Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Track Days vs. Car Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Motorcycle Track Days vs. Car Track Days

So during my search for the perfect 997.2 GTS or Turbo, I have been thinking long and hard if I want to get into skydiving as my next hobby or car track days. I understand car track days are expensive due to the rubber(more expensive if you don't use rubber, all you dads know this ) but just wanted some feedback on guys that do motorcycle track days as well.

For a reference, I am a mid level Intermediate Group rider with all the groups I ride with, and do about 10-15+ motorcycle track days a year. I might as well buy Pirelli stock at the rate I buy tires for my 3 bikes.

Will I get close to the thrill of motorcycle track days?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
Yes. But a different kind of thrill. Regardless of type of vehicle the "rabbit chase" and self improvement is always a thrill. The focuses on track driving a car is of course a lot different on a bike. I find that coming from track riding instinctively have better vision and smoother inputs...in a car there's more margin for error.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 AM
USNA12
Banned

that's true, I remember when I went to Vegas before this deployment I went to a race track and rented a McLaren 570S, Huracan, and 458. Other than spinning out that damn Lamborghini twice, I was running laps in the sub 2 minutes while most people were running in the high 2s. It was fun, but I don't know, I guess something about your knee touching the pavement and your face inches from the ground adds an extra bit of danger?

Also I have wrecked going about 110mph at Jennings GP in Florida, that wasn't the most fun, bike and I both survived and made it back to the track the next day with some wrenching while I was icing my neck and back.
On car track days how many cars are on the course at a time?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 534 Posts

On car track days how many cars are on the course at a time?
That depends on the organizing party and the size of the track. Some are packed to the max capacity allowed by the particular track. There are private events that have less cars.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

USNA12, see email on my HALO experience.

As Tom notes, track day participation count varies widely. I've been in private days ($$$$) where there are 15-20 cars total, 5 out at a time, 8-10 sessions for the day. I think the more usual is 100-120 cars broken into four run classes (Beginner to Racer), four 20-min sessions for the day with a fifth session at days end time permitting.

Also, as I've recommended to anyone contemplating tracking, do several if not a season of autocrosses to get a real feel for the car.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:38 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 105 Posts

I was also a mid-level intermediate rider before switching over to cars (had an 899 Panigale). As was mentioned above, a big part of the thrill comes from the self-improvement aspect of it. My track car has just a little more power than my bike and weights 6 times as much, but I wouldn't say I'm having any less fun out there.

The other big thing for me was safety - I never wrecked on a street bike, but have plenty of times on a dirt bike. I figure the best case scenario is a low-side where your bike gets banged up. The worst case is a high-side where you're all but guaranteed a broken wrist and broken collar bone, with the list of injuries only going up from there. I can be pretty banged up and still work my office job, but if you happen to be a helicopter pilot, for example, you may not have that luxury. Just something to think about (dad-mode just kicked in, sorry! )

But to answer your actual question - car track days are exponentially more expense than bikes. Every single wear item costs way more for a car than it does for a bike...to think I used to cringe over having to buy a $200 rear tire!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:26 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

You want a real thrill....get a real race license for WERA or SSC for bike racing. Real racing, not a silly track day. Done both.....do real racing.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:41 PM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by DC911S
You want a real thrill....get a real race license for WERA or SSC for bike racing. Real racing, not a silly track day. Done both.....do real racing.
That's why I am getting rid of the Panigale and moving to a R6. I cant control the Panigale and I need to learn how to carry more speed through corners. I figured a year or two on the R6 with some time with Cornerspin for dirt track skills, and then going to CCS if I am "winning" Advanced class track days.

Fine. Ill take the car to the track. Or at least very least a few autocross days to get a feel for it.

Also I cant check gmail, but I will look up the HALO email when I get that luxury back.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

PM sent
Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM
DC911S
Drifting

With a rookie race license I don't think WERA or CCS will allow you to race a liter bike in your first season unless to totally kick rear. But it's possible I'm wrong on that.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:15 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not get nearly the same thrill in a car as a bike so I may go to a car TD once every few years.

And in a car, at least when you start out, there is a an instructor with you. That instructor can make or break your TD experience.

My first car TD was in a miata and my instructor was a spec miata racer and it was a fantastic experience. The second TD it was just some dude with a lot of TDs under his belt who became an instructor and for various reasons he ruined that TD for me.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:21 PM
DC911S
Drifting

You seem to be in the know with car services in Na Va in McLean...ever use Dentmasters?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
You seem to be in the know with car services in Na Va in McLean...ever use Dentmasters?
I assume that's to me...no I don't know anything about them. If you need PDR I can give you a contact.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I do track days on a zx6r (usually go with the expert group) and plan on doing new racer school and novice races next year. I also have a 500hp LS6 drift car for drifting which is fun but not as fun as riding on track

I contemplated taking my 997 on the track but I don't think it would be as fun as racing my motorcycle. It also would be much more expensive

Group B (intermediate) track day riding is fun but once you go at group A/racing pace it's a whole new level of fun. IMO, more fun than any car can provide
Old 06-22-2017, 02:36 PM
USNA12
Banned

So stick to the track days on the bike is what I am gathering. Good to know. Helping me decide between a GTS(if the right one ever pops up) and spending a little more money on a Turbo since the chances of them going to a track is slight.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Track Days vs. Car Track Days