Sponsored by:

Car won't start--jumpstart question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Car won't start--jumpstart question

I've been noticing the car hasn't been "turning over" as smoothly the past few days, and today it wouldn't start at a local coffee shop. I'm at work now, but will have my wife bring over her car and jumper cables later.

Any tips on jumping a 911? I grew up in Minnesota and jump-started many cars over the years, but not this one. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not jumped mine "yet", but I think it is straight forward. Hook up the red to battery and ground to the car.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

would be my suggestion...
Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Funny, I had a similar experience last week. I have a 2009 C2S and when I started it to go to work last Thursday it had a hard start in the morning. On my way to work the airbag light came on and stayed on. Long story short, when I got to the office I called the dealership they had me go to the car and see if the airgbag light was still on, thinking it was an airbag issue. Turned the key and car wouldn't start. Porsche roadside came to my office and jumped the battery. Took it to dealership and they promptly replaced the battery free under warranty. They told me that I had a bad cell and that I needed to drive the car minimally 500 miles per month or invest in a trickle charger. I had only been driving 300 miles per month since purchase in 09/12. I watched them jump start the car, just like any other automobile. Bottom line make sure that you drive the car a bit each week to hold the charge or risk a bad cell or failed battery.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Funny, I had a similar experience last week. I have a 2009 C2S and when I started it to go to work last Thursday it had a hard start in the morning. On my way to work the airbag light came on and stayed on. Long story short, when I got to the office I called the dealership they had me go to the car and see if the airgbag light was still on, thinking it was an airbag issue. Turned the key and car wouldn't start. Porsche roadside came to my office and jumped the battery. Took it to dealership and they promptly replaced the battery free under warranty. They told me that I had a bad cell and that I needed to drive the car minimally 500 miles per month or invest in a trickle charger. I had only been driving 300 miles per month since purchase in 09/12. I watched them jump start the car, just like any other automobile. Bottom line make sure that you drive the car a bit each week to hold the charge or risk a bad cell or failed battery.
Good that the dealer warrantied the battery. Many dealers will point to the warranty book and say if you don't do the 500/month, 6000/year, no warranty.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Good that the dealer warrantied the battery. Many dealers will point to the warranty book and say if you don't do the 500/month, 6000/year, no warranty.
My dealer wouldn't even do that. I put close to 7000 miles on my car before my 1 year old CPO'd battery gave up the ghost. Dealer said it's a wear/tear item so they wouldn't replace under warranty. $300 later I had a new battery and a fixed airbag light. I guess they say it's wear/tear because someone could theoretically leave the lights on for a few hours and drain the battery right out.

Grrrrrr.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Got dropped off at the car last night awaiting the tow truck, but figured I'd give it another shot--it started up. I'm not driving 500 miles/month, but I never had an issue when using my charger before. I think the issue has to do with lower temps; I should have been using the battery tender recently as the temps have dipped again. From now on I'll use it below 60 degrees.

Hopefully it was just a battery issue and not a starter problem, as a Porsche-knowledgeable friend suggested.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Issue could be too many short trips, battery, alternator or alternator to starter cable. Or a combination. Common symptom of a bad cable is poor starter function when the engine is hot. While the issue was more prevalent in '05's and 06's it is not unheard of in '07's. If battery and charging circuit check out it's either to many short trips and restarts or the cable is bad. Cable can be tested for resitance to determine it's condition.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

If the cable is the culprit, would the car start up with a jump? Or would the jump not work?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docfink
Thanks for the replies. Got dropped off at the car last night awaiting the tow truck, but figured I'd give it another shot--it started up. I'm not driving 500 miles/month, but I never had an issue when using my charger before. I think the issue has to do with lower temps; I should have been using the battery tender recently as the temps have dipped again. From now on I'll use it below 60 degrees.

Hopefully it was just a battery issue and not a starter problem, as a Porsche-knowledgeable friend suggested.
How old is the battery...batteries can fool you - start fine today, dead tomorrow, even if you put a maintainer on it. If it's near the end of its life, even the maintainer is no guarantee of always starting.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

"Occam's razor" is always my first thought.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
"Occam's razor" is always my first thought.
Isn't it always -
https://rennlist.com/forums/9621541-post15.html
Old 05-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Saibaji
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 997 GTS cab which will not start. It is definitely not a battery problem. The car is stuck in my garage, and I need to get it towed to the service station, but I cannot get the car in neutral to get it out of the garage, to get it on the flatbed tow truck. Because the car will not start, the shifter will not go into neutral. Any advice?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:56 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Saibaji, in the little storage tray, directly in front of the shift lever, use a small blade or screwdriver to lift and peel back the rubber mat. You will see a round hole, look down it and note the round pin. Using a small screwdriver or other implement push the pin downward. This will release the shifter lock allowing you to shift into neutral.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:03 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Saibaji
I have a 2012 997 GTS cab which will not start. It is definitely not a battery problem. The car is stuck in my garage, and I need to get it towed to the service station, but I cannot get the car in neutral to get it out of the garage, to get it on the flatbed tow truck. Because the car will not start, the shifter will not go into neutral. Any advice?
Why do you say it is not a battery problem? Does the battery turn the engine starter?

Re shifting to N follow jennifer911's advice and check your owners manual on that topic as well as towing recs.

Quick Reply: Car won't start--jumpstart question