Sponsored by:

Rain damaged Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Grandwazoo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain damaged Boxster

Ok, I am not making this up. From time to time my 97 Boxster has rolled the drivers side window down on its own. Yesterday it decided to do it during a massive electrical storm. After the storm I found the window down and about a 3/4 inch of water behind the drivers seat. The windows would not move and nothing would light up. I found that the battery had discharged. After charging the battery and reconnecting it. The radiator cooling fan was turning on and off, the lift motor for the spoiler in the rear was running and trying to close the already closed spoiler, a strange buzzing noise was coming from the right side of the engine bay. I tried to disconnect each relay and nothing stopped running, I then unplugged the body harness in the front of the car and unplugged the spoiler motor. The car has been drying for a day now. When I do connect the battery the key will not turn the starter over. I think I may just have a Porsche that will get parted out. Ideas?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a new battery.
All hell brakes loose in the Porsche electrical system when the battery is low or has discharged.

Your battery might not be fully recharging.

I suppose the water could have caused a short that drained the battery ?

When I do connect the battery the key will not turn the starter over.
Dead battery ?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A few links to read.....

I thought my computer was totally freaking out.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...aking-out.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-problem.html

Electrical issue - driver's window motor causing a short ?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-a-short.html

Wait for someone else to help you as I am mostly a newbie
Old 06-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Also, until the car is completely dried out, charging the battery is a fool's errand. It discharged because of the water. As long as the water is still there, the car will continue to freak out.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Also, until the car is completely dried out, charging the battery is a fool's errand. It discharged because of the water. As long as the water is still there, the car will continue to freak out.
it may have discharged on the short on his window motor/regulator. so it could have been trying to lower that window until it drained dead (like keeping your finger on the window button for an hour).

so id investigate a leak in the seal in the door and a short in that motor after replacing the battery. the battery and most of the wiring harness is up high so not likely it was shorted by a bit of water in the footwell.
Check your ABS and seat motorunder the seat too to be sure it didn't short.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:53 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Just take one of the leads off and charge it. Leaving a battery below 50% will only shorten its life.

Quick Reply: Rain damaged Boxster