Sponsored by:

New to 997.1; Exhaust Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New to 997.1; Exhaust Upgrade Question

Hi all! First post. Finally, 2 months ago, I picked up my first 911 C2S, Meteor Grey, 6MT, 65K from 3 previous owners. I am SO FREAK'IN HAPPY! Last owner/seller was a great guy. He had replaced the RMS, clutch & flywheel, water pump, plugs & thermostat, all within the last 2 years. All of that work was done at a certified Porsche shop in N Central PA. I had the PPI completed at Porsche of the Main Line, outside Philly and received an outstanding report.

Mods I have completed so far:
- OEM Short Shifter
- Ceramic Tinting
- Replaced the entire head unit with Pioneer 8201 NEX
- Replaced all Bose hardware/speakers with JL Audio Amps & Focal Speakers
- Complete sound dampening to entire interior
- Hardwired new V1
- Front Inlet Screens

I am fortunate to live about 15 minutes from FabSpeed headquarters in Ft Washington, PA (everyone should visit this place - it is unbelievable!). I am interested in starting my performance upgrades. The path I have chosen involves installation of Fabspeed's Carbon-Fiber Cold Air Intake, then in a month or so, their Sport Cat X-Pipe. I don't want to drop too much in all at once, but prefer to feel out the changes incrementally. I do want the HP bump and the 'audio' improvements.

My question is this: Do any of you have -- just the Fabspeed intake and cats installed? If so, how do you like the improvements and sound? Are there any issues I should consider? I understand that at WOT, the sound will be awesome, but I am hoping during normal 'around town' driving, it won't be too loud. Any comments or replies are greatly welcomed.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:14 PM
justicepool
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a new 911 owner as well. Purchased a 2007 Carrera Cabriolet about 6 weeks ago.

I'm trying to decide what exhaust system to upgrade to. Look forward to your feedback if you go with teh Sport Cat X-Pipe. I have the Fabspeed cold air intake upgrade, just need to install it.

John
Old 06-11-2017, 09:33 PM
william123
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had fabspeed headers and sport cats installed...kept factory PSE mufflers. Sounds amazing above 3500 rpm but am underwhelmed below this. On my 993 I simply installed Fister mufflers and the sound was awesome across rpm range. I haven't added cold air intake mods but might be next step. Also considering replacing mufflers now, we'll see. Performance wise the headers/sport cats seem to have provided a more constant and smoother pull thru acceleration however feels like slight torque loss. All of this of course is feel in the seat and could just be me.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the CA intake addition will make a significant improvement in the sound output since you already have the headers and the cats. I'm reluctant to throw the headers on right away. The sense I get at the wheel from performance add-ons like these (in my other vehicles) always seems more powerful than it probably is. I will also consider replacing the OEM mufflers after I evaluate the changes. I'm hoping to get the CAI installed at Fabspeed this week!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:26 AM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a full fabspeed exhaust- headers/hfc/mufflers/x51 tips and a k&n intake. Had it installed at Fabspeed HQ. So far I've been happy with it but I did have issues with it throwing CEL's.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the fabspeed cup exhaust, fabspeed intake and a ecu tune from them. absolutely love it
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Running Fabspeed Maxflow...people tell me it sounds great! I can't really hear much in the car lol! I'm REALLY close to doing bypasses and seeing how it sounds. If I found a set close that I could test fit, I would really liked to see how they sound inside the car.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

save your money and just get Fister D Sports exhaust- he sends you a modified set then you send yours, it sounds amazing and is best mod for the money - here is video of it i made yesterday- if you cant see it just refresh
View this post on Instagram
Old 06-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 4,140 Posts

I have the full Fabspeed setup with Valvetronic mufflers (their version of PSE), including headers, 200 cell X-cats, mufflers, & J-Pipe intake (the earlier J-pipe version worked better for me vs the Y-Pipe, but that's because of my engine and wing mods - Y-pipe is better for a normal car). I installed the J-Pipe first and it was a nice increase in sound as well as throttle response. All other exhaust parts were done at the same time.

J-pipe Installed - modified heat shield for compatibility with supercharger

When first installed - all shiny and new

but actually, only the Cats were new - all other pieces were polished up prior to install to look like this

Sport/Regular Valve with braided stainless vacuum line

Currently has the heat cycled look, but would polish up again to look like new very easily

Cut outs in OEM heat shielding are so the valves moving are visible through the RUF bumper airflow cutouts

Here's a sound clip -
(I need to make a better one with harder acceleration at higher RPM as that's where it really sounds awesome).
Old 06-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Hey Everyone! Thank you so much for the positive reviews about your Fabspeed systems! Great to see you guys enjoying a product that we take great pride in making.

Originally Posted by justicepool
I'm a new 911 owner as well. Purchased a 2007 Carrera Cabriolet about 6 weeks ago.

I'm trying to decide what exhaust system to upgrade to. Look forward to your feedback if you go with teh Sport Cat X-Pipe. I have the Fabspeed cold air intake upgrade, just need to install it.

John
Congratulations on your "new" car!! And I'm happy to see you've got the cold air upgrade kit, it's a great performance add-on.

Originally Posted by william123
Just had fabspeed headers and sport cats installed...kept factory PSE mufflers. Sounds amazing above 3500 rpm but am underwhelmed below this. On my 993 I simply installed Fister mufflers and the sound was awesome across rpm range. I haven't added cold air intake mods but might be next step. Also considering replacing mufflers now, we'll see. Performance wise the headers/sport cats seem to have provided a more constant and smoother pull thru acceleration however feels like slight torque loss. All of this of course is feel in the seat and could just be me.
It's definitely not just you! The headers/sport cats combination makes close to 20-25 additional HP in conjunction. I'm glad you've enjoyed the sound above 3500, perhaps our Carbon Fiber Intake might help you fill out the range... It adds an intoxicating noise that emanates from the engine bay

Originally Posted by rwdds
I think the CA intake addition will make a significant improvement in the sound output since you already have the headers and the cats. I'm reluctant to throw the headers on right away. The sense I get at the wheel from performance add-ons like these (in my other vehicles) always seems more powerful than it probably is. I will also consider replacing the OEM mufflers after I evaluate the changes. I'm hoping to get the CAI installed at Fabspeed this week!
Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding future mods. Hope to see you at the shop this week!

Originally Posted by killacam

I have a full fabspeed exhaust- headers/hfc/mufflers/x51 tips and a k&n intake. Had it installed at Fabspeed HQ. So far I've been happy with it but I did have issues with it throwing CEL's.
Glad to hear you're happy with your setup, its one of the best for your car! Interesting to hear you've had issues with CEL's... I'll shoot over a PM so we can chat.

Originally Posted by galaxy collision
i have the fabspeed cup exhaust, fabspeed intake and a ecu tune from them. absolutely love it
Thank you so much for the kind words, glad to hear you're stoked!

Quick Reply: New to 997.1; Exhaust Upgrade Question