Sponsored by:

Sometimes hell is indeed other people

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 05:27 PM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sometimes hell is indeed other people

So my car usually sits in the garage when not in use. Sometimes it's in my driveway if I'm running errands.
Take my daughter to school this morning and when we're almost there I stat to hear a metal clanging coming from the passenger rear tire area. I slow down but nothing...speed up and it starts again.
Come to a red light and I hear the sound of a big metal object hitting the ground as the light turns green. I look behind me (there's a lot of cars) and there's something big sitting on the road. Car seems fine and her school is only 200 feet away. Freaking out and wondering what just happened.
Go back to retrieve what I think might be an important piece and low and behold.
It's a one foot spike. Yes...I'm not exaggerating. It's at least a foot long and it's a spike that I assume someone stuck in my wheel well hoping for a blowout or something.
Haters gonna hate I guess.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:10 PM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

So, you're thinking someone deliberately tossed this out for you to run over? Any tire damage to your car? We talking a railroad spike?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 PM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Never seen a spike that big before looked like a foot long roofing nail. I think someone jammed it in my wheel well. No chance my tire picks that up.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weird.
Very lame.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

such a shame...
Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

ignorant people are everywhere. sounds like an eavestrough (rain gutter) nail used to support the gutters
Old 06-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear someone was an ahole! Cameras around the house or over the driveway are a must unfortunately. I bought set of 4 cameras with a 1 TB hard drive and expandable to 8 cameras for under $300 off Amazon. You can watch it from your phones, playback and download the video. No monthly "monitoring" fee. I'm not an electrical person but I was able to install all four cameras and get it up and running in a few hours.

Also, Ring has a new floodlight camera you could mount in the driveway as well. Not sure of the price. I like having multiple cameras, thus multiple views from around the house.

Just a thought. It might be some random jerk, or it might be someone with a specific issue that could come back...just saying....hope this is the last of someone being stupid and dangerous.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I picked up a rail spike in the rear tire of my 08 twin turbo back in 08. Craziest thing I ever saw, but I doubt someone did this to you intentionally. It can happen.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jlewis1436
Sorry to hear someone was an ahole! Cameras around the house or over the driveway are a must unfortunately. I bought set of 4 cameras with a 1 TB hard drive and expandable to 8 cameras for under $300 off Amazon. You can watch it from your phones, playback and download the video. No monthly "monitoring" fee. I'm not an electrical person but I was able to install all four cameras and get it up and running in a few hours.

Also, Ring has a new floodlight camera you could mount in the driveway as well. Not sure of the price. I like having multiple cameras, thus multiple views from around the house.

Just a thought. It might be some random jerk, or it might be someone with a specific issue that could come back...just saying....hope this is the last of someone being stupid and dangerous.
??? Wow, you guys live in a different world (at least in how you perceive it) than I. I did nyceven lock my doors.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
??? Wow, you guys live in a different world (at least in how you perceive it) than I. I did nyceven lock my doors.
Some of our worlds that we have been in, work in, or have seen are not always pleasant. That or there is just a reality of life. Not everyone is on this planet is here to respect you, your friends, family or property.

Based on my occupation, I have serious security concerns for my home and family. I don't own a 170 pounds dog for no reason...Carry a gun 24/7 and make sure that my family is safe. It's the cards life deals you.

I choose to live with being on guard and not living with regret of, would have, could have or if I had only...I can live with doing what needs to be done to protect myself and family. I can not live with the regret that I could have done something and failed to do so.

Some of us are just wired this way. Not saying anything against your viewpoint, it's just different then my own is all.

To quote Ret. Lt. Col. Grossman;
"Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth."
Old 06-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of our worlds that we have been in, work in, or have seen are not always pleasant. That or there is just a reality of life. Not everyone is on this planet is here to respect you, your friends, family or property.

Based on my occupation, I have serious security concerns for my home and family. I don't own a 170 pounds dog for no reason...Carry a gun 24/7 and make sure that my family is safe. It's the cards life deals you.

I choose to live with being on guard and not living with regret of, would have, could have or if I had only...I can live with doing what needs to be done to protect myself and family. I can not live with the regret that I could have done something and failed to do so.

Some of us are just wired this way. Not saying anything against your viewpoint, it's just different then my own is all.

To quote Ret. Lt. Col. Grossman;
"Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth."
Agree 100%. Two combat tours in the Infantry carrying a rifle around this world has given me a higher sense of security and threat awareness that I cannot switch off. Always present yourself as a hard target.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

That's weird but I've seen some weird stuff over the years that made me wonder, WTF?

Many years ago I had a 280ZX. One day I ran over something that made a helluva metallic clang. I pulled over and looked for damage and found none.

Weeks later, I was washing the car and something behind the rocker panel piqued my interest. I began pulling on it and when I was done, there was a two-foot by 6 inch strip of heavy steel in my hand. It was about the size of a mower blade, but flat.

I had run over it and it had wedged itself between the car and the rocker panel molding. It was almost completely hidden and took quite a bit of effort to remove. To this day I cannot imagine the physics at play that took that piece of metal from the road, to the space behind the rocker, all without doing any damage to the car.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Some of us are just wired this way.
Lol, much truth to this and illustrated brilliantly by something as simple and potentially benign as a spike in a tire that could have easily been put picked up on the road leading to a 24 hour surveillance discussion.

I am just a lowly entertainment lawyer, but have clients ranging from Madonna, Van Halen to Ed Sheeran. Some are ultra paranoid even though no one gives them a second look these days. Then some, including several I would call close friends, that are on top of the industry including one with a famous actress wife that cruises around in his Veyron, Mulsanne and etc. without a care in the world or security detail and no one bothers him . . . Another cruises in his Mansory Veyron worth about $2.4 mm without a gun or security detail. That said, they do protect their homes. I just live in gated neighborhoods.

BTW, I am definitely not one of those Sanders nut cases or liberal types. I, however, would move if I lived in a place that required that type of security. That would suck.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's road debris guys, let's not make something out of nothing.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, much truth to this and illustrated brilliantly by something as simple and potentially benign as a spike in a tire that could have easily been put picked up on the road leading to a 24 hour surveillance discussion.

BTW, I am definitely not one of those Sanders nut cases or liberal types. I, however, would move if I lived in a place that required that type of security. That would suck.
I understand your POV, and wouldn't presume you were as you stated a "Sanders nut." There are some of us who despite living in good neighborhoods, it's not like we are on a Honda Civic forum, have different views of how we choose to view life.

I work in an extremely toxic world with extremely violent and dangerous people. It's what I do. I view things differently based on my life experiences and choices. I don't feel worried at all that i live with 24hr cameras, guns, dogs, etc. I go about my day happy and knowing I'm doing the right moral thing in the world. I don't give my lifestyle choice a second thought. I don't hide in a bubble at all. I just make sure no one ever thinks about coming to pop it.

And yes, ultimately, it could only be road debris........10000%

Quick Reply: Sometimes hell is indeed other people