Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard PASM vs Bilstein B8; your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017 | 10:49 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Default Standard PASM vs Bilstein B8; your thoughts?

I am considering purchase of a new car; 2 actually, both 997.2 One is a Base C4 but has been upgraded with Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach springs. For $11k more, I can get a C2S, with no suspension mods, simply stock PASM.

The C4 is local to me (PCA guy that is a friend of a friend, and I have driven it. It is very impressive: the struts have a nice progressive stroke, aren't overly firm, and traction in the corners, especially on poorly surfaced roads and older roads that have frost heave, is particularly good. the car feels like it will almost rotate in the corners, like the suspension is allowing a tiny bit of lateral grip to slide in the apex before firming when I punch it out of the corners, almost like a rally car or a GS turn on skis at the FIS level on a steep pitch. Great setup, and far superior to a stock damper with H&R spring setup I tried awhile back. That car felt very firm, but lacked the suppleness to keep the car planted.

I can't drive the C2S I am considering, it is 1500 miles away, and there are zero to drive locally as well. How will standard PASM measure up? I know a Damptronic setup with PASM is pretty incredible, but if I spring for the C2S, I won't have another $4k to dump into suspension. The PASM has to be good out of the box.
Old 06-04-2017 | 11:12 AM
devioustrap
Instructor

Your real question is whether a C2S is worth $11k more than a C4. $11k can buy you a heck of a lot of suspension.

Do you want the other S features, or not? I wouldn't pay $11k just for PASM.
Old 06-04-2017 | 12:46 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Agree with the above comment. I had a Targa 4 prior to my C4S (both 2009). The Targa 4 was an excellent car and I never wished it had more power. As you know the owner this is a plus as you'll know how it was maintained vs. buying from a stranger.

Unless you really want the S for some other reason than PASM, I'd lean towards the local buy.
Old 06-05-2017 | 02:47 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Here's some food for thought. I did not care for PASM out of the box. Though I upgraded the module to a DSC module and that has made all the difference and completely customizeable to your liking. The set up will set you back about $1,400 for 997.1 and about $1200 for 997.2 (no need to purchase the accelerometer).

Quick Reply: Standard PASM vs Bilstein B8; your thoughts?