Extensive 997 4S Restoration, Preservation and Protection Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Lightbulb Extensive 997 4S Restoration, Preservation and Protection Project

**update: Video of the final results was posted to page 2 on 9/12/17**

One of the things that is great about my career is that I regularly get told, "I have been dreaming of getting a XXXXXXX my whole life and now that I have, I want you to make her perfect for me". Getting to make someones pride and joy sing for them brings all of us at DDAS joy and fulfillment in our craft. For this Porsche 997 911 4S, we were to perform paint correction, remove the old clear bra that neither looked good nor had good coverage and replace it with our performance paint protection film wrap, remove the wheels for a full detail and application of Modesta BC-06 and BC-08 and then cap off the paint and film with Modesta BC-04.

These services will greatly enhance the gloss of the surfaces, protect them and make them easier to clean than would otherwise be possible.

Follow along with our images to get a window into how a project like this proceeds. I hope you enjoy!

·Our service starts with a pre-treat of P21S Total Auto Wash on the lowers so that while we clean the wheel areas, the build up on the lowers can begin to break down.
·Then wheels, wheel wells and tires are thoroughly cleaned.
·We come back to the paint, pre-treat all surfaces with P21S Total Auto Wash, agitate nooks and crannies with a soft boar's hair brush to remove years of build up, rinse the pre-treat away and then a hand wash.
·The paint is decontaminated with a chemical cleaner designed to break down oils, glazes and other residues that will mask the condition of the paint.
·The painted surfaces are clay barred to remove bonded contaminates.

The clear bra that was originally installed on the car about 7 years ago held up pretty well. It helped protect the surfaces from rock chips and other defects but it was definitely time to come off. Too, we wanted to give more ideal coverage on the areas that would wear and give an installation that was aesthetically more pleasing. Front end film was removed along with the rear quarter/hip/fender-factory film. The performance wrap would look better and protect better across the board.

With all the film removed, we began the paint correction process. It started with removal of the rear badges (urgh...years of build up...this is the right way to do things!). All surfaces are buttoned up and the paint comes away from the process with truly world class gloss and luster.

But with paint correction comes a million little dust particles that would LLLLLLOVE to find its way under our paint protection film installation. So she gets another gentle hand wash to flush the surfaces free of any particles that would affect our paint protection film installation process.

Next, the wheels are removed and thoroughly detailed along with the wheel well, calipers and suspension. The wheels are then treated with Modesta BC-06, cured, then treated with Modesta BC-08 and cured again. Modesta BC-06 offers industry-leading heat resistance for wheels and calipers. Laying Modesta BC-08 over the BC-06 is a level of opulence that...well, quite frankly I do it for myself but our clients greatly benefit with added gloss and an even more hydrophobic surface. In the end, the wheels are a dream to take care of and look incredible.

Now onto the paint protection film. For a Porsche 997 911, headlights are removed for maximum coverage on the fenders and bumper, mirrors, hood, fenders and front bumper are custom wrapped for beautiful fit and finish. Rocker panels are fully protected and are wrapped inside the door opening, rear fender opening and reach about 24" up between the door and rear fender opening. Protection is added behind the rear wheels and a 20-mil thick additional layer is added to the highest wear and tear areas inside the fender lips. The film we used on this 997 is Clear Guard Nano. At 8.2 mils thick, it is the thickest film on the market and it has a gorgeous gloss with minimal texture that gives it a paint-like look anyone will be happy with.

Once all film is installed, it is time for Modesta BC-04 to be applied to the full painted surfaces and over the paint protection film. This will give the surface a thin and real layer of silica glass that is clear and hard. It adds a great shine and luster beyond even what paint correction can accomplish alone and is easy to care for. With upwards of 10 years of protection with proper care, it will pay dividends for years to come!

When all buttoned up, she looked like real dime piece!

Thank you for reading and if you enjoyed the piece, feel free to share!

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 09-12-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it man great work. Great attention to detail. Wish all detailers were as thorough
Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Silver Stealth
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up THAT'S MY CAR!!!

Jean-Claude and his team did such an AMAZING job. I got the car home in the garage after picking it up and just pulled out a chair to stare at the little details.

I originally found the car out in Colorado at a Porsche dealer back in January. Flew out and drove it back to Atlanta. I thought the paint was in pretty fair shape, given the age of the car. It wasn't until I saw the finished results that my jaw literally dropped. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time so this type of investment was totally worth it to me.

The icing on the cake is the performance wrap that goes far beyond a front clear bra and will be a great asset on the track, as it covers all the critical areas. No more ugly stone guards!

If you're in the market for something like this, I can't recommend Detailed Designs Auto Spa enough!

-Chris
Old 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Fantastic work. Love every little detail about this job. That's how it's supposed to be done. Wish we had a detailer that provides this level of service in this part of the world. Please share other vehicles you work on as well if possible.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

that looks great
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Can I ask a few questions
1. When drying the car, how do you deal with all the water that seems to get trapped inside the mirrors and underside of the door jams? if you move the car it blobs out water.

2. If you can't take your wheels off, how would you recommend cleaning the interior of the rims (inner part, not outer) my rims seem to have a cake of brake dust that power washing does not budge, on the interior of the wheel only.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
1. When drying the car, how do you deal with all the water that seems to get trapped inside the mirrors and underside of the door jams? if you move the car it blobs out water.

2. If you can't take your wheels off, how would you recommend cleaning the interior of the rims (inner part, not outer) my rims seem to have a cake of brake dust that power washing does not budge, on the interior of the wheel only.
1 -
Air Force Master Blaster Air Force Master Blaster

2 -
Wheel Woolies Wheel Woolies
with Sonax wheel cleaner (or equivalent) - dried with Air Force Master Blaster.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
Love it man great work. Great attention to detail. Wish all detailers were as thorough
Thank you GTA.

Originally Posted by Silver Stealth
Jean-Claude and his team did such an AMAZING job. I got the car home in the garage after picking it up and just pulled out a chair to stare at the little details.

I originally found the car out in Colorado at a Porsche dealer back in January. Flew out and drove it back to Atlanta. I thought the paint was in pretty fair shape, given the age of the car. It wasn't until I saw the finished results that my jaw literally dropped. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time so this type of investment was totally worth it to me.

The icing on the cake is the performance wrap that goes far beyond a front clear bra and will be a great asset on the track, as it covers all the critical areas. No more ugly stone guards!

If you're in the market for something like this, I can't recommend Detailed Designs Auto Spa enough!

-Chris
Thanks Chris! It was a pleasure working for you and thank you very much for your patience through the project.

Originally Posted by Presto
Fantastic work. Love every little detail about this job. That's how it's supposed to be done. Wish we had a detailer that provides this level of service in this part of the world. Please share other vehicles you work on as well if possible.
If members check my threads I created, our Facebook page, Ask-A-Pro blog articles and the blog on my website they can view many projects we have worked on.

And thank you for the very kind thoughts.

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
that looks great
Thank you!

Forced air will persuade water to evacuate the nooks and crannies.

Wheel removal is kind of on the heavy-duty side of detailing. A good cleaning regime will include wheel tools and quality chemicals. I will copy/paste a DIY on cleaning wheels that I made for another automotive forum we sponsor. Let me go hunt it down.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

voiceprint1, here you go. I threw this together for you(copy/paste for the content was terrible so I made something up). Hope it helps.

How to quickly and safely wash your wheels
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

We need more of these threads.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Send all the 997's my way?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks, I notice your wearing gloves, I assume the wheel cleaner is pretty toxic stuff? I have never considered getting those long brush tools, but this rim/brake combo really does seem to need more attention.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I notice your wearing gloves, I assume the wheel cleaner is pretty toxic stuff? I have never considered getting those long brush tools, but this rim/brake combo really does seem to need more attention.
Tim, one of my techs, is wearing gloves in the pictures because during the shoot it was super cold.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

It always makes sense to wear gloves when handling chemicals... easy to do.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Here's one I just posted.
It's not a 997, but it is a 964 turbo 3.6...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...n-project.html

Quick Reply: Extensive 997 4S Restoration, Preservation and Protection Project