Sponsored by:

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Britjunkie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

I just got my 997.1 back from the paint shop where they fixed the front bumper cover and frunk. [ dirt bike fell on it ] Of course they forgot to hook up the front fogs but the real concern is they didn't reinstall the passenger side headlight correctly. While I'm trying to figure out what they did wrong, I noticed that the tray that you slide the headlight into is loose. Question is, is it supposed to be that way, and if not, how do I tighten it in the right position. I suppose I could take out the drivers light, but thought I'd inquire here first. Thanks, Mark.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

It is not supposed to be loose. The bolts to tighten that piece is underneath. You may have to remove the bumper, but first try to get to them by simply removing the fender lining.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Britjunkie
Intermediate

I just removed the headlight again and I'm guessing the body shop didn't know how to remove it and loosened the round aluminum knurled nuts under the tray so they could mask off btw the light and the fender. They also left a cable in the door loose when they took the door handle off. I'll just take it back now that I know what they did. Lesson here is even if the body shop does excellent paint work, assume they don't know Porsches.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

There's nothing to know. Take it apart, and then... put it back together the way it was.

It's hard to find good repair shops these days.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Britjunkie
Intermediate

Jag, that's the problem, I didn't take it apart so I don't know how it's supposed to go back together.
I can now tell others that the tray will come out without removing the bumper with some effort, but to access the rear knurled nut, you have to remove the lower fender liner. Those nuts are a fascinating piece of German over-engineering. You have to know that the fixed washer which slides up and down on the shaft of the nut must go above the fender sheetmetal mount, otherwise the headlight can be locked into the tray but the headlight won't locate correctly in the fender and remain a little loose and low. I tried to remove the opposite headlight to get a look at how it was supposed to go together but, of course the head of the 5 mm retaining bar was broken off.

Quick Reply: Headlights