Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Track Days vs. Car Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

I loved racing motorcycles....and still would do it but, don't heal very fast anymore. If you race you will crash at some point. Have good insurance and never ever go to the track by yourself. Never take a medical helicopter ride unless you can't so no. Insurance does not cover it.....at all. Easily a 10K ride...
Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

All lessons learned sir, like I said, I have already wrecked once. Turn 13 at Jennings GP got me. Really easy right hand corner but just got on the throttle a little too hard on the outside of the turn and lowsided.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Motorcycle track days and racing wrecked my friends hands and ankles, for what?

I track a GT3, my lap times are faster, the risk is absolutely lower and the thrill is just great for me
Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Motorcycle track days and racing wrecked my friends hands and ankles, for what?
Because it's the funnest legal thing you can do.....I have no regrets from doing it even though I've lost some use of my right wrist and right knee and ankle don't bend too well anymore. A car just does not compare to a bike on a track, period. Its fun, but a bike is way more funner..and yes if you mess up, then chances are you get hurt lots worse on a bike. But like I said, its more of younger man's game and if you have a wife and family not a good idea to be out there on one.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

younger mans game??? then how come I have 50-60 yr old men on their early 2000s beat up yamahas and suzukis crushing me through the corners?!?!

Also backmarker...if I had a GT3 I absolutely would track the **** out of it! I cant imagine how fun that is
Old 06-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I loved racing motorcycles....and still would do it but, don't heal very fast anymore. If you race you will crash at some point. Have good insurance and never ever go to the track by yourself. Never take a medical helicopter ride unless you can't so no. Insurance does not cover it.....at all. Easily a 10K ride...
This is not absolutely true. Since ACA their are providers who will cover Air Ambulance if deemed absolutely necessary. It depends on the policy.

With that said. I have been a track day Motorcycle junkie for the last 7 years. Had one crash thus far, about two years ago. Tucked the front at turn 5 at HPR in Colorado. Mixed conditions cold tire @ 60 MPH. I walked away with some bruising. Albeit, in the 50-60 odd track days I have participated in, I never once saw a single helicopter ride. They are rare. I saw maybe half a dozen ambulance rides. Majority of the time it's a collarbone/ankle/hand injury. Either way, the juice is worth the squeeze.

Like others have said, riding a motorcycle at full clip is a borderline religious experience. It takes a entirely different level of talent and focus to be fast. Driving a car at full clip is a ton of fun, but it's not even in the same ballpark as two wheels. Cars are 80% machine 20% between the ears. Bikes are 80% between the ears and 20% machine. The physical fitness alone to ride near expert level pace is astounding. You have to be extremely fit to ride a liter bike fast. Any fatty can climb behind the wheel and be fast.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

My first experience on track was on bikes. Did that for a few years and experienced the typical cycle. Go fast, go faster, crash, recover, go fast again.

I have to admit, at least a couple times a year I find myself standing in front of a bike thinking that I could be extremely fast on one knowing what I know now. The problem is i'm older, fatter and don't think I could enjoy it anymore.

I 100% agree with everyone. You cannot and will not come close to the thrill in a car. I think the closest to that was really fast laps at Watkins where you're REALLY aware that that walls are just a couple of feet off of the track.

However, I think cars are 10x more fun. You can be completely relaxed at and over the limit in the car and most of the time your penalty for being over the edge is a couple wheels off or a minor spin. Not to say things can't go REALLY wrong in a car, but it takes a much larger mistake than on a bike.

I've come to terms with being car only these days, but I still long for the thrill of a bike again. That's why I got into Karts recently as it somewhat bridges that gap.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:16 PM
DC911S
Drifting

This is not absolutely true. Since ACA their are providers who will cover Air Ambulance if deemed absolutely necessary. It depends on the policy.
I've had friends at the track get some really large bills for helicopter rides...Granted this was before the ACA...but then again the GOP is determined to scuttle that and go backwards (thats another discussion that belongs on another forum). But I've never heard of any policy covering it 100 percent, so the average cost is about 15K or so.....your still looking at a big chunk. Before the ACA most policies capped you at 1 million or so in lifetime insurance benefits. That Senate plan allows the cap to be put back on. A bad day at the track probably won't cost that unless you get paralyzed or something....but you could wring up a 200-300K tab for a bad fall, easily. My last bad one, I'm guessing for all 5 surgeries, therapy, drugs (percocet!! Yum YUM.) was 150K perhaps.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Track Days vs. Car Track Days