Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Porsche engine harness question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 10:51 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Porsche engine harness question!

I was installing a rear view camera to my 997.2 and looked at the videos that said to cut a hole in the rear passenger side grommet in the firewall that looks to house a wiring harness. I originally had a small cut which wasn't touching anything but the wire wouldn't fit and I made the cut a bit bigger and I must have nicked a little of the harness because the car won't start and had a bunch of warnings on it. Anyone know what this part of the harness is called?

And how much am I screwed ? Reaching around in the engine bay it looks like it disconnects to the actual engine wire harness near the oil filters so I'm hoping only that harness into the interior of the car needs to be fixed.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:40 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Unless you get very lucky the harness will not be an individually replaceable component. You'll have to splice the wires you've damaged back together. Solder and shrink wrap is the correct way to do this repair.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:59 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Yes I am thinking it is still part of the engine harness just into the interior side.

Does anyone have a porsche wiring picture showing the part numbers? SO I can see where its routed.

I think I will have to take it to an independant shop to do the resoldering as I don't want to risk any more damage. It was only lightly touched with a flat head screw driver as I was using that to push a RCA cable through that thick grommet.

I just want to see how this is routed...at this point I am just hoping a shop will attempt this repair without charing me for a whole new harness cost.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by beyondthegrave77
Yes I am thinking it is still part of the engine harness just into the interior side.

Does anyone have a porsche wiring picture showing the part numbers? SO I can see where its routed.

I think I will have to take it to an independant shop to do the resoldering as I don't want to risk any more damage. It was only lightly touched with a flat head screw driver as I was using that to push a RCA cable through that thick grommet.

I just want to see how this is routed...at this point I am just hoping a shop will attempt this repair without charing me for a whole new harness cost.
PM me you email, and I can send you the Porsche parts and schematics. The schematics are light on routing detail but may help.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-04-2017, 03:43 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Update,
I decided to unplug the battery and charge it to make sure the car isn't starting due to the battery being dead since the interior lights/doors were open for the few hours I was working on the car (I don't think ill be that lucky since its a new battery replaced in april). Looking at the hole I made and shining a light in the rubber I still don't see anywhere it was actually punctured so it definitely has to at least be moved into the interior of the car to be looked at.

Does anyone know a reliable porsche mechanic/electrician or even mobile mechanic in the WEST Los angeles area that is familiar with porsches? I know the interior C pillar, and rear quarter trims will need to be taken out to have the space to even fish the line into the car(after unplugging the connection in the engine bay)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:31 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Second Update,

Lady Luck was on my side it seems!!!!! I took out the battery sunday morning and had it charging all day

and it took the full 8-10 hours to charge but I just put it in the car now and the car started up immediately and all the error lights/codes cleared within 30 seconds. Words of advice always unplug battery when working on electrical stuff in the car( I had the engine lid and doors in the interior open for a few hours while I was messing with the camera wiring and I believe porsche electrical systems stay on until after the car is locked for 15-30 mins. So combined with that and trying to crank the car once or twice I must have killed the battery.

Was a stressful weekend for sure....(Don't ever google porsche harness questions as all the threads state people getting estimates of 7k-10k+ for a new harness)

Thanks Again for the Porsche Schematics BRUCE!!!! I was literally starting to take the interior apart to atleast check that harness wiring if it was nicked since I didn't see anything from the exterior before I decided to plug in the battery once to see if it turns on.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:55 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad your only damage was a dead battery :-)

Quick Reply: Urgent Porsche engine harness question!