update to 2.24 are mainly NAV updates.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Deerfield
Advanced

Did they charge you to update and if so how much?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM
s4alex
Instructor

They (Porsche of Fremont) charged me $180 for the PCM update. This was back in 02/15 looking at my invoice.

He said that if I buy the NAV update from them, free labor to install. But its like $4xx from them at the time. I might just buy it from SunCoast at like $2xx and see how much labor will be.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

I did this update last year on my 2010 4S Cab and wrote up my experience on posts 40-42 on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...confusion.html

I bought the Nav update package from Suncoast for (I think) $265-ish and I had the P Dealer do the installation for $189. That package has the discs as well as a unique code that the Dealership uses to download the actual maps themselves from Porsche's database. From what I understand, the discs don't have the underlying maps themselves, but other pieces of the overall update. I can also confirm that my firmware version is now 2.24 after the install (versus 1.47 previously). The overall GUI isn't radically different, but it's definteily a visual improvement and my Nav system now shows the roads as they ACTUALLY exist here as this replaces the factory-installed maps from 2010..... and the POI's are vastly improved as well.

Last edited by North Shore 911; 06-29-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I did this update last year on my 2010 4S Cab and wrote up my experience on posts 40-42 on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...confusion.html

I bought the Nav update package from Suncoast for (I think) $265-ish and I had the P Dealer do the installation for $189. That package has the discs as well as a unique code that the Dealership uses to download the actual maps themselves from Porsche's database. From what I understand, the discs don't have the underlying maps themselves, but other pieces of the overall update. I can also confirm that my firmware version is now 2.47 after the install (versus 1.47 previously). The overall GUI isn't radically different, but it's definteily a visual improvement and my Nav system now shows the roads as they ACTUALLY exist here as this replaces the factory-installed maps from 2010..... and the POI's are vastly improved as well.

So, dealer charged you about 2 hours of labor?

Almost no different than me buying from Suncoast or from the dealer it seems. Glad to hear the updates are worth it, which is what I was after.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by s4alex

Almost no different than me buying from Suncoast or from the dealer it seems. Glad to hear the updates are worth it, which is what I was after.
Funnily enough, when I asked my P Dealer the cost to do it all through them, they quoted some something outrageous like $900, so I happily bought the software update from Suncoast for $265, paid the Stealership the $189 to install it, and spent my leftover $$$ on more exhaust mods
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 PM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911

I bought the Nav update package from Suncoast for (I think) $265-ish and I had the P Dealer do the installation for $189. That package has the discs as well as a unique code that the Dealership uses to download the actual maps themselves from Porsche's database. From what I understand, the discs don't have the underlying maps themselves, but other pieces of the overall update. I can also confirm that my firmware version is now 2.47 after the install (versus 1.47 previously). The overall GUI isn't radically different, but it's definteily a visual improvement and my Nav system now shows the roads as they ACTUALLY exist here as this replaces the factory-installed maps from 2010..... and the POI's are vastly improved as well.
I just picked up a 2011 with no map or nav function, just phone. It is running 1.47 on I presume 3.0 hardware (?) Is there a list of new features that updating will give me or are the updates only related to map software? Can I add navigation? Seems like my AUX input is not working - any suggestions on troubleshooting (the cord and phone work). Thanks. My wife has a Tesla and updates are automatically done at night every month or so - new features in the morning and an email explaining them - that's the way it should be done!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s4alex

Alex, did you end up getting the map upgrade? I also go to the same dealer and have not upgraded my maps since the car was purchased 09’ 997.2...not sure when the map upgrades were last updated or if a new one is due to come out?

Just don’t want to upgrade my maps if a newer version is due out soon.

Thanks everyone here for the informative thread as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 AM
BER
Pro

I have a 2012 C2S that I bought in June of this year. Based on the dealer service records, the PCM and Navi had never been updated.

So, last month I had the dealer update both my PCM software and Navi maps.

They had the car for a day; I'm sure they did not work on it for 8 hours though. They charged me $375 which included a PCA discount for the software. Not cheap, but at least my PCM and maps are up-to-date.

Quick Reply: PCM software